Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1471068 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3735 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:53 AM »
I don't even know where to put this, but this seemed the most appropriate thread.

We had someone interviewing for a job today. When asked why he was leaving his last job, he said it was due to a change in procedures bogging everyone down in red tape. However, my boss knows this guy personally and apparently the REAL reason he's leaving his current job is because the managers have installed microphones over each and every employee's desk.

I'll just type that again, in case you think I mistyped that. The bosses decided in their infinite wisdom that too many people are leaving the company to work elsewhere and decided the best step to take was to install microphones over every employee's desk to record everything they say during their working day.

It sounds like a plot from The Office or a satire of the work place, but no, they really really did that! Gosh, I wonder why they're hemorrhaging staff at a dizzy rate.

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Hillia

« Reply #3736 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
I don't even know where to put this, but this seemed the most appropriate thread.

We had someone interviewing for a job today. When asked why he was leaving his last job, he said it was due to a change in procedures bogging everyone down in red tape. However, my boss knows this guy personally and apparently the REAL reason he's leaving his current job is because the managers have installed microphones over each and every employee's desk.

I'll just type that again, in case you think I mistyped that. The bosses decided in their infinite wisdom that too many people are leaving the company to work elsewhere and decided the best step to take was to install microphones over every employee's desk to record everything they say during their working day.

It sounds like a plot from The Office or a satire of the work place, but no, they really really did that! Gosh, I wonder why they're hemorrhaging staff at a dizzy rate.
[/quote

Well, he was pretty diplomatic in how he addressed it. Saying 'My current office is being run by paranoid whackjobs' isn't the best way to go in an interview.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3737 on: May 24, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
I think the applicant's statement about changes in procedure was the very soul of tact.

How in the name of the Deity could an employer hope to keep tabs on every employee by recording every conversation?  Logistics of monitoring aside, the cost of installing the things would be considerable. 

Stormtreader

« Reply #3738 on: May 24, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I can think of a few employees at my place that would make them re-evaluate this plan pretty quickly.
Unless they like hearing Simons 30 minute monologues on how every company announcement will be a disaster as much as we all do... (name changed to protect the annoying ::))

Shalamar

« Reply #3739 on: May 24, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
They'd certainly get a treat hearing my co-worker describe in great detail how her toenail fell off and her toe turned interesting shades of green ...

PeterM

« Reply #3740 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »
How in the name of the Deity could an employer hope to keep tabs on every employee by recording every conversation?  Logistics of monitoring aside, the cost of installing the things would be considerable.

And the monitoring would be orders of magnitude more expensive. I'd imagine they wouldn't bother to sift through everything and would instead go with "Bob looks like he said something bad, check his feed from yesterday afternoon," but still.

I think that situation would virtually demand the old "record hours worth of inoffensive material and play it back with for the recorder" routine. Heck, maybe record the entirety of one normal day and keep replaying it over and over to see how long it takes anyone to notice.

NyaChan

« Reply #3741 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:33 AM »

And the monitoring would be orders of magnitude more expensive. I'd imagine they wouldn't bother to sift through everything and would instead go with "Bob looks like he said something bad, check his feed from yesterday afternoon," but still.

I think that situation would virtually demand the old "record hours worth of inoffensive material and play it back with for the recorder" routine. Heck, maybe record the entirety of one normal day and keep replaying it over and over to see how long it takes anyone to notice.

I think that it is more along the lines of figuring that if employees know they are being recorded, they'll be put in a state of caution and "behave."  We had video cameras up in all of our hall stores in college and the general manager used to remind us to tell our employees that they were being watched.  One day while chatting with me about an employee who had been closing the store early, the general manager admitted that the cameras weren't ever monitored, it was just to have the threat looming.

onikenbai

« Reply #3742 on: May 25, 2013, 02:22:18 AM »
The bosses decided in their infinite wisdom that too many people are leaving the company to work elsewhere and decided the best step to take was to install microphones over every employee's desk to record everything they say during their working day.

I think I and a large number of my coworkers would suddenly develop atonal whistling habits that just didn't stop all day long.  Flat Pink Floyd maybe?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3743 on: May 25, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
The bosses decided in their infinite wisdom that too many people are leaving the company to work elsewhere and decided the best step to take was to install microphones over every employee's desk to record everything they say during their working day.

I think I and a large number of my coworkers would suddenly develop atonal whistling habits that just didn't stop all day long.  Flat Pink Floyd maybe?

I think a lot of people I know would get very creative with ways to annoy any poor person who had to listen to those tapes - especially if they know management was listening in. Then listen to pleasant music via headphones so as not to annoy themselves.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3744 on: May 25, 2013, 03:25:35 AM »

I think a lot of people I know would get very creative with ways to annoy any poor person who had to listen to those tapes - especially if they know management was listening in. Then listen to pleasant music via headphones so as not to annoy themselves.

Turkey in the Straw.  Infinite Loop.  As many variations as you can find.  Especially whatever version they use on ice cream trucks.

magician5

« Reply #3745 on: May 25, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
I think that it is more along the lines of figuring that if employees know they are being recorded, they'll be put in a state of caution and "behave."  We had video cameras up in all of our hall stores in college and the general manager used to remind us to tell our employees that they were being watched.  One day while chatting with me about an employee who had been closing the store early, the general manager admitted that the cameras weren't ever monitored, it was just to have the threat looming.

It's a fairly common office-supply-catalogue offering: inexpensive fake "surveillance cameras" that don't even work.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3746 on: May 25, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
The recordings wouldn't have to be monitored by a human- they could be fed through an analysis program 'listening' for certain key words. 'Steal' or 'leave early' or curse words, or whatever...

Pen^2

« Reply #3747 on: May 25, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »
The recordings wouldn't have to be monitored by a human- they could be fed through an analysis program 'listening' for certain key words. 'Steal' or 'leave early' or curse words, or whatever...

Aye, but almost all commercially available voice-recognition software is not up to the standard needed to do such a thing for multiple employees (don't ask me how I know, long story). The cost for software capable of such a thing is quite hefty. Unless the company had a small mountain of money they needed to burn before the end of the financial year or something, it either wouldn't be worth the cost, or wouldn't work.

It seems more likely they'd keep the recordings and only listen to them if they needed dirt on someone in particular, or suspected that person for whatever reason. "Dave is coming in awfully late recently, that doesn't seem very loyal. I hope he hasn't been spreading anti-company rumours. Let's find out exactly what he's been up to." Crazy, sure, but installing microphones above every single bleeding desk is pretty high on the paranoid scale. Seriously, what company does that? Next they'll be using the recordings to enforce a ban on an increasing number of certain words from people's vocabulary until they all use Newspeak. It reminds me of that Black Books episode where Manny worked for a place that scanned the employees' retinas once every 45 seconds. "We like to think of it as showing we care."

bo

« Reply #3748 on: May 25, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
DH's work is interviewing for Senior and Jumior developers.

So this guy comes in and all is going fine. They ask interviewee "So what brings you here?"

Interviewee replies "Well I wanted to see if I wanted to work at an actual company,but I realize I don't"

Uhmm ok then.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3749 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
I used to work at a gas station that recorded the employees. They didn't tell anyone, of course, but when they came in and started reprimanding an employee for a private conversation (where she talked about problems she had with the company; I don't remember specifics of the conversation but the employee was talking to me and no customers were involved or overheard--probably not appropriate for work, but not harming the business in any way) we figured it out fast. I had liked that job before, but unsurprisingly I didn't after that. And that did end up being PD for her--she'd worked there for at least a decade and put in her two weeks shortly after that. However, when she told customers the name of the new gas station she'd be working at, she was fired.