Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1415996 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4575 on: September 25, 2013, 04:35:38 AM »
Oh .... wow.... I just had to read a winner of a CV. Introducing "The Precision Processor".

There was a paragraph of "Self Description" in the CV, which included some absolute gems:

Our candidate starts off in the third person with "His got a very experiential way of learning". It then continues in the next sentence with "He believes to have" the ability to whittle complex situations down into "comprehensible component part".

The award winning sentence (wherein he gets so excited about how awesome he is that he switches from third to first person halfway through): "In short he has mastered the art and science of precision and that's what makes me a Precision Processor".

He babbles on a bit more about how wonderful he is and how he sees life as a series of complex equations and finally ends off his masterpiece by comparing himself to Pythagoras.

And you may ask yourself how qualified Mr Pythagoras is and how many years experience he has? A mediocre high school pass, a technical certificate or two from a minor technical institute I don't recognise and 1 year's experience.

Once I'd stopped laughing, I binned it with a loud resounding "Noooooooo". My boss did offer to interview him just for kicks to see how bad he is in person, but we decided we had better things to do with our time than cater to delusional special snowflakes who mistake blinding arrogance for confidence.

In what way? Has he founded a religion? Involved himself in politics to the point where he has been run out of town? Or is his work so obscure and distant that no-one's quite sure if he really did it or not?
And I quote: "Like Pythagoras he uses numbers to translate aspects of the world around him." (He'd swapped back to third person for the Pythagorus comparison).

(I snapped a photo of the paragraph for posterity)

With no exaggeration, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a very long time indeed. According to that reasoning, the Count from Sesame Street is like Pythagoras...

Vun! Vun interview, zat is all I vant! AH AH AH!
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Iris

« Reply #4576 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »
Oh .... wow.... I just had to read a winner of a CV. Introducing "The Precision Processor".

There was a paragraph of "Self Description" in the CV, which included some absolute gems:

Our candidate starts off in the third person with "His got a very experiential way of learning". It then continues in the next sentence with "He believes to have" the ability to whittle complex situations down into "comprehensible component part".

The award winning sentence (wherein he gets so excited about how awesome he is that he switches from third to first person halfway through): "In short he has mastered the art and science of precision and that's what makes me a Precision Processor".

He babbles on a bit more about how wonderful he is and how he sees life as a series of complex equations and finally ends off his masterpiece by comparing himself to Pythagoras.

And you may ask yourself how qualified Mr Pythagoras is and how many years experience he has? A mediocre high school pass, a technical certificate or two from a minor technical institute I don't recognise and 1 year's experience.

Once I'd stopped laughing, I binned it with a loud resounding "Noooooooo". My boss did offer to interview him just for kicks to see how bad he is in person, but we decided we had better things to do with our time than cater to delusional special snowflakes who mistake blinding arrogance for confidence.

In what way? Has he founded a religion? Involved himself in politics to the point where he has been run out of town? Or is his work so obscure and distant that no-one's quite sure if he really did it or not?
And I quote: "Like Pythagoras he uses numbers to translate aspects of the world around him." (He'd swapped back to third person for the Pythagorus comparison).

(I snapped a photo of the paragraph for posterity)

With no exaggeration, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a very long time indeed. According to that reasoning, the Count from Sesame Street is like Pythagoras...

Vun! Vun interview, zat is all I vant! AH AH AH!

Bahahahahahahaha
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4577 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
As potentially hilarious as the interview promises to be, someone that crazy on paper has the potential to be 100 times crazier in person, and you don't want to give him any encouragement at all, or you will never be free of him.

And even before we got to the Count, I was laughing hysterically at the bizarre syntax and abrupt changes in POV.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4578 on: September 25, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »
As potentially hilarious as the interview promises to be, someone that crazy on paper has the potential to be 100 times crazier in person, and you don't want to give him any encouragement at all, or you will never be free of him.

