Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1370886 times)

cwm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4305 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
I doubt this will be PD, but it's not winning her any points.

We have a new coworker on staff who started on Monday, who in the last day and half of working here has asked for:

1) lifts to and from work from a coworker who lives near her because her car is currently in the shop
2) to borrow someone's usb drive for copying movies (not sure she's returned it yet either)
3) to borrow a coworker's secure access card and still hasn't returned it to coworker
4) to use someone's perscription painkillers (because the normal over the counter stuff wasn't good enough for her).

Note that these are only things I've witnessed in my direct earshot, so there could very well be many other instances of her asking for things from people.

She is also naggy as heck. When the techies were setting up her laptop for her, she was in their office every 30 minutes or so asking them repeatedly if it was done yet.

I sense much unpleasentness ahead.  :-\

#1 could be completely fine. I share rides to and from work when my car is in the shop, and offer rides to other people who need them. It depends on the work atmosphere and how she's asking.
#2 would make me mad. I barely let my sister borrow my thumb drive, and that's when I'm sitting right there and watching her copy things and getting it right back.
#3 is fine by my office. The cards let us into the building, that's all. Some people who forget them have other people let them in, but if a smoker forgets his/her card, that person will be borrowing access cards all day. It's not a big deal to us. Except for the part about not bringing it back. That's a big deal.

#4 stands out to me as the worst. Asking someone else to commit a serious crime (if the laws are anything like the ones here) because she can't get any on her own? Um, no.

Also, nagging IT people is never a good plan. Actually, nagging anyone, especially within your first week on the job, is never a good plan. Or even if it's your fifth year on the job.

Okay, can we all agree that nagging on the job isn't a good plan?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4306 on: August 27, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Nagging is a bad thing in general.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4307 on: August 27, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
An admin person at my office said something today to the director that is going to come back and bite her. I don't understand why people don't think before speaking.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4308 on: August 27, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
May I inquire as to what was said?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4309 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
Some minor thing happened here, in X department, that required a member of Y department to correct. At the time, Y department was in a meeting. This minor incident could have easily waited until after the meeting was over.

She said, "Oh, they are just in a meeting. I'm sure it is nothing important. I'll just go get ___ out of that meeting to take care of this." Staff in Y department are in higher positions than admin person.

Way wrong thing to say here, in this environment. I put the portion of what was said that irked me most in italics.

mmswm

« Reply #4310 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
How to commit serious PD and get yourself in a whole bunch of other trouble:

1) Move to a different country without the proper documents
2) Steal somebody's identity
3) Use that identity to work in a federally regulated field (truck driver, in this case)
4) Get pulled over for a broken turn signal
5) Get arrested and deported.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4311 on: August 27, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
Is that who I think it is?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4312 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
Oy vey! ::)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4313 on: August 27, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
Reporting this co-worker to my boss:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg2971318#msg2971318

...did absolutely no good. Head boss now just shrugs all of us off with "Send me an email when she does those things." New co-worker came up to me during my lunch break recently and started acting apologetic and squirrely. We had been working on different sides of the store, so I had no idea what her work station was looking like that day. I thought "Oh man, she must've done something wrong to be buttering me up like this." I found out a few days later she'd broken equipment without telling anyone; she was the last name on the sign out sheet for the equipment. Nobody else had work assignments between the day she acted odd and the day I found the broken equipment. The boss' reaction was "You don't know she was the one who broke it."  ???

mmswm

« Reply #4314 on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
Is that who I think it is?

No, he's a US citizen.  This was one of his now former coworkers.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4315 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
Bad news, Team Bhakta. I would not help co-worker, let her work her way out.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4316 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
3) to borrow a coworker's secure access card and still hasn't returned it to coworker

That's PD*2 - not only should she get canned for doing that, her coworker who loaned the card should as well.

Totally agree - very poor decision on the CW's part to loan out the card.

The only way I could see this not being PD is if it was approved by a manager, in a "help the new employee" kind of way.  For example, when I first started one job, I had to get a security clearance in order to even enter the office space.  I got my clearance but it was not reflected on my badge for a week or so - for that week people were approved to open the door for me whenever I needed it.  Though I didn't ever take someone's card, I had to knock and wait til someone was available to help.

