Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1080671 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4620 on: September 30, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
One of the writers for Inbox.com posted last night's ending of Breaking Bad right on their home page. I don't watch the show, but that seems like a lovely way to tick people off

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4621 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
I know the feeling.  Mr. Thipu was a government employee.  Although the service for which he worked generated a substantial profit for the state, it was always under great pressure to cut back.  The annual picnic had to go.   

It didn't help that the directors of the service were appointed by the Governor so top management changed every four years.

I think it's also unfortunate that many of the fifth estate sometimes jump the gun and accuse government workers of not doing things properly, when the real problem is that the reporter doesn't understand what it is that is being done. (I mentioned earlier about the TV station that gave a scathing denunciation of a government department that had come to a neighborhood, opened the fire hydrant and left, leaving the water gushing. Turns out there had been a pressure buildup in the water system, and this was the only option for relieving it until repairs could be made.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #4622 on: September 30, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
One of the writers for Inbox.com posted last night's ending of Breaking Bad right on their home page. I don't watch the show, but that seems like a lovely way to tick people off

I think if (generic) you missed the series finale of a wildly popular show and you don't want it to be spoilered, it's on you to avoid websites which might give away the ending.

gollymolly2

« Reply #4623 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »

I think if (generic) you missed the series finale of a wildly popular show and you don't want it to be spoilered, it's on you to avoid websites which might give away the ending.

Eh, given that most people watch shows on dvr these days, I think it's reasonable to give it a little time. Its not that people shouldn't talk about the show immediately after or anything - it would just be nice if people took a second to type out a spoiler warning.

I wasn't able to watch breaking bad until midnight last night. I would have really preferred to just wait until after work tonight to watch it, but I knew the risk of spoilers was too high.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4624 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
My husband has the opposite issue at work, where he comes home and tells me about how his office had hundreds of people spend an hour each day for a week doing lame "team building" exercises when there's a budget crisis going on.  I think part of it is that he gets frustrated about being able to get his work done when they keep making people take time out for what he calls "mandatory fun."

Shalamar

« Reply #4625 on: September 30, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
Eh, given that most people watch shows on dvr these days, I think it's reasonable to give it a little time.

Me too.  It's been less than 24 hours since the finale aired; I think that website should've been more discreet.  Somewhat related:  I got MAJOR spoilers for upcoming episodes of Game of Thrones on Reddit, of all places.  And it wasn't a thread called "GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS" or anything obvious - it was an Ask Reddit thread called "What's the worst way you've ruined someone's day?", or something like that.  A Redditor answered the question as if he were Tyrion Lannister, and he gave away major plot points from the books that haven't made their way to the TV series yet.  I was not happy.   >:(

z_squared82

« Reply #4626 on: September 30, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
Speaking of government employees, my father has a coworker who might not be trying to commit PD, but it sure looks odd.

Dad works for Large Government Organization, with a union. Said LGO and union have a VERY generous leave policy. As in, Dad has only been there for eight years and already has six or seven weeks of leave (sick and vacation) he can take every year. I can only imagine what the lifers have. Also, you can roll it over from year to year without issue, and can cash out up to six weeks when you retire as a nice going away present. Like I said, very generous.

Dad has a coworker who has been with the LGO for years longer than Dad. And this coworker uses up all of his sick and vacation time Every Single Year. Okay, that in and of itself isnít so bad. Itís his time, he can do with it what he will. But then he also take a few weeks of unpaid leave. To do things like a Bible camp with his children Ė a vacation, or at least something that can be accounted for a while in advance. This year, he has to have surgery. Itís September, heís already used up all his time. So instead of putting in for that unpaid leave like usual, he asks other employees to donate their time, b/c, you know, this was so unexpected (knee surgery, I think), and he canít handle this much time unpaid.

Dad declined donating time.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4627 on: September 30, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
^ I would decline as well.

We have a coworker who takes an extraordinary amount of leave and even when she is in the office, she is rarely operating at 100%. She has been put on probation at least 3 times because of her excessive leave taking. Nothing has changed.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4628 on: September 30, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »
Dad has a coworker who has been with the LGO for years longer than Dad. And this coworker uses up all of his sick and vacation time Every Single Year. Okay, that in and of itself isnít so bad. Itís his time, he can do with it what he will. But then he also take a few weeks of unpaid leave. To do things like a Bible camp with his children Ė a vacation, or at least something that can be accounted for a while in advance. This year, he has to have surgery. Itís September, heís already used up all his time. So instead of putting in for that unpaid leave like usual, he asks other employees to donate their time, b/c, you know, this was so unexpected (knee surgery, I think), and he canít handle this much time unpaid.

Wow, that reminded me of somebody I used to work with at my library.  We got a decent amount of sick leave and annual leave.  She, like your Dad's coworker, used it all up all the time.  She had tons of days off, and she took off sick for everything, even "mental health" days.  Then she'd have to have hip surgery (she needed this several times while I was there) and ask for leave donations.  She'd get the surgery, and go back to taking time off for everything all the time, only to need surgery again.  Sometimes it felt like she was off a day every week.  I didn't donate leave to her, but I *did* donate leave to others (like the woman whose husband was dying of cancer), so it's not like I'd never donate leave... but I just didn't think it fair to take so many vacations and then expect others to give up their leave for you.  Oh, and you could only donate vacation leave, not sick leave (which you lost if you didn't take).  So I'd be giving up my vacation time and losing my sick leave, while she'd get all of both of hers plus extra.

