Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1087091 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4200 on: August 14, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
And to use the car in a bad neighborhood example: if I park my car in a bad neighborhood, and leave the keys in it, only to have it stolen, and eventually it is returned, badly damaged: I might very well have to pay some consequences.
Ah, a story I'd forgotten.

My government employer had a fleet of cars. You could check out a car for business travel. You could keep the car overnight at your home if you were leaving at the crack of dawn or returned late in the evening. However, policy was that the car had to be parked off the street.

Coworker gets back late and doesn't want to have to move a personal car to make room for the government car, so figures one night on the street won't be a problem. A couple of hours later, coworker realizes the keys must still be in the car. Too late, the car is gone. The coworker spent a couple of days sweating out how to reimburse the employer for a missing car (the employer had the right to demand that.) The car turned up, intact except for an empty gas tank and a missing battery. Coworker got formally reprimanded, but it could have been a lot worse.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4201 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
it is also a predominantly male based place of employment and she could be seen as a distraction. 

What an interesting assumption and stereotype of the men with whom she works.  I shudder to think that she could be working at an institution where the very thought that a woman might be naked under her clothing could drive the employees to distraction.  If that is the case, it seems to me that she isn't the one in need of serious professional behavior counseling.

Yes Garden Goblin..she did consent for him to see these pictures but she sent them over the internet.  Once she consensually sent him those pictures, with the absence of any written agreement, she loses her right to them,

I feel terrible for all those girls who have ever consented to allow their significant other to view them naked without first getting a written agreement.  It truly says nothing good about our society that the thought that a woman's naked body has been exposed means the woman in question deserves to be censured and shamed.

If she was looking for a modeling job by sending nude photos, one could argue that she implied consent to passing on her resume/portfolio to other interested parties.

Given what people have said regarding the victim of the Steubenville episode, it's clear that people can argue all kinds of rather sickening things.  Again, that is a failure of society, not a failing on the part of the victim.  And the victim is not the one that should be blamed for society's ability to rationalize away all kinds of poor behavior.

It's not the nude pictures that will prevent her from getting a job.  It's the incredible display of the total lack of common sense involved here.

It is extremely sad that allowing oneself to be seen naked makes one a flawed individual in the eyes of society.  But again, that is a failing on the part of society, not the part of the victim.  It's sad that being seen naked is something that has such negative consequences.  It's a human body.  Everyone has one.  Everyone has seen one.

Warning people not to engage in foolish, high risk behavior is not victim blaming.

Warning someone not to walk on a bridge because the bridge is unsafe is not victim blaming, because the bridge doesn't choose to collapse.  Warning someone not to become intoxicated because someone else may choose to take advantage of them is victim blaming, because the decision that caused the problem isn't the decision to get drunk, but the decision to take advantage.

Plenty of people have sent nude photos of themselves and had it turn out fine, because the person they sent said photos to didn't choose to behave unethically.

Goosey

« Reply #4202 on: August 14, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
She isn't being sensored and shamed for showing her naked body.

She's being sensored and shamed for making an extremely foolish choice to send pictures of her naked body to someone she didn't know and then being "surprised" it was a scam.  She wasn't intoxicated (that I know of). She wasn't vulnerable and unable to make decisions on her own. She MADE a decision. A stupid one.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4203 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
Censorship exists.

I think that the company looked at her track record and decided that they didn't trust her judgement.  Instead of controlling what information she had access to at work - they terminated her working for them.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4204 on: August 14, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »

Warning someone not to walk on a bridge because the bridge is unsafe is not victim blaming, because the bridge doesn't choose to collapse.  Warning someone not to become intoxicated because someone else may choose to take advantage of them is victim blaming, because the decision that caused the problem isn't the decision to get drunk, but the decision to take advantage.

