Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1294435 times)

z_squared82

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3855 on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
I have seen people submit assignments with the placeholder text still in it.

Lorem ipsum...

I donít know if anyone lost their job over it, because I donít work for Chipotle, but I noticed a few months ago that Chipotleís to-go bags had that Lorem Ipsum placeholder text on the side. The whole side of the bag. I giggled to myself and wondered how many bags had been printed and how many people thought Chipotle was trying to be clever in (fake) LatinÖ

mumma to KMC

« Reply #3856 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
I have seen people submit assignments with the placeholder text still in it.

Lorem ipsum...

I donít know if anyone lost their job over it, because I donít work for Chipotle, but I noticed a few months ago that Chipotleís to-go bags had that Lorem Ipsum placeholder text on the side. The whole side of the bag. I giggled to myself and wondered how many bags had been printed and how many people thought Chipotle was trying to be clever in (fake) LatinÖ

A few years back, my dh and I were at a big box hardware store when I noticed that the Spanish part of a sign was the Lorem Ipsum. This wasn't a temporary sign either, but a big one that advertised a section of the store. Oops.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3857 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »

It was deliberate. From a blog:
So we turned to Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold for the truth: Is Chipotle's lorem ipsum a super-cerebral ad campaign, or a massive production error?

"It's not an accident, no," says Arnold. "It's sort of an inside joke. That block of copy is standard issue for people in advertising and design. We thought it would be funny to leave it in and see what sort of reaction it drew."

It was created by a San Francisco design firm called Sequence.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3858 on: June 11, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
Way back to home-made versus not home-made:  I call the food I make out of separate ingredients that I purchase "home-assembled."  If I use a mix I also consider that "home-assembled."  If I were to pick apples from our trees and bake a cobbler, that would be home-made (don't look for me to do that any time soon.)  At our favorite restaurant they have a dessert chef on staff - that's what she told me she was - so I'm assuming their desserts are made on the premises.   

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3859 on: June 11, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
If Dunkin' Donuts makes the simple and harmless mistake of forgetting to give you a receipt, don't go back in screaming at the employees, call them horrible racist slurs that would make Quentin Tarantino cringe, film it all on your iPhone, post the epic 8-minute rant on YouTube, and expect the world to be on your side. Guess what, it isn't. Congratulations, you are now the most awful person in the galaxy.

It's pretty safe to say that your budding career as a video spokesperson for the local restaurants and auto repair shops is over. I hope your super-duper uber-precious receipt was worth it.

Warning: NSFW in any way, shape, or form. Click here if you dare.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #3860 on: June 11, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
If Dunkin' Donuts makes the simple and harmless mistake of forgetting to give you a receipt, don't go back in screaming at the employees, call them horrible racist slurs that would make Quentin Tarantino cringe, film it all on your iPhone, post the epic 8-minute rant on YouTube, and expect the world to be on your side. Guess what, it isn't. Congratulations, you are now the most awful person in the galaxy.

It's pretty safe to say that your budding career as a video spokesperson for the local restaurants and auto repair shops is over. I hope your super-duper uber-precious receipt was worth it.

I tried to watch that yesterday, I couldn't stomach more than a couple minutes before I turned it off.  What in the world gets into some people?
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3861 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
Presented for your consideration is the story of Bela.

This is one from a good 20 years ago but it's a creepy classic.

Bela was an interesting character.  He was a Hungarian living in South Africa.  He was an Assyrioligist serving a year-long stint as a visiting scholar at a University in our city and doing his own research at the museum. 

Bela was handsome and engaging.  He had a good sense of humor and was generous with his time ank knowledge.  When he was studying inscriptions in the galleries he'd happily engage groups of school children and teach them how to pick out words in cuneiform.  The kids thought this was really cool. 

Bela was idiosyncratic.  He had a style of dress all his own.  a co-worker accurately described it as 'High tea on the rhino hunt'. 

Everyone who met Bela loved him.  We were all mystified when he suddenly disappeared from the University and the museum.   Some time later, we found out the story.

It turned out that delightful Bela was stalking the graduate student who was his research assistant.  One night, she woke up to hear noise outside her apartment door.  Groggy with sleep, she thought her cat might have gotten out and opened the door to let it back in.  Standing there was Bela...at three in the morning.   

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3862 on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
OK, my imagination is running wild... "High tea on the rhino hunt"?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3863 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »

thick unruly hair
Pith helmet
thick glasses
3 piece suit
gold watch
signet ring
canvas overcoat
bushwalking boots in the winter
leather sandals in the summer
cane optional

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3864 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »

thick unruly hair
Pith helmet
thick glasses
3 piece suit
gold watch
signet ring
canvas overcoat
cane optional

Pretty darn close.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3865 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »
Yep. I just added in a black cape with red lining in my imagination.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

eltf177

« Reply #3866 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »

This was posted over in the Special Snowflakes thread first, but as I mentioned there this is PD as well, no one in their right mind would hire this idiot for anything now...

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #3867 on: June 12, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »

This was posted over in the Special Snowflakes thread first, but as I mentioned there this is PD as well, no one in their right mind would hire this idiot for anything now...

Of course they would...she has a business degree::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3868 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
IOE, people make a point of having a 'degree' are usually very insecure about themselves.  I may mention that I have an MLS but only in the context of a post about library work. There, it may make sense.   

I once worked with someone who always introduced himself as 'Dr. X PhD'.  That is so wrong on many levels.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3869 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »

thick unruly hair
Pith helmet
thick glasses
3 piece suit
gold watch
signet ring
canvas overcoat
cane optional

I had always wondered at what point did Van Pelt from Jumanji turn crazy. Now I know