Shalamar

« Reply #4629 on: September 30, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
My mother used to work for a union office, and the union reps got several weeks of R&R every year in addition to several weeks of vacation time.  When one of the reps was getting ready to leave for R&R, Mum made the mistake of saying "Have fun during your time off!"  The rep got very nasty and said "It's not a vacation, it's R&R."  When I heard that story, I said "Maybe someone should remind him what those R's stand for."

z_squared82

« Reply #4630 on: September 30, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »

Wow, that reminded me of somebody I used to work with at my library.  We got a decent amount of sick leave and annual leave.  She, like your Dad's coworker, used it all up all the time.  She had tons of days off, and she took off sick for everything, even "mental health" days.  Then she'd have to have hip surgery (she needed this several times while I was there) and ask for leave donations.  She'd get the surgery, and go back to taking time off for everything all the time, only to need surgery again.  Sometimes it felt like she was off a day every week.  I didn't donate leave to her, but I *did* donate leave to others (like the woman whose husband was dying of cancer), so it's not like I'd never donate leave... but I just didn't think it fair to take so many vacations and then expect others to give up their leave for you.  Oh, and you could only donate vacation leave, not sick leave (which you lost if you didn't take).  So I'd be giving up my vacation time and losing my sick leave, while she'd get all of both of hers plus extra.

Yeah, Dad has donated time before. I think it was to a mother whose child was hospitalized. But he feels no sympathy for this coworker. (Plus, Dad wants to be able to cash out the max when he retires. He's sensible with his leave time.)

I'm sure I could come up with a whole mess of other potential PD from this LGO, but this is the one Dad has been talking about lately.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #4631 on: September 30, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
I know the feeling.  Mr. Thipu was a government employee.  Although the service for which he worked generated a substantial profit for the state, it was always under great pressure to cut back.  The annual picnic had to go.   

It didn't help that the directors of the service were appointed by the Governor so top management changed every four years.

I think it's also unfortunate that many of the fifth estate sometimes jump the gun and accuse government workers of not doing things properly, when the real problem is that the reporter doesn't understand what it is that is being done
::) Like the venerable $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.  If your government office needs hammers, you can't take $20 out of petty cash and go buy a couple at Home Depot or Sears.  No, you have to put out a call for your suppliers to bid on.  And if the lowest bid comes in at $200 per hammer, then that's how much your office will pay for them.   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Iris

« Reply #4632 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »

I think it's also unfortunate that many of the fifth estate sometimes jump the gun and accuse government workers of not doing things properly, when the real problem is that the reporter doesn't understand what it is that is being done
::) Like the venerable $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.  If your government office needs hammers, you can't take $20 out of petty cash and go buy a couple at Home Depot or Sears.  No, you have to put out a call for your suppliers to bid on.  And if the lowest bid comes in at $200 per hammer, then that's how much your office will pay for them.

^That drives me mad at work, too. Stuff that I could pick up down the road for $3 has to go through an 'approved' supplier that charges $5 and so on up the line. Then when the press quite rightly takes offense at this waste of taxpayer dollars they blame the workers instead of the stupid bureaucratic system. All the while we're standing there saying "We know this is stupid! What are you looking at us for!"
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4633 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
*Snicker* I have a few for you all from my mom's workplace.

So New Girl (known now on as NG for quick typing purposes) had to take a test. All employees must take this test, it is mandatory. Note that this test is nothing MAJOR and I have in fact had one when I volunteered at the local hospital. I was back to volunteering after the test, it was so non invasive.

So, NG informs BossMan that she will not be back and will be leaving for the day after she gets this test done. She hasn't even had her 90 days in yet. I am waiting for my mother to come home and tell me she either quit or was fired.

Second story:

CrazyLady at mom's work is throwing a grown up tantrum because she can't stay where she is (how where my mom works is set up there are different positions for diff hours, 30 hours and such a week and what not) and hers is like almost full time. She is angry that BossMan must move her around and not keep her in her "spot" so to speak. In order to get her hours and not cut them at all she must move around and work in diff depts.

She has yelled and ranted calling people who do my mom's job "Idiots and they're all stupid and blah blah blah". Those that work in mom's dept. have heard about this, and even the Union Rep doesn't want to work with her!

We are just waiting to see how this one will turn out.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4634 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Oh...putting things out to bid...we spent the summer at our library without air conditioning.  Last year (as in last October) the nice people fixing our roof knocked some of the AC hookups (or something...no one is clear on what was broken) and then a well placed lightning bolt took care of some others.

Keep in mind our library board knew about this in October of 2012...but decided they had all winter to decide what to do. 

They put the AC repairs out to bid sometime in May.  Supposedly the winning bid came in in June or July.  No repairs were done and it cost five figures to not get the work done.

We have sweltered for months in clothing soaked with sweat.  Of the several water coolers in the building, only one was doing us much good.  Around the end of August, they rented portable AC machines which took the entire month to FINALLY cool down the staff offices. 

Staff has been sick from the heat, we fall asleep because of the heat (honestly, some days it feels as if we are all in a library version of "The Langoliers" as we cannot keep our eyes open thanks to the lack of oxygen) and tomorrow marks almost an entire year without AC.

We're taking bets on when this very expensive AC is going to be installed.  I am guessing the end of January.  Then they will run it for a month to make sure it works properly.  Of course, it won't make a difference as I just heard from maintenance that we will need to replace the boiler soon as well.

They wonder why we are cranky.