Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1283357 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4140 on: July 21, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
The Science That Uncovered J.K. Rowling’s Literary Hocus-Pocus

In chasing the scoop, the reporters [for London's Sunday Times] called upon two experts in the field of authorship attribution to determine if “Galbraith” was really Rowling. The experts ran the texts through software programs designed to spot stylistic similarities, and the results were compelling enough for the Times to confront Rowling, who confessed to the pseudonymous work.
One was at Oxford; the other at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They looked at "machine-readable texts of 'The Cuckoo’s Calling' along with Rowling’s previous novel, “The Casual Vacancy,” and novels by three British women who specialize in crime fiction: Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, and Val McDermid."

That makes more sense.  They analyzed it to prove/confirm a rumour that was already spreading.

PeterM

« Reply #4141 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
I'm not sure I believe that.  Why would they analyze some random book?  There was no reason to think there was some mystery about the author.

Didn't happen in this case, but there are people who do that kind of thing for fun. Especially if they get it into their head that an author as big as Rowling is involved. That's how Stephen King's "Richard Bachmann" pseudonym got outed, though he made it easier by leaving a variety of clues to his real identity. And of course it's easier to compare when you have several pseudonymous books to look at. I'm willing to bet that Rowling would've been outed eventually even if her identity hadn't been leaked by someone in the know. I'm also willing to bet that she'll be linked to at least a dozen other books that she had nothing to do with. The internet has too much time on its hands.

In other news, Several Pseudonymous Books would not be a good name for a rock band, but would be a good name for an album. Possibly an album by the Rock Bottom Remainders, of which King is a member.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #4142 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
Periodically, someone complains about seeing a fire truck parked in a grocery store lot  They don't seem to understand that the fire fighters are on-duty for three or four days straight (depending on juristdiction) and are responsible for buying groceries to eat at the station during those days.  They use the truck because they could be called into action at any moment. 

(The grocery store near my neighborhood fire station lets the firemen leave the cart at the customer service desk.  Perishables are set aside until they can return.)

We see that all the time at our grocery store, my boys love it because they always seem to use the giant truck that needs a person in back to help drive it. I think the firemen do that on purpose because the kids just stare & stare!

My favourite was someone who once said to me "Railway Track Workers are so lazy! Every time you go past them on a train they're just standing around!"

Well, yes. They're getting out of the way of the TRAIN! You know, the one that you're on? Facepalm.

My brain hurts.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4143 on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
They looked at "machine-readable texts of 'The Cuckoo’s Calling' along with Rowling’s previous novel, “The Casual Vacancy,” and novels by three British women who specialize in crime fiction: Ruth Rendell, P.D. James, and Val McDermid."
I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but I thoroughly enjoyed "The Casual Vacancy."  I will get on my library website and request "The Cuckoo's Calling."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4144 on: August 02, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
The principal mentioned upthread - has moved to greener pastures. No word yet about new principal - AP has only been an official AP since February (did the job on teacher's pay from October - Feb) so that is doubtful. Minutes from board meeting haven't been posted yet. Fingers crossed it will be someone who actually you know supports teachers and the kids following the rules. School starts for teachers in 2 weeks and for kids in 3. Regular board meeting before that so slim possibility of having a principal before school starts.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Goosey

« Reply #4145 on: August 02, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »
Someone who worked under my husband snuck onto a MILITARY airfield. When this individual was detained, the explanation given was that the landing strip lights were "soothing".

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4146 on: August 02, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
Someone who worked under my husband snuck onto a MILITARY airfield. When this individual was detained, the explanation given was that the landing strip lights were "soothing".

Oh, dear, that can't be a good sign.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #4147 on: August 02, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The radio station has one of those morning call-in shows, and apparently a woman called in about a co-worker that she described as the Boss' Pet.  The co-worker is taking care of the boss' dog while boss is on vacation.  Caller overheard Co-worker making arrangements to leave the dog at a doggie day care.  Now, I didn't hear the original call to the station, but apparently Caller resents this as an example of Co-worker's over-the-top sucking up to the boss.  ::)  Monday morning, Caller plans to inform Boss of what Co-worker did.  Judging from the snippet I heard, Caller is almost gloating about this.