Pretty much exactly that. Boss told CW to lend new person her card to allow her to get to essentials like the kitchen and bathroom (we have locked access doors between various sections). Except CW said to new person "I'm going to leave the card on my desk while I'm working, you can walk by and take it to get to things when you need it". New person didn't understand that as "take it and put it back when you're done", but rather "take it and walk off with it for the rest of the day". CW got it back by going up to new person and asking for it back before CW left for the day.

I hope in the case of the Rx painkillers that that coworker said NO.  Red flag!
Coworker "left them at home today".
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #4317 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »
#4 to me is the biggest red flag. But why would she even know that a coworker has prescription painkillers? This woman just started and most people don't routinely go around telling strangers what medications they're using. Or did she just make a general statement that she needed some Vicodin for her headache because Advil just won't work?

That was the weird thing. She came and sat down next to CW and me (we have adjoining desks) and asked us (but she was talking to CW more than me) if we had painkillers. We pointed her to the medical aid kit and said there were probably Aspirin or Paracetomol tablets in there. She said that Paracetomol wouldn't do it, she needed something stronger because she "got headaches from her eyes". I know CW currently has nasty sinus issues so her doctor gave her perscription meds with codiene in it, but I'm not sure how exactly new person got wind of this. When CW said she'd left her meds at home that day, new person went back to her desk and didn't ask anyone else, or even the office in general, so it seemed like she was targetting CW with the meds. The more I think about it, the wierder that whole thing seems.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #4318 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:38 AM »
#4 to me is the biggest red flag. But why would she even know that a coworker has prescription painkillers? This woman just started and most people don't routinely go around telling strangers what medications they're using. Or did she just make a general statement that she needed some Vicodin for her headache because Advil just won't work?

That was the weird thing. She came and sat down next to CW and me (we have adjoining desks) and asked us (but she was talking to CW more than me) if we had painkillers. We pointed her to the medical aid kit and said there were probably Aspirin or Paracetomol tablets in there. She said that Paracetomol wouldn't do it, she needed something stronger because she "got headaches from her eyes". I know CW currently has nasty sinus issues so her doctor gave her perscription meds with codiene in it, but I'm not sure how exactly new person got wind of this. When CW said she'd left her meds at home that day, new person went back to her desk and didn't ask anyone else, or even the office in general, so it seemed like she was targetting CW with the meds. The more I think about it, the wierder that whole thing seems.

Slight Update: I may have to revise my negative opinion of new coworker slightly.

New coworker made a gift bracelet for the daughter of the coworker who gave her lifts, as it's the coworker's daughter's birthday, so she made the girl a beaded bracelet. (I found this out because new coworker was walking around asking if anyone had pliers or could help her close the last loop on the bracelet to get the catch to be secure). That's actually very sweet of her, so I'm less purely negative and more ambivalent about her now. Time will tell how pleasant working with her turns out to be (although I'm a little iffy about her finishing off jewelry on work time).

She also rubbed up a couple of other coworkers  the wrong way when she did forcefully insert herself into a lunch group.  These three work buddies always take their breaks together, and new coworker took her lunch at the same time and simply forced herself into the group seated around a tiny table. It was so noticable we were prodding the three buddies about it this morning (before new coworker got in), asking them about the fourth muskateer at their lunch table, and all three were rather put off by her pushiness.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4319 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
Slight Update: I may have to revise my negative opinion of new coworker slightly.

New coworker made a gift bracelet for the daughter of the coworker who gave her lifts, as it's the coworker's daughter's birthday, so she made the girl a beaded bracelet. (I found this out because new coworker was walking around asking if anyone had pliers or could help her close the last loop on the bracelet to get the catch to be secure). That's actually very sweet of her, so I'm less purely negative and more ambivalent about her now. Time will tell how pleasant working with her turns out to be (although I'm a little iffy about her finishing off jewelry on work time).

This would actually make me leery of her. I've seen people who start out by being "very sweet" and overly generous as a ploy. Hey, I gave you something, so you know I'm generous! I remembered you said it was your DD's birthday, so you know I listen to you! Now you've accepted me, here's what you owe me in return....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."