Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1248494 times)

Jones

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3840 on: June 06, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
Story in the news today of a local religion teacher (taught a particular religious study to teens) who was caught in the act of burglarizing a home and stealing prescription meds. He confessed and asked for help with his addiction when arrested.

What do the locals have to say about this? Essentially, he is a good man and the media should erase the story as he doesn't deserve to have his good name sullied.

Um, he burglarized and stole; he asked for help when caught, but sullied his own name.

Yes, his employment has been terminated.

Frostblooded

« Reply #3841 on: June 06, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »
Story in the news today of a local religion teacher (taught a particular religious study to teens) who was caught in the act of burglarizing a home and stealing prescription meds. He confessed and asked for help with his addiction when arrested.

What do the locals have to say about this? Essentially, he is a good man and the media should erase the story as he doesn't deserve to have his good name sullied.

Um, he burglarized and stole; he asked for help when caught, but sullied his own name.

I believe I know what you're talking about, and I live in the same city as the university he was employed by. It doesn't surprise me because the locals are brainwashed and believe that anyone in this university can do no wrong.

Jones

« Reply #3842 on: June 06, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »

I believe I know what you're talking about, and I live in the same city as the university he was employed by. It doesn't surprise me because the locals are brainwashed and believe that anyone in this university can do no wrong.
Oh no...this was a high school. You aren't going to tell me this happened twice in a week? This was a high school teacher, not a university; though there are many who believe that no leader or scholar in Particular Religion can do wrong, there are plenty who have complained over School's other teachers.

z_squared82

« Reply #3843 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
Heard about this one through a friend.

The public school teachers in our area are unionized, so open positions in the district are advertised internally first, then to the general population. Preference is always given to current employees.

Teach at my friend’s school has applied for a teaching position at a different school. Said teacher also has permission to talk to his nurse everyday about whatever happens to be ailing him (evidently, it’s a lot).

Teacher gets a phone call. “Hi Teach, this is Nancy…” And since Nancy is the name of Teacher’s nurse, Teacher proceeds to monologue in great detail about everything that’s wrong with him that day. Aches, pains, bowel movements, sleep cycle, the works.

When Nancy can finally get a work in edgewise, she says, “Actually I’m Nancy with Other School. I just wanted to let you know we’re received your application. We’ll contact you if we want to set up an interview. Thanks!”

Standard operating procedure is to only call if you’re actually setting up the interview. There is no confirmation call.

Teacher did not get job at Other School.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3844 on: June 06, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Ceallach, I just don't want to believe someone like that exists. Good riddance!

It was incredibly frustrating - I kept giving her the benefit of the doubt, but she didn't deserve it.

In retrospect I wonder if she had delusions of getting my job, perhaps she assumed I wouldn't be able to juggle it all.  That combined with terrible time management skills and a partying personality! 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3845 on: June 06, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Can someone give me a link to a video of whatever story you were talking about with Gordon Ramsey (or the message number in here that has it)?  I've looked through the posts, and I'm not finding a link to a video - just descriptions of some kind of story that have made me curious as to what happened.

Thanks!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3846 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #3847 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
Your wish is my command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XjgHEctcy0

*goes to watch it again as her jaw needs a workout*

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

AnnaJane

« Reply #3848 on: June 06, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »
Your wish is my command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XjgHEctcy0
I just caught up with everyone else in the US and watched this, and holy cow! What worries me the most is how openly they discussed hurting their customers through their food. What's next? They intentionally give someone severe food poisoning for complaining? I read some Arizonans saying they would visit the restaurant just to see the crazy show, but that seems like a big risk.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3849 on: June 07, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
Wow, those two are even more delusional than I expected.  I assume people were blowing their behavior out of proportion, but no, the two of them are legitimately awful obnoxious people. I pity them.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3850 on: June 10, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
I was handing out widgets and widget coupons at work. A store employee came up to me to ask "What are you handing out today ? Oh, that's nice *drops to whisper* Can I have one ?" I was down to 8 widgets and still had 2 more hours I had to work. Plus the store policy is "no samples to employees on the clock." So I politely told her "Oh, I'm sorry, but I only have 8 widgets left and I really have to make them stretch. *bean dip* I like your earrings, though. Are those Mickey Mouse ?" She said "Oh", stomped away and started furiously messing with items on a display rack. She looked at me and snarled very angrily "Not like I'M a customer or anything, I guess you think. You won't give me one. I don't want one anyway!" This was not said in a joking tone, either. She was so mad that I honestly thought "Good gosh, that was an employee, right ? Please tell me that wasn't a customer who was just dressed like an employee." She had the store name badge on, so yep, angry employee  :o

Reika

« Reply #3851 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
Well, I have another potential candidate at my job. One of our supervisors (one dubbed Mr. Useless by most of us) didn't show up for work today. No call, doesn't answer the phone when called...

On one hand, I hope he had an emergency that kept him from calling, on the other I hope he's okay.

Though he might not survive the wrath of our work force management team...

Elisabunny

« Reply #3852 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
Wow, those two are even more delusional than I expected.  I assume people were blowing their behavior out of proportion, but no, the two of them are legitimately awful obnoxious people. I pity them.

What was also sad was that her pastries were apparently quite good.  If they ran just a bakery, it would probably work much better. 

Oh, and Amy really needs to work on her Cat accent. >:D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Amara

« Reply #3853 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »
Those pastries were not made by her. Rather they were purchased elsewhere. That didn't come out on the show but it did in follow-up articles.

Kariachi

« Reply #3854 on: June 11, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
I get the strange feeling this chick at my mom's work isn't gonna have to worry about lasting too long.

They make widgets, my mom works in the stock room. Yesterday one of the ladies on the floor came in, said she was working on a project and needed 4 of X part, which she didn't have a bag or label for (the parts come in individual bags that are labelled with how many of each part is required). Mom's partner-in-crime looks up the project, confirms it requires X part, gives the woman the parts and moves on. My mother then looks at the project herself, and notices that the project only calls for 2 of X.

She walks onto the floor to inquire further.

Upon being asked the woman produces her labeled bag, the one she said she didn't have, empties out 2 X, and hands them to my mother.

My mother has decreed that every time this woman comes into the stockroom for something it be signed for*, doesn't matter what.   

*Normally they simply assume that the part was forgotten when the project was put together and just record numbers on it, by signing for her parts this woman will now be first one asked if the numbers of them come out low.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."