Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1321228 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4425 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
Methinks a copy editor may be looking for a new job soon . . .

Formatting issue renders George R.R. Martin book hilarious

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4426 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »

I REALLY wonder what the Find--> Replace term was that caused all that nonsense. LOL

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4427 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
Oh, dear.  I laughed so hard I fell onto George RR Martin - Feast of Crows.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4428 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Oh, dear.  I laughed so hard I fell onto George RR Martin - Feast of Crows.

You win an internet.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4429 on: September 06, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
My friend is a former copy editor.  I made sure to send that to her. 

BarensMom

« Reply #4430 on: September 06, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
I just snorted George R.R. Martin out of my nose.

(cue crickets)

NyaChan

« Reply #4431 on: September 06, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
LOL oh man that cracked me up!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4432 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »

That's a composition or maybe proofreading problem, not copy editing. (I know, the terms "copyeditor" and "proofreader" overlap these days, but that looks like the sort of thing that happens late in the process, not at the copy edit and get author approval for changes stage.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4433 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »

That's a composition or maybe proofreading problem, not copy editing. (I know, the terms "copyeditor" and "proofreader" overlap these days, but that looks like the sort of thing that happens late in the process, not at the copy edit and get author approval for changes stage.)

My guess is a programming problem, actually - I suspect the author tag on each page wasn't stuck in there properly.  So then if/when the ebook format was changed - to another format entirely or just a few tweaks - someone either copy-pasted everything together or the author tags ended up as part of the text.  There definitely should have been someone checking formatting at a final stage, though, who ought to have caught it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4434 on: September 07, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

I was wondering if it was a misplaced header.  I've run across that once or twice with 'free' ebooks, where something was OCRed instead of being written in an e-format to begin with.  In one case it was page numbers.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4435 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
TechCrunch tech conference kicks off with two guys presenting an app called "Titstare."  Where you can upload pictures of breasts and rate other people's uploads.  And somehow the organizers of this conference had no idea anyone would find this (made-up, I hope) app presentation offensive.  A second presenter also simulated masturbation during his talk.

The official apology was "The two presentations were taken out of context.  Also, the presentations were intended as satire.  We apologize if anyone was offended."

(They did eventually release a much better apology, but seriously?  Didn't they think the presentations might be worth, oh, at least a casual glance before giving them the green light?)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4436 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
TechCrunch tech conference kicks off with two guys presenting an app called "Titstare."  Where you can upload pictures of breasts and rate other people's uploads.  And somehow the organizers of this conference had no idea anyone would find this (made-up, I hope) app presentation offensive.  A second presenter also simulated masturbation during his talk.

The official apology was "The two presentations were taken out of context.  Also, the presentations were intended as satire.  We apologize if anyone was offended."

(They did eventually release a much better apology, but seriously?  Didn't they think the presentations might be worth, oh, at least a casual glance before giving them the green light?)

What? I just... I have no words.

KB

« Reply #4437 on: September 09, 2013, 01:38:22 AM »

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk* Why must people like this be Australian?! *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

Iris

« Reply #4438 on: September 09, 2013, 02:10:34 AM »

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk* Why must people like this be Australian?! *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

*mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant**mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant*

Ahem

I have no idea...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

cwm

« Reply #4439 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

*mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant**mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant*

Ahem

I have no idea...

Iris, congratulations on your discretion. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the same.

And seriously? Who thought that might possibly be a good idea? Satire can be easily turned offensive if the audience doesn't know it's satire. The first apology seems like it's telling people to just get over it because they obviously can't take a joke. Ugh.