Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1321178 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3675 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I'm... I'm going to watch this episode.... and maybe, if I get scared enough, cry into a pillow.

I watched it. Oh I feel so bad for Chef Ramsay!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3676 on: May 16, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »
We just watched this episode today, and almost immediately my whole family said, "Crazy eyes!"  There is something seriously wrong with that woman.  And did anyone notice that Gordon got so angry he actually *didn't* yell?  Wow!  It was a scary episode.

Yeah, he stayed in control.  I said it's because you don't provoke a rabid animal.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3677 on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
That's why those dishes went straight to the garbage without being seen by her.

I had the impression she and her husband wanted Ramsey in to prove them right. And got a rude awakening when he echoed what the online "bullies" said.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3678 on: May 16, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
Those are two of the weirdest people I have ever seen.  :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hopefull

« Reply #3679 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
My brother was on an episode of kitchen nightmares. I know the show can really play it up for the cameras. But the recent episode I think was what the owners were really like. That chef Amy was really really off. I am surprised Sammy hasn't been arrested for assault yet!
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3680 on: May 16, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
Roasting the tomatoes really brings out the flavor, but I don't have a food mill at home, so I tend to peel the tomatoes first (then they don't roast so well).

Do you have a wire mesh splatter guard?  I'd bet that you could use that and a large serving spoon to get the same effect.  It might not be as easy, but it should work.

You can also use a standard metal sieve.  My mother did that for years for fresh pea soup.  Hard work, but actually better than a food mill in this case, because the sieve and spoon action doesn't send the skins through like a food mill does, so the soup is much smoother made that way than it is with the food mill.  At least, my experience has been such.  Silky smooth and glorious!

My food mill doesn't send the skins through. I have to turn it counterclockwise to scrape the skins from the sieve onto the top of the blade and wipe them off with a paper towel. I need to do this for apples, tomatoes, and grapes. I like that it gets the very best of the lining of the skin into the pan.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3681 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:23 AM »
Those are two of the weirdest people I have ever seen.  :o

It gets better. A reporter knocked on the restaurant door, Amy answered and told the reporter she was trespassing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/amys-baking-company-kitchen-nightmares_n_3274345.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3682 on: May 17, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »
The sad thing is, at this point it's almost reverse PD. What should have killed them will almost certainly lead to a boom in business. At least for a little while, then either the crappy food or the fallout from the episode and Amy's crazy online activity will make them shut down. But they'll certainly be around longer specifically because of that episode.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3683 on: May 17, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »
Oh my Deity.  *is watching the episode*  And then that article?  I just - there are no words about how bad this place is.

ica171, I hope that you're wrong about the PD reversing itself.  That place needs to be closed.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Hillia

« Reply #3684 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
One of the Phoenix independent papers did an article about the show, and a woman claiming to be Amy's aunt was all over the comments about how Amy is really a very sweet person, the crazy behavior you saw on the show is all Samy's fault, he controls and dominates her and is making her crazy, keeps her isolated from her family, etc.  I don't really buy it; it could be that he encourages or feeds the behavior but she seems pretty much in control.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3685 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
The "home-made" thing reminds me of when the restaurant critic in our local paper visited a new place and asked if their pasta sauce was home-made.  The waitress answered confidently that it was.  Critic tasted it and said "Huh - tastes a lot like canned sauce to me."  The waitress said, puzzled, "Well, yes - but we open the cans ourselves on-site."

Here, restaurants do buy baked goods and desserts from other suppliers.  Usually, it's a point of pride to say on the menu that the bread comes from 'X bakery' and the desserts are from 'Y cakes'.  The suppliers are local and well-known for excellent quality.  No one minds. 

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3686 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
One of the Phoenix independent papers did an article about the show, and a woman claiming to be Amy's aunt was all over the comments about how Amy is really a very sweet person, the crazy behavior you saw on the show is all Samy's fault, he controls and dominates her and is making her crazy, keeps her isolated from her family, etc.  I don't really buy it; it could be that he encourages or feeds the behavior but she seems pretty much in control.

I don't buy that either. In the beginning of the episode, where that guy is complaining about his pizza taking an hour and a half, Samy is pretty calm in dealing with him at first. Then Amy starts mocking the guy and complaining from the back, then Samy gets upset with the customer because Amy is pushing his buttons to get him there. You can see her realize she's pushed too far right before she comes running out to intervene. That doesn't stop her from following the guy out and calling him a pansy, though. Also, given that the customer seemed to be there with another man I thought pansy was probably a slur in that context.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3687 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
I don't buy that you could "make" someone crazy in that particular way. Maybe exacerbate it, but unless he's feeding her drugs, that sort of aggressive mentality doesn't seem to be something you'd be pushed into.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3688 on: May 17, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
I don't think you can either, Twik.  It's a common defense mechanism by family members, though; blaming another person, often a partner, for things that they see as dysfunction. 

MIL blamed me for 'turning her son against his family' because DH didn't write much to her on his first deployment.  We weren't even married yet; I was in Texas, and he was in Alaska.  And it couldn't possibly have to do with the fact that MIL was a controlling Female Dog with some sort of personality disorder herself, could it?

My cousin is paranoid schizophrenic; that branch of the family believed that it was the fault of a gay man who made a pass at cousin.  Worrying that he was "that way" drove him crazy, they say.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #3689 on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Hey, ElfMama, you and I have the same mother-in-law!   I'm positive that she blames me for the fact that her son (my husband) doesn't contact her or spend time with her as often as she'd like.  The fact that she's cold and unloving couldn't possible have anything to do with it.   Two stories that come to mind are:

- When she celebrated her 65th birthday a few years back, my sister-in-law gave a speech that included "Even though you rarely told us you love us, we know that you do ..."   I was horrified and asked my husband "Is that true?"  He said sadly "Yup."

- A while ago she was being honoured by the Order of the Eastern Star, and she insisted on all four of her children joining her on-stage for her speech.  She said "I'd like to thank my children for being here - (First Daughter's Name), (Second Daughter's Name), and (Second Son's Name)."  She completely forgot my husband, who just happened to be her FIRSTBORN.   :o   When her children gaped at her in horror, she said hastily "Oh, and of course (First Son's Name)."