And even before we got to the Count, I was laughing hysterically at the bizarre syntax and abrupt changes in POV.
That's what happens when you have 3 separate identities taking turns writing. >:D

I'm glad I work for a government agency; We would have been required to interview him.  ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

cwm

« Reply #4579 on: September 25, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
On the professional email tangent, for the love of anything you care about, please please PLEASE make a professional sounding username on a website for a financial institution. The email address on this one wasn't bad, but the user ID was "GetMoneyB*tches#" complete with hashtag at the end. Except no asterisk. I passed it along, and it doesn't seem like this person has anything keeping us from helping them at this point, but really? Why would you do that?

I've also seen email addressess like sexxiekittie6969@isp.com or suzihottpants@isp.com for these applications.

I don't mind email addresses with random letters and numbers. I've seen things like davq693021@isp.com and while it's not easy to remember on the top of my head, I think it's much more professional than the ones in the last paragraph.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4580 on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
On the professional email tangent, for the love of anything you care about, please please PLEASE make a professional sounding username on a website for a financial institution. The email address on this one wasn't bad, but the user ID was "GetMoneyB*tches#" complete with hashtag at the end. Except no asterisk. I passed it along, and it doesn't seem like this person has anything keeping us from helping them at this point, but really? Why would you do that?

I've also seen email addressess like sexxiekittie6969@isp.com or suzihottpants@isp.com for these applications.

I don't mind email addresses with random letters and numbers. I've seen things like davq693021@isp.com and while it's not easy to remember on the top of my head, I think it's much more professional than the ones in the last paragraph.

You know this advice has been around since the beginning of the internet and people STILL don't get it. 

I'm hiring for a job now and I have in my inbox: Sexyname223@isp.com, FirstnameGrownandSexyLastname@isp.com, SomebodysMom@isp.com and LovelyEthnicityFirstName@isp.com.  arghhhh

jmarvellous

« Reply #4581 on: September 25, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
There's a guy whose 'find me a girlfriend' site has gone absolutely viral in the past few days because it's full of offensive content, awkwardness, bravado, grossness, etc. All the things you'd put in a FAKE dating profile if you wanted to troll the whole Internet.

Now, I get why people are laughing at this guy ... but a friend of mine had to file a police report (I forget whether it escalated to a restraining order or not) against him at one point a few years ago. I even witnessed some of his stalking behavior, and saw him go through an online breakdown or something like it, posting wild and weird youtube videos all day and night. He's a through-and-through creep, probably with some additional issues that could use some professional assistance. He's not someone to even joke with because of these issues. So it rather burns me up that he's getting any attention whatsoever (even as I totally get it).

Why's this on the professional darwinism thread, you ask? Obviously, this guy's employer found out about his latest exploits. He's been suspended.

hjaye

« Reply #4582 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

You know this advice has been around since the beginning of the internet and people STILL don't get it. 

I'm hiring for a job now and I have in my inbox: Sexyname223@isp.com, FirstnameGrownandSexyLastname@isp.com, SomebodysMom@isp.com and LovelyEthnicityFirstName@isp.com.  arghhhh

I agree.  I worked with a young lady a few years back, she was determined to break into film industry.  She had done some work doing some trailers and such.  She showed me her resume one day.  It was very professional looking, lots of skills and talent.  If you wanted to contact her, you could send her an email.  I don't remember the exact email, but it was something like sexybunnyfoofoo@isp.com

I told her I didn't think too many producers, or directors was going to take her very serious with the email address she had, and she might want to consider setting up a new one with a more professional sounding address.

I know she didn't take my advice, and I admit maybe I'm wrong, maybe the movie industry looks for sexybunnyfoofoos, I haven't seen her in any films so I'm guessing she's still trying to break in.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4583 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
Perhaps she did indeed break into the film industry, making the kinds of films for which sexybunnyfoofoo is an appropriate name.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

cwm

« Reply #4584 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »

I agree.  I worked with a young lady a few years back, she was determined to break into film industry.  She had done some work doing some trailers and such.  She showed me her resume one day.  It was very professional looking, lots of skills and talent.  If you wanted to contact her, you could send her an email.  I don't remember the exact email, but it was something like sexybunnyfoofoo@isp.com

I told her I didn't think too many producers, or directors was going to take her very serious with the email address she had, and she might want to consider setting up a new one with a more professional sounding address.

