Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1320521 times)

z_squared82

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3705 on: May 20, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
When your business is facing the potential for budget cuts and massive layoffs, it's probably not a good idea to bug your bosses about a conference that you really want to go to in a tropical location, and you really need to know now if they will send you because you also want to take your family for a vacation at the same time.

This person was fired yesterday during a large-scale layoff at his company.

Brilliant.

I heard of someone doing something similar while I was an intern. Said reporter had always covered Overseas Sporting Event, so she went ahead and booked her (and her children and husband) to go with her to Overseas Sporting Event. Without checking first. During layoffs. And budget cuts.

I never heard what happened, but then again, I was a lowly intern.

kymom3

« Reply #3706 on: May 20, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
Heard about this last week.  Principal at local high school resigned, had been suspended with pay since late April.  Co-worker's daughter attends that school so I asked co-worker if she knew what had happened.  She contacted her daughter and we found out that the principal got in the dugout during a school baseball game and proceeded to scream at the coach because the principal did not think his son was getting the playing time he deserved.  He also told the coach that he would have him fired. 

According the the story, this was not the first time principal messed up, so we don't know if he was fired or encouraged to resign.

cwm

« Reply #3707 on: May 20, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Haven't read nearly enough of these, but I've got one. My Best Friend (BF) comes from a whole family of special snowflakes in their jobs, but she takes the cake.

She had a really good seasonal job working at one of the professional sports arenas in town. She worked an elevator for the very expensive suites. At one point she had the authority to turn away a few Secret Service agents because of the load limits of the elevator, and they had some Big Government Official coming to the game. She always says that was the highest point of her job. Literally all she had to do was hit the buttons on the elevator during games, and make sure there weren't too many people in it at once. Tickets were already checked before they got to her, so she didn't even need to do that. And she was always in uniform and there, which wasn't a problem. The problem was that her boss told her several times that she wasn't allowed to have anything with her in the elevator. She had her stool to sit on and that was it. Boring? Sure, but it was a NICE job. But she'd have two or three books at once with her because her attention tended to stray and she couldn't focus on just one. And she'd have to have her phone, too, with all the data and games. She still did her job, but when the boss showed her the camera footage and she argued with him that she was still getting everything done AFTER she'd already been written up for it, she got forcibly transferred.

Now she works in the parking lot as a parking attendant. Much lower pay, much fewer hours (they're generally told to go home within an hour or so of the game starting, except for a select few who are there to direct traffic after the game). And now that she's getting less money, she can't afford the upkeep on her car, so she can't get reliable transportation to or from work. And she refuses to look for another job because it might interfere with this one, which lasts only a few months a year.

Don't get me wrong, I love her and all, but really?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3708 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Our newer admin person was a transfer from another location, and either has a high cost of living or lots of debt, because she has been working part time jobs ever since she started here. How do I know about them? She talks about her part time jobs all the time, takes time off from her main job when something happens, etc.

She is on her 7th part time job since starting and on the 4th for this year alone. However, this job is a sales rep for a direct sales company. She is trying to get customers from her co-workers.  :o

I have worked multiple jobs when necessary, but it is best to keep them separated, and to keep your focus where the main job is!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3709 on: May 21, 2013, 12:12:37 AM »
DragonSon is only 16 (17 next month) and has had the same part time job for nearly two years.
In that time he has seen a lot of people come and go.

The most recent case of PD was a mother who came in to scream at one of the managers because her son had been fired.

Why had son been fired?
He had missed 5 shifts.  :o

How long had he had the job?
2 and a half weeks.  ::)

And no, there were no extenuating circumstances.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3710 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
I'm... I'm going to watch this episode.... and maybe, if I get scared enough, cry into a pillow.

I watched it. Oh I feel so bad for Chef Ramsay!

After reading all of this, I just knew I had to go find it on On Demand and watch it.  Wow, it's so much worse then even I'd imagined!!!   Amy is bat-poo crazy!  Both she and her husband are firmly planted in the Land of Denial!   Ramsey lasted much longer than I gave him credit for. 
This show is going to go down in history, I bet. 

z_squared82

« Reply #3711 on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
Im just plugging these in as I remember them.

