Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284296 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4290 on: August 26, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

I'm creating lots of other scenarios, each more ludicrous than the previous.

Maybe Mrs Scott didn't demand anything. She could only have asked in passing (not knowing the schedule was already done).
There was only the principals word for it and he could have said 'doesn't want' instead of 'couldn't'. She could have been asking for that for 5 years, she could be a very valuable teacher and the principals doesn't wants her to find another school, she could have a pretty valid reason that principal is only trying to accommodate (she's carring for an elderly relative and home-help can only be there at 8am, special need anyone in the households, she already have 2h of commuting..).

The problems lies squarely on the principal, he's the one who screwed the schedule without asking or telling the one who actually did the schedule.

Exactly. That is why a large system cannot accomodate every whim or special need.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:12:17 PM by Luci45 »

Shalamar

« Reply #4291 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
When I was working for Big Blue, I - along with another employee - were told that, due to a lack of local work, we'd have to travel to another city and work there.   My co-worker said that she simply couldn't do it, so she was let off the hook.  (I have no ill feelings towards her - her husband travelled a great deal for work, and she had a little boy who was only about 6 years old at the time.  She had every reason to say that she couldn't travel.)  I had no such excuse, so I was sent to Scranton, PA.  Worst five months of my life, but that's a different story.

When I finished that assignment, I was told that I would have to travel again.  I practically cried, and I told my manager "It was a horrible experience, and I missed my husband and small children (who were 5 and 3 at the time) dreadfully.   Please don't make me do that!"   My manager said she understood, and I thought that was the end of it - until I got a call from a very nice man in New Jersey welcoming me aboard their new project.  Um, what?  I told him politely that there must have been a misunderstanding, and that I wasn't going to be on his project.   He seemed very puzzled, and I soon found out why - my manager had ignored everything I'd said and signed me up for that project anyway.  I would've been away from home for months - again.

Shortly after that, I was laid off.  So, you could say that I committed PD.  I couldn't help but feel resentful, though - my co-worker was let off the hook because she couldn't travel, but apparently hating travel and missing one's family wasn't a good enough reason to say "no".

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4292 on: August 27, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
I know what you mean. I get less hours at work now because I say I can't work nights, but I don't want to go back to that year I spent working until 8pm and having dinner at 10am. DH and I were newlywed a and we hardly saw each other.

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #4293 on: August 27, 2013, 12:59:17 AM »
-snip-a cone of invincibility -snip-

I want one!  I want one!  Where do you get them?  I'll even pay!  (Well, if it's a reasonable price)

shadowfox79

« Reply #4294 on: August 27, 2013, 06:50:18 AM »
I've just remembered one which I so much wish had been PD but this person somehow had a cone of invincibility around her and never got in trouble for anything she did.  She sent out super confidential information via email which got forwarded on to someone edited it for their own means and forwarded it on again, the recipient contacted her boss to verify the information and the story unravelled.  When someone pointed out the error came from emailing confidential information in an editable format her response was "It's never been a problem before" and the same response was given when someone said something about not doing it again.  As far as I know she continued to email super confidential information in editable formats.

I work in a university. We had one woman send out blank copies of our degree certificates to students. I have no idea why she thought this was a good idea.

We only discovered it after she had a nervous breakdown and her courses were passed to other people. A student rang me asking for another copy. I was pretty sure we didn't do that and had no idea where I would find one anyway, so I emailed my senior manager to ask. Panic ensued.

I still don't know how that woman is still working for us. It's hard to fire someone in our sector but I'd have thought that would do it.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4295 on: August 27, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
I doubt this will be PD, but it's not winning her any points.

We have a new coworker on staff who started on Monday, who in the last day and half of working here has asked for:

1) lifts to and from work from a coworker who lives near her because her car is currently in the shop
2) to borrow someone's usb drive for copying movies (not sure she's returned it yet either)
3) to borrow a coworker's secure access card and still hasn't returned it to coworker
4) to use someone's perscription painkillers (because the normal over the counter stuff wasn't good enough for her).

Note that these are only things I've witnessed in my direct earshot, so there could very well be many other instances of her asking for things from people.

She is also naggy as heck. When the techies were setting up her laptop for her, she was in their office every 30 minutes or so asking them repeatedly if it was done yet.

I sense much unpleasentness ahead.  :-\
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4296 on: August 27, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
Public announcement:

Do not steal government supplies and sell them to civilians.