I know she didn't take my advice, and I admit maybe I'm wrong, maybe the movie industry looks for sexybunnyfoofoos, I haven't seen her in any films so I'm guessing she's still trying to break in.

It really does depend on the type of movies she's trying to get into (said the actress to the bishop).

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4585 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

This was in 2011.  :o

Nutcases still abound.
http://www.fixthefamily.com/blog/6-reasons-to-not-send-your-daughter-to-college

Darn. I suppose it's too late to ask my husband that ever-important first date question: "Do you plan on becoming disabled, unfaithful, or DEAD any time in the future, ever?"
W.O.W.com
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4586 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Darn. I suppose it's too late to ask my husband that ever-important first date question: "Do you plan on becoming disabled, unfaithful, or DEAD any time in the future, ever?"

I guess it's a good thing I went to college and earned that engineering degree since my body never conceived a child and my husband was disabled before our 5th anniversary.  I have supported the household since and we are comfortable - not rich, but not shopping at the Food Bank either.

I work for the government, so there are rules which (mostly) prevent discrimination against women in hiring and promotions.  Almost half the engineers I work with are women and nearly a quarter of the chiefs are women, too.

My SIL is a devout Catholic.  She has a doctorate and she's brilliant.  They only have one child and she works part-time.  They could (& have in the past) rent out a room in their Starter Mansion or move to a smaller house in a less prestigious neighborhood to avoid her needing the income from her part-time job, but she has choices because she uses the brain that the Diety gave her to take care of her family.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:00:54 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

carimwc

« Reply #4587 on: September 26, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
There's a guy whose 'find me a girlfriend' site has gone absolutely viral in the past few days because it's full of offensive content, awkwardness, bravado, grossness, etc. All the things you'd put in a FAKE dating profile if you wanted to troll the whole Internet.

Now, I get why people are laughing at this guy ... but a friend of mine had to file a police report (I forget whether it escalated to a restraining order or not) against him at one point a few years ago. I even witnessed some of his stalking behavior, and saw him go through an online breakdown or something like it, posting wild and weird youtube videos all day and night. He's a through-and-through creep, probably with some additional issues that could use some professional assistance. He's not someone to even joke with because of these issues. So it rather burns me up that he's getting any attention whatsoever (even as I totally get it).

Why's this on the professional darwinism thread, you ask? Obviously, this guy's employer found out about his latest exploits. He's been suspended.

The police report thing is true? He is doing an AMA on Reddit and that was brought up, but he blew it off. One of the local radio stations had him on, so he's not even being cautious about the whole thing. I'm not surprised he was suspended. I heard he was in the legal department at a call center, so there may be a whole covering their assets deal happening there.

jmarvellous

« Reply #4588 on: September 26, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

The police report thing is true? He is doing an AMA on Reddit and that was brought up, but he blew it off. One of the local radio stations had him on, so he's not even being cautious about the whole thing. I'm not surprised he was suspended. I heard he was in the legal department at a call center, so there may be a whole covering their assets deal happening there.

Yep, as long as the friend (who I trust) is telling the truth (and was telling it back when). She was pretty freaked out at the time, but she is somewhere halfway between angry and amused right now.

Hillia

« Reply #4589 on: September 26, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
I had posted awhile before about a group of women at DH's workplace who were ganging up on a new hire, including such junior high tricks as leaving a stuffed hippo at her workstation  ::).  One of the ringleaders was fired this week.  Seems she was written up twice last year for the same thing, and warned that one more incident would result in her termination.  She got a new manager this year and five or six more warnings, but the ax finally fell this week and she was escorted out, with much drama and hysteria on her part.  Her sister, who also works there, is stomping around with a black look griping about how unfair it all is. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools