Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284558 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4560 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »
BG:  We are suddenly looking for a new computer-tech services person (she has opted to stay home due to her child care totally falling through for her brand new baby and daughter under 4). 

I'm spreading the news far and wide and utilizing our state's job link site.  Job seekers post resumes and invite employers to contact them. I've been contacting..../BG

One gentleman just posted his resume today.  Job skills almost an exact match, in the geographical area, hmmm, promising.  So I sent an introductory email and attached the application.  The response? 

"Who are you and why are you sending this to me?"  No, not promising at all.
My first thought is that he is sharing an email address with someone else who has no idea he's giving it out or maybe even applying for jobs -- spouse, roommate, soon-to-be-former-employer? Definitely a warning flag but I think more like an orange-ish rather than a full red. If it were me, I'd give him a second chance to apply, but on the alert for more warning signs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Carotte

« Reply #4561 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
BG:  We are suddenly looking for a new computer-tech services person (she has opted to stay home due to her child care totally falling through for her brand new baby and daughter under 4). 

I'm spreading the news far and wide and utilizing our state's job link site.  Job seekers post resumes and invite employers to contact them. I've been contacting..../BG

One gentleman just posted his resume today.  Job skills almost an exact match, in the geographical area, hmmm, promising.  So I sent an introductory email and attached the application.  The response? 

My first thought is that he is sharing an email address with someone else who has no idea he's giving it out or maybe even applying for jobs -- spouse, roommate, soon-to-be-former-employer? Definitely a warning flag but I think more like an orange-ish rather than a full red. If it were me, I'd give him a second chance to apply, but on the alert for more warning signs.

Who in this days and ages, even more someone saying they work in IT or with computers, shares an email adress?  :o

Library Dragon

« Reply #4562 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »
I should have known better, just by the email address.  It is MadHatter@iownmyowndomain.  My first thought was, 'I didn't he make a new email address?'  My fault, I take responsibility for reaching out to mad people.  Well, a very happy unbirthday to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4563 on: September 24, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »

Who in this days and ages, even more someone saying they work in IT or with computers, shares an email adress?  :o
For some reason I know a few, mostly couples, that share -- I guess I'll call it -- a household email address. It's not the most professional when applying for a job, but I don't think it's the kiss of death. The response was crazy though.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Carotte

« Reply #4564 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »

For some reason I know a few, mostly couples, that share -- I guess I'll call it -- a household email address. It's not the most professional when applying for a job, but I don't think it's the kiss of death. The response was crazy though.

lightbulb moment!
Now that you mention couples I guess it sometimes make sense, not in a "that's the only address I have and I share it", but in a Jonesfamilly@provider that gets redirected to John-Jones@provider and to Sarah-Jones@provider. That way Granma Jones doesn't even have to guess who she should mail and the school can reach both parents at the same time...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4565 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
DH and I share an email address, we started one together for our wedding as it was easy to see all the correspondence. But we each have multiple separate ones.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4566 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
Even if you share an email address with the entire family and your neighbors, it's just common sense to create a new one just for job hunting.  But this is the professional darwinism thread.....

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4567 on: September 24, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
Not just a new one, a non-embarrassing new one. Like firstname.lastname@something.com

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4568 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
My parents share an email address too, but that's mostly because my mom refuses to get her own. I suspect she's a bit of a technophobe. Either that or she just doesn't want to deal with emails from her crazy side of the family. She also refuses to get her own cell phone but woe to me if I don't answer mine whenever she calls.