Especially if you are overseas and these civilians are considered high risk.

I volunteer at a VA hospital in the Biomed department (the people who deal with the medical machines). Do you know what happens when Biomed and/or Sterilization realize they are missing stuff? Why yes, they do Google.  You are selling $1800 medical equipment for half price? You're not part of any company or clinic that upgraded? Hope you've got a lawyer because you WILL be getting a knock on the door. Idiot. Don't forget to kiss your retirement account goodbye.

This happened years ago at a place my DH used to work.  They figured out they were missing like $30000-ish worth of electronics after an inventory.  The employee stole the stuff when he closed or opened my himself and stored the it in his garage.  A simple google search and eBay search caught the guy in a matter of minutes.  Also, they vastly underestimated what he stole from them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

o_gal

« Reply #4297 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
3) to borrow a coworker's secure access card and still hasn't returned it to coworker

That's PD*2 - not only should she get canned for doing that, her coworker who loaned the card should as well.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4298 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »

We have a new coworker on staff who started on Monday, who in the last day and half of working here has asked for:

1) lifts to and from work from a coworker who lives near her because her car is currently in the shop
2) to borrow someone's usb drive for copying movies (not sure she's returned it yet either)
4) to use someone's perscription painkillers (because the normal over the counter stuff wasn't good enough for her).

Note that these are only things I've witnessed in my direct earshot, so there could very well be many other instances of her asking for things from people.

She is also naggy as heck. When the techies were setting up her laptop for her, she was in their office every 30 minutes or so asking them repeatedly if it was done yet.

#1: annoying.
#2: irritating.
#4: large red flag!

and #3: AAOOGAH! AAOOGAH!! AAOOGAH!!! Danger, Will Robinson, danger!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4299 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

That's PD*2 - not only should she get canned for doing that, her coworker who loaned the card should as well.

Not necessarily. The first part (borrowing the s.a card) would be seen as no big deal at my place of work - we do it all the time.
Of course we also return the card pronto.

But of course it all depends on what the card actually accesses. Ours just opens the outer doors - nothing else.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4300 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

#2 does too -- she's pirating movies, and this is somehow OK?  And OK with the CW who lent her the USB drive?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MindsEye

« Reply #4301 on: August 27, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »

#2 does too -- she's pirating movies, and this is somehow OK?  And OK with the CW who lent her the USB drive?

#2 isn't necessarily pirating... DH and I do a lot of copying movies back and forth on USB drives.  Of course, we have a media player that accepts USB drives, and we also long ago ripped our huge movie library onto a computer hard drive to save on storage space.  When we want to watch a movie, we copy it onto a USB, plug the USB into the player, and ta-da!  (Of course, this lady really needs to get her own USB, you can get them for a couple bucks at any Walmart!)

lilfox

« Reply #4302 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »

Totally agree - very poor decision on the CW's part to loan out the card.

The only way I could see this not being PD is if it was approved by a manager, in a "help the new employee" kind of way.  For example, when I first started one job, I had to get a security clearance in order to even enter the office space.  I got my clearance but it was not reflected on my badge for a week or so - for that week people were approved to open the door for me whenever I needed it.  Though I didn't ever take someone's card, I had to knock and wait til someone was available to help.

I hope in the case of the Rx painkillers that that coworker said NO.  Red flag!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4303 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »

I'm counting 1 bit of potential rudeness (depending on attitude when asking for the ride), 1 probable waste of company resources (unless copying those movies is part of her job), one office security breach, 2 cases of potential theft, and one attempted felony (assuming you're in the US).

She's still employed how?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4304 on: August 27, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
#3 could be serious or innocuous. In my building you need a key to get into the bathrooms -- it's the same key that opens all the doors including the front door to the building. When I was first moved into this building, it took our facilities department almost a week to issue a key to me. So if there were a policy against loaning out keys, I'd wouldn't have had access to the bathroom. People forget their keys all the time and just borrow one. I've loaned mine out to visitors so they can use the bathroom. The not returning it would have been a problem though. Why hasn't coworker gone up to her and demanded it's return?

#4 to me is the biggest red flag. But why would she even know that a coworker has prescription painkillers? This woman just started and most people don't routinely go around telling strangers what medications they're using. Or did she just make a general statement that she needed some Vicodin for her headache because Advil just won't work?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams