Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1411489 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4515 on: September 20, 2013, 07:41:49 AM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

This was in 2011.  :o

Nutcases still abound.
http://www.fixthefamily.com/blog/6-reasons-to-not-send-your-daughter-to-college

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4516 on: September 20, 2013, 07:49:17 AM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

Nutcases still abound.

W.O.W.com

GreenHall

« Reply #4517 on: September 20, 2013, 09:01:42 AM »

Nutcases still abound.

It does hearten me after skimming the 'article' to see how many of the comments disagree (vehemently!) :)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #4518 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
Well, my cats kinda speak to me. When Pollux trots ahead of me into the bathroom, hops into the bathtub, and meows at me as I enter, it's pretty clear that he wants me to turn on the water so he can get a drink. (Never mind the sink just a few feet away has the water dripping at all times. No, he wants bathtub water.)

Does that count?

And Max just came to me and prodded me with a paw because he wanted scritches.  Pretty obvious.  I don't think the question means that; I think the question means something like "Does your goldfish tell you to go out and throw spaghetti sauce on people's lawns?"
You're not crazy if the squirrels talk to you.  You're only crazy if you take their advice. NEVER let a squirrel give you a hot stock tip!

Remember, if squirrels take an interest in you, you're not crazy... you're nuts.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

nuit93

« Reply #4519 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

Nutcases still abound.

Take out all the religious references and my mom's ex-husband could have written that.

I wish I were kidding.  There's nothing more surreal than being yelled at for taking college prep classes instead of home ec...and this was in the late 90's.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #4520 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
A guy at DH's company is showing some professional darwinism.  He's been allowed to work from his home, with the expectation that he will come in to the office as needed.   There's been some issues with the amount of work that he's getting done and just his attitude in general, enough that the higher level management is aware and keeping an eye on him.   He's been made aware of the situation and so far his response has been to complain and wonder why he isn't getting a promotion.   This week the project he is on had some major problems and he was told he needed to start working from the office for the next week or so.  He stated that he wasn't sure that he'd be able to make it to the first meeting at 10 am, because he had to complete his morning workout.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4521 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

Nutcases still abound.

W.O.W.com

There are many religions and cultures that treat women just as horribly and hold many of the same views, but we'd be severely chastised or banned if we even thought about linking to them or talking about them.  Why is this any different?  Because it's an American group?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4522 on: September 20, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
A guy at DH's company is showing some professional darwinism.  He's been allowed to work from his home, with the expectation that he will come in to the office as needed.   There's been some issues with the amount of work that he's getting done and just his attitude in general, enough that the higher level management is aware and keeping an eye on him.   He's been made aware of the situation and so far his response has been to complain and wonder why he isn't getting a promotion.   This week the project he is on had some major problems and he was told he needed to start working from the office for the next week or so.  He stated that he wasn't sure that he'd be able to make it to the first meeting at 10 am, because he had to complete his morning workout.

That is the way to work yourself out of a job.  ::)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4523 on: September 20, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
If you work at home you've got to have self-discipline.  I work from home, and I'm expected to be working on my account at a certain time.  My biggest issue is that I'm in a different state and three hours behind the office, and occasionally they forget to tell me things.  I guess that's a good thing:  I'm so reliable that no one needs to give me a second thought.  (Sigh.)

nuit93

« Reply #4524 on: September 20, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
If you work at home you've got to have self-discipline.  I work from home, and I'm expected to be working on my account at a certain time.  My biggest issue is that I'm in a different state and three hours behind the office, and occasionally they forget to tell me things.  I guess that's a good thing:  I'm so reliable that no one needs to give me a second thought.  (Sigh.)

We have a lot of work from home reps at my company.

One of the biggest requirements is that employees cannot be caring for their children while they are working (if they can't be home alone, they need to be cared for since the employee needs to be focused on work).  And yet whenever at-home reps need to be in the office for something, they get in a panic because 'CRUD MONKEYS! I need to arrange someone to watch my kids!'.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4525 on: September 20, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

One of the biggest requirements is that employees cannot be caring for their children while they are working (if they can't be home alone, they need to be cared for since the employee needs to be focused on work).  And yet whenever at-home reps need to be in the office for something, they get in a panic because 'CRUD MONKEYS! I need to arrange someone to watch my kids!'.

Busted! Then are are some, like my one boss, who will email us to let us know she's "working from home" because she has to go to the bank, and here and there. Um, if you're out running errands, you are NOT working.

cwm

« Reply #4526 on: September 20, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
BF has the option to work from home occasionally. Usually when he does, he's just monitoring a situation and doesn't have to be active in the conversation, so he'll be on a group Skype chat and mute it and do whatever else he wants to do while still paying enough attention to know if he's needed.

There was one meeting like that where one guy was trying to manage three kids. His wife had apparently run out for something, but she usually watched the kids, so now he was on his own with them. His role wasn't much more active than BF's, but one of the kids was constantly unmuting the Skype conversation, so you could hear a small one screaming in the background and the two older ones running wild while this poor dad was trying to manage them all until his wife got back. It was funny, until you realized that this was his job and these were his peers and supervisors who were listening to this.

Amara

« Reply #4527 on: September 20, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
Wow, that link!  >:(

I did find this line particularly "interesting": My personal impression is that the day-to-day grind of a job is below the dignity of women.

Well, okay! I could get into that. I'd love to be able to shop, hang out online, have lunch out, take an afternoon nap, swim, and read at leisure.

Oh, he doesn't mean that? ::) He just means the day-to-day grind of a PAID job is below the dignity of women. Scrubbing the house, preparing all meals, cleaning up, keeping his clothes clean and ready, watching and raising the kids, and all that non-job stuff is well within the dignity of women?  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4528 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »

Busted! Then are are some, like my one boss, who will email us to let us know she's "working from home" because she has to go to the bank, and here and there. Um, if you're out running errands, you are NOT working.

You worked for her too?  Didn't you just love it when she brought her kids to the office "for a few minutes" and they ran all over, tore things up, and screeched for 3 hours?  Yeah.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4529 on: September 20, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
Wow, that link!  >:(

I did find this line particularly "interesting": My personal impression is that the day-to-day grind of a job is below the dignity of women.

Well, okay! I could get into that. I'd love to be able to shop, hang out online, have lunch out, take an afternoon nap, swim, and read at leisure.

Oh, he doesn't mean that? ::) He just means the day-to-day grind of a PAID job is below the dignity of women. Scrubbing the house, preparing all meals, cleaning up, keeping his clothes clean and ready, watching and raising the kids, and all that non-job stuff is well within the dignity of women?  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The irony, of course, is that through most of history, the vast majority of women worked a "daily grind," either directly for wages, or on the land. The idea of "the man goes out and earns money, while the wife stays home, and does no 'productive' work," is really an artifact of the 20th century, where middle-class men started to want their wives to act as if they were part of the idle rich.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."