I hate having multiple email accounts myself. I did that back in the early days of email and found it to be tedious to remember to check them all. Now, as much as I hate spam, I just use one personal address for everything and get militant about unsubscribing to unwanted email and using filters. Every year I go on a hunt and destroy for online/customer accounts I've created but haven't used. Then again, my address isn't named something crazy or unprofessional.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4569 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
If a couple or family want something like jonesfamily@example.com or alice-and-bob-wedding@example.com, that seems plausible. But when I was trying to decide who to vote for in the recent local primary, I was not impressed by the person whose only contact information in the voter information pamphlet was something like maryandjoe@well-known-isp. I wasn't expecting pat-for-council@example.com, but a non-shared address would have seemed more as though the candidate was taking the whole thing seriously. (A friend of mine has been posting about her local mayoral race, which is something of a mare's nest, and one of the things she talked about was email addresses and other aspects of candidate contact information.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4570 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
I have a family email account for school notices, PTA communication, shopping and traveling. I also have my own professional email, and several personal email accounts. After I learned to stay far away from one email provider, I no longer get much spam at all.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4571 on: September 25, 2013, 02:04:11 AM »
Oh .... wow.... I just had to read a winner of a CV. Introducing "The Precision Processor".

There was a paragraph of "Self Description" in the CV, which included some absolute gems:

Our candidate starts off in the third person with "His got a very experiential way of learning". It then continues in the next sentence with "He believes to have" the ability to whittle complex situations down into "comprehensible component part".

The award winning sentence (wherein he gets so excited about how awesome he is that he switches from third to first person halfway through): "In short he has mastered the art and science of precision and that's what makes me a Precision Processor".

He babbles on a bit more about how wonderful he is and how he sees life as a series of complex equations and finally ends off his masterpiece by comparing himself to Pythagoras.

And you may ask yourself how qualified Mr Pythagoras is and how many years experience he has? A mediocre high school pass, a technical certificate or two from a minor technical institute I don't recognise and 1 year's experience.

Once I'd stopped laughing, I binned it with a loud resounding "Noooooooo". My boss did offer to interview him just for kicks to see how bad he is in person, but we decided we had better things to do with our time than cater to delusional special snowflakes who mistake blinding arrogance for confidence.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Iris

« Reply #4572 on: September 25, 2013, 03:12:24 AM »
Oh .... wow.... I just had to read a winner of a CV. Introducing "The Precision Processor".

There was a paragraph of "Self Description" in the CV, which included some absolute gems:

Our candidate starts off in the third person with "His got a very experiential way of learning". It then continues in the next sentence with "He believes to have" the ability to whittle complex situations down into "comprehensible component part".

The award winning sentence (wherein he gets so excited about how awesome he is that he switches from third to first person halfway through): "In short he has mastered the art and science of precision and that's what makes me a Precision Processor".

He babbles on a bit more about how wonderful he is and how he sees life as a series of complex equations and finally ends off his masterpiece by comparing himself to Pythagoras.

And you may ask yourself how qualified Mr Pythagoras is and how many years experience he has? A mediocre high school pass, a technical certificate or two from a minor technical institute I don't recognise and 1 year's experience.

Once I'd stopped laughing, I binned it with a loud resounding "Noooooooo". My boss did offer to interview him just for kicks to see how bad he is in person, but we decided we had better things to do with our time than cater to delusional special snowflakes who mistake blinding arrogance for confidence.

In what way? Has he founded a religion? Involved himself in politics to the point where he has been run out of town? Or is his work so obscure and distant that no-one's quite sure if he really did it or not?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4573 on: September 25, 2013, 04:29:05 AM »

In what way? Has he founded a religion? Involved himself in politics to the point where he has been run out of town? Or is his work so obscure and distant that no-one's quite sure if he really did it or not?
And I quote: "Like Pythagoras he uses numbers to translate aspects of the world around him." (He'd swapped back to third person for the Pythagorus comparison).

(I snapped a photo of the paragraph for posterity)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Iris

« Reply #4574 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »

And I quote: "Like Pythagoras he uses numbers to translate aspects of the world around him." (He'd swapped back to third person for the Pythagorus comparison).

(I snapped a photo of the paragraph for posterity)

With no exaggeration, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a very long time indeed. According to that reasoning, the Count from Sesame Street is like Pythagoras...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.