Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1338508 times)

MrTango

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4110 on: July 17, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Also, if tipping isn't done its because the employees are paid a decent living wage. I'm in a minimum wage job right now, at $16 an hour.

If I recall correctly, you're in Australia?

Your $16/hour is $14.75/hour given the current exchange rate. Minimum wage in Arizona (the state in which Amy's is located) is currently $7.80/hour.

If a server was paid that well ($14.75), I'd agree that they shouldn't also need tips.  Then again, last time I checked, Amy's Baking Company is in the United States, which is a country in which tipping is customary.  I don't think it matters that it isn't done in other countries.  They are in the US, and they ought to be held to the same standards as any other US business.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4111 on: July 17, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
Also, I think Amy's is in one of the (many) U.S. states where the minimum wage for waitstaff is much lower than for other occupations. Legally/theoretically, that's because tips are supposed to make up for it, and if they don't the employer is supposed to cover the difference. That's not well enforced in general, but "we're going to take your tips and leave you with $4.80 an hour" (that's the Arizona minimum for tipped employees, with a "tip credit" of $3/hour which I would be astonished if that employer had been going to pay).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4112 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
You have to be very careful when playing the Memaw card...

I may have told this story before.  A worker took time off because her father was in the hospital.  Imagine what happened when the company wanted to send flowers to her poor sick dad.  She wasn't fired, but it must not be comfortable to have her every move scrutinized from then on.  But nobody felt sorry for her since she brought that discomfort on herself.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4113 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
You have to be very careful when playing the Memaw card...

I may have told this story before.  A worker took time off because her father was in the hospital.  Imagine what happened when the company wanted to send flowers to her poor sick dad.  She wasn't fired, but it must not be comfortable to have her every move scrutinized from then on.  But nobody felt sorry for her since she brought that discomfort on herself.

It just boggles my mind that people actually do this! My dad had cancer, and right before I was supposed to go down for Christmas, he took a turn for the worse, and ended up in the hospital. Which meant I had to rush home from work, gather my stuff, and make the 8 hour drive there, not knowing if I'd be able to say goodbye or not. I told my bosses initially, yes, I'll work a bit but once I got there, my mind just wasn't in it.  Which they understood.

I was able to say goodbye to him, etc. as he hung on for another few days, but it was horrible, so I can't imagine lying about something like that simply to get out of work.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4114 on: July 17, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
Reminds me of this story:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Summary: a man writes a very sarcastic letter to a local paper in Glendale, AZ, complaining about a flight of 4 Air Force jets flying low over his neighborhood and calling the pilots 'Tom Cruise wannabes'.  The base commander sends a reply, noting that the flight was a memorial fly by for an airman who had been killed in Iraq.  At least the original complainer had the grace to write another letter, apologizing for the first.
Many years ago, I had a client tell me the Air Force was buzzing her house at night. I started thinking that she needed some major psychiatric meds until the case manager with me complained they were buzzing her house, too. Turns out that the Air Force Reserves did training flights during certain months of the year, and part of what they were training on was flying over variable terrain at night, close to the ground. The client was 100% oriented to reality when she said they would fly along the creekbed near her house then suddenly gain altitude to go over her house. It was well-known to rural residents who lived near interesting terrain features, that several weeks out of the year, their sleep was going to be disturbed by jets. They got considerably more ho-hum about it than I would have, though.  :o

After a while you don't hear the noise of the jets.  I have friends who lived on the approach to a major airport.  The first time I visited, all I could hear was the noise of the jets taking off and landing.  After a few hours, I realized that it was awfully quiet all of a sudden, so I went outside to see what had happened.  About 10 seconds later a huge jet flew so close I could read the numbers on the tail.  Apparently, your brain just tunes it out after a while.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4115 on: July 18, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
Also, if tipping isn't done its because the employees are paid a decent living wage. I'm in a minimum wage job right now, at $16 an hour.

Your $16/hour is $14.75/hour given the current exchange rate. Minimum wage in Arizona (the state in which Amy's is located) is currently $7.80/hour.

If a server was paid that well ($14.75), I'd agree that they shouldn't also need tips.  Then again, last time I checked, Amy's Baking Company is in the United States, which is a country in which tipping is customary.  I don't think it matters that it isn't done in other countries.  They are in the US, and they ought to be held to the same standards as any other US business.
Thing is, her argument of keeping this left out the decent living way thing, which is what I was pointing out.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4116 on: July 18, 2013, 12:42:13 AM »
"Common sense" is actually one of the least common things in the world, in my experience - and that of not a few philosophers over the centuries (Plato to Mark Twain).  Or there wouldn't be so many aphorisms that are variations on that theme.

Common sense - so rare it's a superpower.

http://joebattlelines.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/deadpool_common_sense.jpg

Tiny bit of bad language ahoy.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4117 on: July 18, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »
"Common sense" is actually one of the least common things in the world, in my experience - and that of not a few philosophers over the centuries (Plato to Mark Twain).  Or there wouldn't be so many aphorisms that are variations on that theme.

Common sense - so rare it's a superpower.

http://joebattlelines.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/deadpool_common_sense.jpg

Tiny bit of bad language ahoy.

Deadpool?  Where's that like button...

BarensMom

« Reply #4118 on: July 18, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »

Thing is, her argument of keeping this left out the decent living way thing, which is what I was pointing out.

