Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1252015 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3720 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:03 AM »
How the heck does he still have a job?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3721 on: May 23, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »
How the heck does he still have a job?
Because firing someone for anything that isn't a direct provable violation of company rules (or the law) requires more jumping through hoops than a three dolphin show at Sea World Aquarium.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

BB-VA

« Reply #3722 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:10 AM »
Depending if the anonymous survey is really anonymous or not 

My department was supposed to fill out an anonymous survey. The catch was, only 2 people actually did. After the barnyard excretory product hit the oscillating air-distribution device, it was quickly determined which 2 did because those who didn't admitted to it. There goes the confidentiality of the survey.

I think that in the future, I will never again believe in the confidentiality of small-sample workplace surveys.  ::)

My husband got one of those once.  It was supposedly anonymous, but it did have a serial number.  He kind of put it aside to get more important things done, and later he got a message from HR saying they had not yet received his survey.

So...maybe there was no name on it, but they defintely were tracked.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Hillia

« Reply #3723 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
Depending if the anonymous survey is really anonymous or not 

My department was supposed to fill out an anonymous survey. The catch was, only 2 people actually did. After the barnyard excretory product hit the oscillating air-distribution device, it was quickly determined which 2 did because those who didn't admitted to it. There goes the confidentiality of the survey.

I think that in the future, I will never again believe in the confidentiality of small-sample workplace surveys.  ::)

My husband got one of those once.  It was supposedly anonymous, but it did have a serial number.  He kind of put it aside to get more important things done, and later he got a message from HR saying they had not yet received his survey.

So...maybe there was no name on it, but they defintely were tracked.

At one former workplace, morale was in the basement due to high-stress jobs and unpleasant management.  An anonymous survey went out, people answered it honestly...and then we were all called in to a company meeting where the message was 'If you don't like working here, you can leave.  Your job will be filled before you're in the parking lot'.  Morale improved immediately   ::)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3724 on: May 23, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
This is why I never click anything less than "average" and even those are rarely.  No way do I believe work surveys are anonymous.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3725 on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
I'm... I'm going to watch this episode.... and maybe, if I get scared enough, cry into a pillow.

I watched it. Oh I feel so bad for Chef Ramsay!

After reading all of this, I just knew I had to go find it on On Demand and watch it.  Wow, it's so much worse then even I'd imagined!!!   Amy is bat-poo crazy!  Both she and her husband are firmly planted in the Land of Denial!   Ramsey lasted much longer than I gave him credit for. 
This show is going to go down in history, I bet.

Yeah I subjected myself to the train wreck too and am just now able to get my jaw off the floor...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3726 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Apparently the PR firm they hired has discontinued their relationship with Amy's Baking Co over differences.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3727 on: May 23, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
Apparently the PR firm they hired has discontinued their relationship with Amy's Baking Co over differences.

Gosh. Imagine that.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3728 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:27 AM »
Thier big reopening was a dud.  http://www.king5.com/entertainment/208447911.html
In Arizona, Amy and Samy Bouzaglo had planned a grand reopening ceremony and news conference for Tuesday, but the news conference was canceled late Monday after legal threats from Fox.

Fewer than a dozen people were waiting when the restaurant reopened Tuesday. Four guards blocked the door and turned reporters away. Inside, a smiling Samy Bouzaglo posed for pictures and told customers that the tension captured in the episode was staged. That was a disappointment for some.

"I wanted it to be dramatic and people yelling," said Ricky Potts, a 29-year-old blogger who ate at the restaurant for the first time Tuesday only to declare the food good and the service routine. "Basically, I wanted it to be the circus that the TV episode was."

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3729 on: May 23, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
I like that people believe him that the tension was staged, when in fact former employees have said it was all real.

poundcake

« Reply #3730 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
Thier big reopening was a dud.  http://www.king5.com/entertainment/208447911.html
In Arizona, Amy and Samy Bouzaglo had planned a grand reopening ceremony and news conference for Tuesday, but the news conference was canceled late Monday after legal threats from Fox.

Fewer than a dozen people were waiting when the restaurant reopened Tuesday. Four guards blocked the door and turned reporters away. Inside, a smiling Samy Bouzaglo posed for pictures and told customers that the tension captured in the episode was staged. That was a disappointment for some.

"I wanted it to be dramatic and people yelling," said Ricky Potts, a 29-year-old blogger who ate at the restaurant for the first time Tuesday only to declare the food good and the service routine. "Basically, I wanted it to be the circus that the TV episode was."

I'm surprised anyone thought that it would be anything OTHER than routine and boring. They "reopened" under very controlled circumstances, and were sure to be on their best behavior. Give them two weeks and check again!

Carotte

« Reply #3731 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
I like that people believe him that the tension was staged, when in fact former employees have said it was all real.

I like that the only reason Ricky Potts (and I bet many others) was there was to get a front row seat to the disaster parade.
Either 1) through magic they stop being so bad at their job that service and food gets to be ok, but not enough, and bad reputation kills them anyway or 2) this 'new us' facade last about 1 week and they're back to square 1 (actually square minus a lot).

Restaurants helped by Gordon often go under in less than a year, even when they start back on track with the best intentions, I give this one no more than 6 months (2 for the business to really taper out, 4 for them to never realize it's their fault and fall in too much debt to even pretend they are running a business).

MariaE

• So many books, so little time

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Hillia

« Reply #3733 on: May 23, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Well, appearing on national TV and stirring up such a ruckus was really dumb of him, wasn't it?  There was a lot of speculation that the business was a front for money laundering; this just adds credence to that theory.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #3734 on: May 23, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
I finally watched the show today.  So sad.