Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1332894 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4500 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »
Well, my cats kinda speak to me. When Pollux trots ahead of me into the bathroom, hops into the bathtub, and meows at me as I enter, it's pretty clear that he wants me to turn on the water so he can get a drink. (Never mind the sink just a few feet away has the water dripping at all times. No, he wants bathtub water.)

Does that count?

And Max just came to me and prodded me with a paw because he wanted scritches.  Pretty obvious.  I don't think the question means that; I think the question means something like "Does your goldfish tell you to go out and throw spaghetti sauce on people's lawns?"
You're not crazy if the squirrels talk to you.  You're only crazy if you take their advice. NEVER let a squirrel give you a hot stock tip!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Shalamar

« Reply #4501 on: September 19, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
And if a squirrel tries to tell you how many bones are in a hand while you're writing a medical exam, make sure you clarify whether he means a human hand or a squirrel's hand.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4502 on: September 19, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
Well, my cats kinda speak to me. When Pollux trots ahead of me into the bathroom, hops into the bathtub, and meows at me as I enter, it's pretty clear that he wants me to turn on the water so he can get a drink. (Never mind the sink just a few feet away has the water dripping at all times. No, he wants bathtub water.)

Does that count?

And Max just came to me and prodded me with a paw because he wanted scritches.  Pretty obvious.  I don't think the question means that; I think the question means something like "Does your goldfish tell you to go out and throw spaghetti sauce on people's lawns?"
You're not crazy if the squirrels talk to you.  You're only crazy if you take their advice. NEVER let a squirrel give you a hot stock tip!

Remember, if squirrels take an interest in you, you're not crazy... you're nuts.

weeblewobble

« Reply #4503 on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
TechCrunch tech conference kicks off with two guys presenting an app called "Titstare."  Where you can upload pictures of breasts and rate other people's uploads.  And somehow the organizers of this conference had no idea anyone would find this (made-up, I hope) app presentation offensive.  A second presenter also simulated masturbation during his talk.

The official apology was "The two presentations were taken out of context.  Also, the presentations were intended as satire.  We apologize if anyone was offended."

(They did eventually release a much better apology, but seriously?  Didn't they think the presentations might be worth, oh, at least a casual glance before giving them the green light?)

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk* Why must people like this be Australian?! *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

*mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant**mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant*

Ahem

I have no idea...

What possible context could make this OK?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4504 on: September 19, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
The police out here ran a sting to catch massage parlors that offered extra services. One of them was called The Red Lantern. Way to be subtle, local criminals

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:29:03 PM by TeamBhakta »

weeblewobble

« Reply #4505 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
Unalee, what you have there is your garden-variety crackpot. I'm surprised you haven't run into one of these before. I think just about every librarian here (DavidH, Yarnspinner, others) has stories about someone with an obsession over some thing or another and demands support for their position. Real journalists have the same problems as well.

Oh, I've met a few crackpots in the year and a half I've worked here.  But this guy took it to a whole new level I've never seen before.  I found informal journalism forums online that raked this guy up one side and down the other, and detail just which papers and media outlets have dealt with him or been the focus of his obsessive fact-checking. 

He seems to have a genuine concern for accuracy, but his delivery is so horrifically self-centered and abrasive, that the message is lost.

When I was in college, there was a "street preacher" who would set up on a corner of campus and rant about every possible special interest group, ethnic group, and alternative lifestyle, attracting large crowds of angry students. The college newspaper looked into his history after Preacher Bob ranted about a particular ethnic group and a member of said ethnic group shoved him off of his soap box (seriously, he had his own soap box) and Preacher Bob was injured. 

It turned out that Preacher Bob had been in such altercations on at least five other college campuses.  And his MO was to sue the school for not protecting him from the angry students who assaulted him or for violating his rights to free speech when the campus security removed him from campus.

It sounds like "Mike" is trying to make himself such a nuisance that the college offers him whatever it takes to make him go away.  You are a more patient person than I for putting up with him for so long!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4506 on: September 19, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
And if a squirrel tries to tell you how many bones are in a hand while you're writing a medical exam, make sure you clarify whether he means a human hand or a squirrel's hand.

;D

I'm wondering how many people get this. It's nice to see something that I get after so many references I have missed!

nuit93

« Reply #4507 on: September 19, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
Unalee, what you have there is your garden-variety crackpot. I'm surprised you haven't run into one of these before. I think just about every librarian here (DavidH, Yarnspinner, others) has stories about someone with an obsession over some thing or another and demands support for their position. Real journalists have the same problems as well.

Oh, I've met a few crackpots in the year and a half I've worked here.  But this guy took it to a whole new level I've never seen before.  I found informal journalism forums online that raked this guy up one side and down the other, and detail just which papers and media outlets have dealt with him or been the focus of his obsessive fact-checking. 

He seems to have a genuine concern for accuracy, but his delivery is so horrifically self-centered and abrasive, that the message is lost.

When I was in college, there was a "street preacher" who would set up on a corner of campus and rant about every possible special interest group, ethnic group, and alternative lifestyle, attracting large crowds of angry students. The college newspaper looked into his history after Preacher Bob ranted about a particular ethnic group and a member of said ethnic group shoved him off of his soap box (seriously, he had his own soap box) and Preacher Bob was injured. 

It turned out that Preacher Bob had been in such altercations on at least five other college campuses.  And his MO was to sue the school for not protecting him from the angry students who assaulted him or for violating his rights to free speech when the campus security removed him from campus.

It sounds like "Mike" is trying to make himself such a nuisance that the college offers him whatever it takes to make him go away.  You are a more patient person than I for putting up with him for so long!

That sounds like one of the few regular street preachers we had on my campus.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4508 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

This was in 2011.  :o

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4509 on: September 19, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
The police out here ran a sting to catch massage parlors that offered extra services. One of them was called The Red Lantern. Way to be subtle, local criminals  ;)

That lack of subtlety fills me with rage.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4510 on: September 19, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

They let women finish high school?  No silly female needs more than an 8th-grade education.  Marry her off at 14.  Keep her belly filled with kids, and she won't get uppity  notions like taking a job away from a man.  ::)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4511 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »
This was more the possibility of her losing her virtue by being outside the house. Very, very strange. I am glad I don't have to walk by them any more.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4512 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »

Sounds like some of my relatives. Oddly enough, they have no problem with the women in their lives working two part-time jobs between pregnancies, 12-15 hr days, paying the bills, mowing the lawn, etc. But not driving. Driving is a manly man thing. So are full time (9 to 5) jobs, and going out with the guys in the evenings. Girls just don't do that.

It doesn't matter what year it is. There will always be jerks. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

greencat

« Reply #4513 on: September 19, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
Someone my friend works with successfully committed Professional Darwinism lately.  Their company has a few things that must be monitored around the clock.  Some of those things actually belong to another company.  My friend's former coworker was on the third shift - the one ending at dawn.  He had been taking advantage of more or less being the only one in the building to commit a number of thefts.  The client discovered the theft of some of their equipment during an audit, and it was traced back to this employee - at which point, my friend's company discovered additional thievery.  They demanded that he be fired - a demand I wholeheartedly agree with! - and I believe there are criminal charges in the works.

jolyan

« Reply #4514 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:28 AM »
Breaking story today:

A European dating site decides to advertise on Facebook. It uses images the director admits were "scraped" from the web, to indicate the sort of young women you could meet near Halifax, Nova Scotia.

One of the images prominent in the ad is of a teenaged girl recently bullied into suicide. No permissions were ever given, of course, to use her image for dating site ads.

dating site is now banned from Facebook.

It was two ads with two different photos.