There are sooooo many things wrong with this picture.  Possible responses from Boss:

1.  And this is your business because . . . ?
2.  That was the arrangement.  Dog stays there during the day and at Co-worker's home at night.  Why do you care?
3.  I think it was a very nice thing to do.  Why do you care?
4.  It's a shame you don't seem to care about your work as much as you care about my vacation arrangements.  Perhaps we need to re-evaluate your continued presence at this company.

According to the ad, Caller is supposed to call back with the results on Monday.  Unfortunately, I'll probably miss the results since I don't like this call-in show enough to actually listen to it.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4148 on: August 02, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »
So ... magicdomino ... it sounds like the Boss's Pet is petsitting the Boss's pet. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4149 on: August 02, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
An employee who works for a friend of mine might be committing PD.

My friend (Boss) told her Employee to contact me and tell me X, Y, and Z.  Employee emailed me about Z.  The next time I saw Boss, she asked me if Employee told me X, Y, and Z.  I said, "No.  Employee told me Z."  It was one of the most uncomfortable conversations I have had.  Boss was not pleased.  She said she specifically asked him if he discussed X, Y, & Z and he looked her straight in the eye and said "Yes, I did."  I forwarded Employee's email to Boss so she would have proof that he lied to her face.

I am now out of the loop because the follow up actions are none of my business.  I contacted Employee (among others) to arrange a meeting to discuss X, Y, and Z.  Employee did not reply and did not attend the meeting.  I asked Employee's employees (he's middle management) where he was.  They said he is on indefinite leave.

I don't think my friend put her employee on indefinite leave because he didn't tell me X & Y.  I don't think I am that important and Employee has many other professional faults.  However, lying to her face might have been the last straw.

Marcus Aurelius

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #4150 on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »

To be fair, it is kind of soothing to drive out and watch the lights at night. There are quite a few times where a few of us would borrow a vehicle and sit out by the runway and watch the planes take off and land on our night off.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

snowfire

« Reply #4151 on: August 03, 2013, 05:30:16 PM »
Watching planes take of & land is fun.  Sneaking on to a military base is not only professional Darwinism, it could even qualify you for that years Darwin Award.  MP's don't have much sense of humor.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4152 on: August 03, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »
Watching planes take of & land is fun.  Sneaking on to a military base is not only professional Darwinism, it could even qualify you for that years Darwin Award.  MP's don't have much sense of humor.
Or time in prison. Seriously. I know a case where it happened.

cwm

« Reply #4153 on: August 03, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
I wish some of the salespeople I work with could actually be capable of committing PD. It seems to be impossible for them, no matter how hard they try.

My mom is a manager of the department that's in charge of processing all the information. She's had several salespeople lie to her face about things. Which can be easily documented, no less.

The best is the people who outright lie to the customers (all phone calls are recorded, so it's not THAT hard to figure out) or end up costing the company several thousands of dollars. We've had one salesperson who's yelled at the customers, lied to them about pricing, ignored several federal regulations that govern our line of work, and in several sales, cost us nearly $10,000 in fixing her problems. Somehow, even though all of this is documented carefully, she still has a job.

Then again, if I ever get promoted and decide to be in sales, I'm pretty sure my work ethic will make sure I'm even harder to get rid of...

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4154 on: August 05, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
I think my mom's coworker is trying to commit PD. See, where she works, the rooms need to be CLEAN. Rooms on one side were not.

"Heads will roll!" Mom's bosses said.

"Not my head," mom said serenely as she walked past them (it wasn't her side of the floor).

Later that day, mom was doing something when a coworker stalked up to her. "Your bosses need to keep their noses out of our business! They aren't even our bosses! They told me to give a resident a shower, but today isn't our shower day!"

Cue mom going "O.o."

Oh, and two of her coworkers actually committed PD and got fired, for clocking a fellow coworker out... yeah.