Also, if I understand the law correctly, the IRS charges tax not only on a server's base wage, but also on their estimated tip earnings.  So Amy is screwing her employees twice over.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4119 on: July 18, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
Reminds me of this story:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Summary: a man writes a very sarcastic letter to a local paper in Glendale, AZ, complaining about a flight of 4 Air Force jets flying low over his neighborhood and calling the pilots 'Tom Cruise wannabes'.  The base commander sends a reply, noting that the flight was a memorial fly by for an airman who had been killed in Iraq.  At least the original complainer had the grace to write another letter, apologizing for the first.
Many years ago, I had a client tell me the Air Force was buzzing her house at night. I started thinking that she needed some major psychiatric meds until the case manager with me complained they were buzzing her house, too. Turns out that the Air Force Reserves did training flights during certain months of the year, and part of what they were training on was flying over variable terrain at night, close to the ground. The client was 100% oriented to reality when she said they would fly along the creekbed near her house then suddenly gain altitude to go over her house. It was well-known to rural residents who lived near interesting terrain features, that several weeks out of the year, their sleep was going to be disturbed by jets. They got considerably more ho-hum about it than I would have, though.  :o

After a while you don't hear the noise of the jets.  I have friends who lived on the approach to a major airport.  The first time I visited, all I could hear was the noise of the jets taking off and landing.  After a few hours, I realized that it was awfully quiet all of a sudden, so I went outside to see what had happened.  About 10 seconds later a huge jet flew so close I could read the numbers on the tail.  Apparently, your brain just tunes it out after a while.

You do. My last apt was near a busy municipal airport. And not too far from a regional trauma center, and also in the flight path for Newark airport.  So you heard stuff in the air all the time, but got used to it. Except when the copters flew so low they rattled the rather old windows in my house!

After 911 when all flights were grounded, it was eerily quiet for several days.

Same with traffic; my first apt was on a main road, so I got used to hearing cars swoosh by all the time. Several months after I moved, I went home to stay at my parents to cat and house sit, and was shocked by HOW much quieter it w as.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #4120 on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
Found out about the latest PD at my church today: the youth minister decided to buy and give out movie passes to the local theater as a reward to the youth in the church for something or other.  She found out, the night before she was going to hand them out, that she hadn't quite bought enough.  So does she run out and buy some more from the theater?  Make up some vouchers to hand out to the remaining kids that can later be redeemed for a pass once she's able to buy them?

No.  She photocopies some of the passes so she'll have enough for everyone.  An especially blatant forgery, as the real passes are printed on blue cardstock and she photocopied them onto plain white paper.

Also, the owner of the movie theater is a lawyer.  He was not happy with the church, who is in turn not happy with the youth minister (she did this without their knowledge, and using the church's copier/paper).  Fortunately, the church is working with the theater owner to make this right, but I can't see it ending well for the youth minister.  :o
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #4121 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
Found out about the latest PD at my church today: the youth minister decided to buy and give out movie passes to the local theater as a reward to the youth in the church for something or other.  She found out, the night before she was going to hand them out, that she hadn't quite bought enough.  So does she run out and buy some more from the theater?  Make up some vouchers to hand out to the remaining kids that can later be redeemed for a pass once she's able to buy them?

No.  She photocopies some of the passes so she'll have enough for everyone.  An especially blatant forgery, as the real passes are printed on blue cardstock and she photocopied them onto plain white paper.

Also, the owner of the movie theater is a lawyer.  He was not happy with the church, who is in turn not happy with the youth minister (she did this without their knowledge, and using the church's copier/paper).  Fortunately, the church is working with the theater owner to make this right, but I can't see it ending well for the youth minister.  :o

Oops!

Not quite as egregious but someone at my job was doing that with cab receipts while doing expenses.  If someone told her, "Oh, and I took a cab that cost $$ but I don't have a receipt." she'd pull out a wad of cab receipt copies she'd made and fill it out.  Of course, accounting caught onto this right away and told her to please stop doing that.

I don't think she got in any real trouble or anything but I'm sure finance was not amused.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4122 on: July 18, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »

Oops!

Not quite as egregious but someone at my job was doing that with cab receipts while doing expenses.  If someone told her, "Oh, and I took a cab that cost $$ but I don't have a receipt." she'd pull out a wad of cab receipt copies she'd made and fill it out.  Of course, accounting caught onto this right away and told her to please stop doing that.

I don't think she got in any real trouble or anything but I'm sure finance was not amused.

*raises hand* I used to keep copies of blank cab receipts in my desk.  For some reason, the cabbies at BWI do not like to keep receipts in the cab. So I learned to take a picture of the meter and then fill out a blank receipt to turn in.  Of course, I never shared this little tidbit with anyone else

Dr. F.

« Reply #4123 on: July 18, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

Oops!

*raises hand* I used to keep copies of blank cab receipts in my desk.  For some reason, the cabbies at BWI do not like to keep receipts in the cab. So I learned to take a picture of the meter and then fill out a blank receipt to turn in.  Of course, I never shared this little tidbit with anyone else

Here in DC, if you ask for a receipt, they just hand you a blank one - completely useless from a proof standpoint. I like the idea of photographing the meter. I'll have to try that next time.

At my former workplace, we once got a new CFO who got all bent out of shape that we were missing sooo many receipts from a work trip to Mexico. Outside of the American chain stores, there really isn't a culture of providing receipts in Mexico. Of course, she also complained that the ones we had were in Spanish and showed Pesos. ::) She lasted less than a month. The receipt fuss and then her getting in my face about how much sterile, disposable plasticware we used *in a molecular biology lab* pretty much settled her.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #4124 on: July 18, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
We're allowed to use the blank slips but they have to be the originals.  These were clearly photocopies and not acceptable.

Dr. F,  :o