I dosagree with this. I think warning someone that people can take advantage of you and so you need to be careful is not victim blaming but making sure they are aware. Sure it would be nice to live in a world where we can trust everyone, but we don't and acknowledging that isn't victim blaming it is being careful. The truth is that some of the things we do will help prevent us from being a victim - acknowledging that doesn't mean that victims are at fault if something happens to them, but it does mean that we can sometimes do things to prevent bad things from happening to us.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4205 on: August 14, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
Can the intern discussion please be moved to a separate thread.  I would hate to see this thread be locked because of it
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4206 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
Actually, I think we should just let the intern story die a quick death as now some how it has turned into a bad territory by Garden Goblin, instead of how it should be seen..someone committing a horrific case of PD by making several bad decisions.  Sorry I brought it up..did not realize it would take this turn.

Hillia

« Reply #4207 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
DH is watching a coworker who is resolutely committing PD.

DH met Mark at a technical school.  DH was lucky enough to get a job with a company in the field that he studied.  6 months later, Mark's resume came across the desk of DH's boss, who asked DH about him.  DH didn't have anything negative to report, so Mark is hired.

Mark takes no initiative in learning the finer points of the way Company does things, or their approach to the field, or anything else.  Unless Boss specifically gives him work, Mark is content to sit at his workbench staring at the wall, and shuts down about 30 minutes before actual quitting time.  But what's going to get him fired is the current project.  Company has received a large order from a major customer, and Mark has been tapped to help assemble the products.  He'll start unit A and perform step 1: prep for painting.  Then he'll perform step 2: paint.  Then, instead of picking up unit B and starting the prep work while unit A dries, he'll sit there staring at the wall. Both DH and their other coworker have tried coaching Mark on how to keep the process moving, but he just goes 'Uh huh' and keeps doing what he's doing.  Boss has already noticed that Mark's production is waaaaay below what it should be, so it's only a matter of time.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4208 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
I can't goof off, my mind and principles don't allow me to! I can't imagine staring at the wall.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4209 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
One of the worst days at work for me was the day I had to observe (from the deck) a floating drydock undock a vessel after work was completed.  10 minutes of activity at the beginning when they collect the water samples, then 2 hours going down and 2 more hours coming back up ... in the hot Hawaiian sun ... with nothing to do and no chairs.  At the end of that day, I said "Watching paint dry would have been more exciting."  I'm the fidgety type and can't stand still for long.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4210 on: August 14, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Please move one from discussing the internet pics and consequences thereof, and please don't start another thread because the topic is already contentious.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4211 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
I can't goof off, my mind and principles don't allow me to! I can't imagine staring at the wall.

Back in the dark ages, one of my dad's first real jobs after technical school was a programer for the state government.  The pay was a bit low, but they'd hire people out of technical school (this was that long ago).  The expectation was that you'd work there for a couple of years and then move on.  Before auto-raises/benefits drastically improved your pay.  One guy at dad's work decided he wasn't going to get another job.  He couldn't be fired (it was a government job).  So, his assignment was to sit at his empty desk in his office and do nothing.  He tried to read a magazine, but that could have started the firing process.  He lasted 2.5 days. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4212 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
^ Oh, how terrible.  :(

Yesterday, on the way to work I witnessed an act of PD and later reported it. A big cable company van (BCC) zoomed past the 5 cars waiting in the only left turn lane, and pulled into the right only lane. However, I noticed there was no turn signal either way. The reason this particular intersection only has one turn lane is that there is a jutting concrete median that makes it nearly impossible for two lanes of cars to turn there at the same time. BCC van turns left out of the right turn only lane, forcing the small bus in the first position of the left turn only lane to brake or they would have collided.

I could not believe it, there was plenty of time for all traffic in the left lane to get through the light before it turned yellow and the intersection lane directions are posted on large overhead signage as well as clearly marked on the pavement.

It is particularly PD for this driver to behave in such a way as the "How's my driving" information is clearly marked on the rear of the vehicle. I reported the driver.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4213 on: August 15, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
Why on earth do people do that? Do they think nobody will report them?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4214 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
Actually, I think we should just let the intern story die a quick death as now some how it has turned into a bad territory by Garden Goblin, instead of how it should be seen..someone committing a horrific case of PD by making several bad decisions.  Sorry I brought it up..did not realize it would take this turn.

I am not anymore inclined to accept this bit of blaming than I was the original.  Please withdraw this statement.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:23:58 PM by Garden Goblin »