I worked for a video store. Part of the end-of-day routine was count the money, fill out the paper work, put the money in the envelope, seal the envelope, put in in the safe, close the safe, change the security tape to the one dated for the next day. There were four security cameras, including one that covered the office/safe. (The opener the next day would drive the bag down to the bank.)

We had an assistant manager who just switched up the order a bit. He filled out all the paper work and made sure the totals were correct. He would then take the tape out of the recorder, take money out of the bag, hide it wherever he hid it, but the new tape in, and then sealed up the bag and put it in the safe.

I think it only took two or three times to figure out why the paper work total was not equal to the amount of cash in the bag. He was fired.

Shalamar

« Reply #3712 on: May 21, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »
White Dragon's post reminded me of my nephew.  A while ago he got a job as a bus boy at Olive Garden.  His shifts were in the evening from 5:00 to midnight.  He was fired after a month.  Why?  He kept sleeping in and coming in late.    ::)

z_squared82

« Reply #3713 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »
I used to work for a small Media Outlet. There were two sides to the business: the business side (advertising) and the editorial side (content). Although I have only worked in one type of media, I expect this is typical of radio, magazine, TV, newspapers, certain blogs or web-only news sites.

I worked on the editorial side. And I refused (and still refuse) to believe she scrabbled her way to the top. I honestly believe she had to have been good at her job at some point in time.

But not when I was working there. Shed come in an hour late, take a two-hour lunch at Expensive Restaurant on Company Dime, leave an hour early, be unreachable at home, and generally have nothing to do with producing the media product. Which she was supposed to be in charge of.

But she was a double minority (female and black in a white man dominated industry), so there was no way they company was going to let her go (they loved to tout diversity). I just kept hoping shed get promoted away.

alkira6

« Reply #3714 on: May 22, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
I used to work for a small Media Outlet. There were two sides to the business: the business side (advertising) and the editorial side (content). Although I have only worked in one type of media, I expect this is typical of radio, magazine, TV, newspapers, certain blogs or web-only news sites.

I worked on the editorial side. And I refused (and still refuse) to believe she scrabbled her way to the top. I honestly believe she had to have been good at her job at some point in time.

But not when I was working there. Shed come in an hour late, take a two-hour lunch at Expensive Restaurant on Company Dime, leave an hour early, be unreachable at home, and generally have nothing to do with producing the media product. Which she was supposed to be in charge of.

But she was a double minority (female and black in a white man dominated industry), so there was no way they company was going to let her go (they loved to tout diversity). I just kept hoping shed get promoted away.

Sadly, I can almost understand the attitude.  No matter how hard you work, the above bolded will have some play in pay, perks, promotions.  You bust your butt proving yourself by working 3 times harder than others, and either you will either never get anywhere or you will be trotted out as an example of diversity.  Why should you continue to kill yourself? ( I know, I know - work ethic, we has it)

Amara

« Reply #3715 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

Many years ago I worked for a jobs development county department as a temp. The job lasted several months. The assistant manager in the office was also female and black; she was the only black person. Turned out that after I left she was discovered to have been embezzling money to the tune of thousands from the department by using her county credit card for personal purchases. She was eventually found by the auditors who finally got around to this department. This and not any of her other snowflakish behavior finally got someone's attention. I don't remember if she was fired but I suspect she was simply demoted. She lost a dingdangity good position and undoubtedly never held another one of responsibility.

This was the same department where the manager who lived in a town 30-35 minutes south decided he wanted to ride his bike into work. He left home at 8:00, got in about 10:00/10:30 (maybe later), took time to change and clean up, worked a bit, went on a two-hour lunch, and left around 3:00 so he could get home at quitting time. I don't think he lasted once the assistant was found out and there was some reorganization.

Then there were other old-timers who hadn't quite reached that level of PD, but when everything changed I know there was some tight oversight put in.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3716 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
Depending if the anonymous survey is really anonymous or not I and several friends may have committed Professional Darwinism. The list I submitted up thread of things my principal has done - we submitted them on the district survey. We also all gave him the lowest rating on every single thing that asked about your supervisor.

We requested that HR visit every campus at least once a semester to inform people of how to file complaints and that no member of core team (principal, AP, and several others) be allowed on campus that day. We repeatedly referred to him as a bully and of him mocking staff. 

We made it clear we would be filing complaints with the FFRF if they continued to hold required events at a church. (I left out the part that the church is associated with at least 2 groups that SPLC has on their hate group list)

I'm more worried about my friends than me. I have a substantial inheritance from my parents that I can use if I need to for emergency funds. I found out a district person that visits our campus 1x a week was pulled in and questioned about what the ehell is going on at our campus. Hoping his head will be on a platter soon.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #3717 on: May 22, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
Depending if the anonymous survey is really anonymous or not 

My department was supposed to fill out an anonymous survey. The catch was, only 2 people actually did. After the barnyard excretory product hit the oscillating air-distribution device, it was quickly determined which 2 did because those who didn't admitted to it. There goes the confidentiality of the survey.

I think that in the future, I will never again believe in the confidentiality of small-sample workplace surveys.  ::)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3718 on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:15 PM »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3719 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »
Mr 16 Years has now stopped talking to the Project Manager (in project meetings! He just sort of chirps out a short answer and then later complains to Boss about Project Manager. :o ). And he's gone back to ignoring the Senior Analyst. I've gotten one more sucking-lemons unavoidable hello out of him.

The only person even remotely related to the project he's still talking to is our senior solutions architect, whom Project Manager has taken to dragging into project meetings just so some sort of discussion will take place. I suspect the second he makes a critical remark, he's also going onto the silent ignore list. Next week I get to try participate in the meetings as well to get some kind of idea of how this solution is going to be designed. <sigh> This is gonna be a fuuuuuuuuuuuun project.  :P

And the saga drags on.

My direct manager pointed out to me that he himself has noticed that any feedback coming from a female is badly received by Mr 16 Years. It doesn't matter how I phrase the suggestion, it's like he has a hundred toes and I'm stepping on every single one of them everytime I open my mouth. I've tried to be as polite and gentle as possible when suggesting improvements, but they all get a snippy response (or silence like I never spoke at all), so I went to our direct manager and said "How do I handle this? How do I phrase things? How can I make suggestions without making him angry?". Direct manager said "I don't want to you change a single iota of how you usually do things. Make your suggestions exactly as you would to any other coworker, and if he gets upset about it and escelates to me, I'll deal with it. These are his issues and his problems and he needs to learn to handle them. Also, email the suggestions and CC me in all the email comms and let's see how it goes." I did mention the "I've been doing it this way for 16 years" comment to direct manager as an example of the kinds of responses a previous suggestion could result in, and he looked shocked.

I suggested (for the good of the project) that maybe they should hand the project over to another (male) developer if it would make things flow more smoothly with Mr 16 Years. Direct manager immediately shot that down and said "Carry on doing what you would do with any other coworker, and don't worry, he's going to be moved off this and onto other projects soon. Hang in there, do your usual good job and just ignore his attitude problems".

I finally figured out that it's not a personal thing per se (it's not that he dislikes me for being me specifically), it that he feels threatened by any self-confident woman who dares criticise his work at not being perfect. He takes any criticism from anyone hard, but it's goes nuclear when it comes from a strong woman. Mr 16 Years is fine with the couple of women in the office who are shyer and less self-confident and who make deferential suggestions in a tone that suggests "Silly me, what do I know", but if you're female and you come right out and say plainly "There's a better way to do this, why don't you try XYZ?" you get put on his own personal naughty list. I've just noticed that the women in the office he isn't talking to are all similar personalities (self-confident, outspoken, blunt, and not afraid to voice an opinion, even if it's wrong and happy to debate why that opinion is wrong).

Funnily enough, it's easier to deal with when I know he's annoying my bosses as well with his attitude and it's not just me personally being oversensitive to nonexistant subtleties of attitude.

Things are going to get tense though, because they're rearranging the office and Big Boss in his infinite wisdom has plonked Mr 16 Years three feet to my left at the same desk cluster, and I sit back to back with the other two main women on his naughty list. I don't see happy times ahead in my square footage of the office.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)