Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1471071 times)

Yarnspinner

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4665 on: October 02, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
May I nominate people who aren't yet professionals who I expect to commit PD once they ARE professional?  Two young women were taking a practice test for nursing school on one of our computers. 

One of them approached me and said there was something wrong with the computer.

"It won't shut off!"

Our computers shut off by themselves all the time, so this sounded very odd. 

I went to the computer and looked.  "See, it won't turn off!  I can't get out of the program!"

She was hitting a button that said "Next" and it kept bringing her to the same page because.....there was an error she had made somewhere on the test and it wanted her to go back.

How do I know this was the problem?

Because it SAID SO RIGHT ON THE SCREEN which also said CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO PREVIOUS PAGE. 

I want to know where these ladies will be hired so I never go to that hospital.  'cause if they cannot read the screen in front of them, I am terrified of what they might not be able to read about a patient's care.

mmswm

« Reply #4666 on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
Mommy called her in sick?  In our personnel policy, it expressly states that you have to call in yourself unless you are physically incapable.  And they mean it: you better be out cold or in a med evac helicoptor.

My mother called in sick for me once.  I had a vent tube down my throat at the time. I thought that was a pretty good reason to have somebody else call my boss.

But see, you were physically incapable of calling.

Sorry, yes.  That was my point.  I was trying to be a little bit lighthearted.  I suppose I should have thrown a  ;) in there to indicate I was being a bit silly. I did actually have to have my mother call my boss because of being on a ventilator, and my boss was more than understanding.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Jocelyn

« Reply #4667 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
May I nominate people who aren't yet professionals who I expect to commit PD once they ARE professional?  Two young women were taking a practice test for nursing school on one of our computers.   
A few years ago at graduation, there was a nursing student who painted her mortarboard to indicate that she was looking for a job.
Except that she painted it with the 'top' being the corner over her left ear.
A nurse who lacks attention to details! Yep, that's exactly who I'd want to hire.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4668 on: October 02, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
The three departments + state cops start covering the next set of schools going out from the three schools he showed up at. THey catch him, his parole is revoked, new charges filed and he goes back to school.

Headline - Local School allows Known (Type offence) to Volunteer

Jail, right? Please say jail. 
sorry I was tired yes jail.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4669 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »
On donated sick leave. I love the way my district does it. During the same window you sign up for insurance you can join the sick leave bank. You donate 1 day a year. If you get sick and run out of days you can get a certain number based on how many years you have been donating. No pressure to donate to the co-worker who has severe asthma in the spring but uses up her days every fall going to motorcycle rallies.

On family calling in. Sis may have saved me from an investigation if not firing. I was admitted to the hospital after showing up with an allergic reaction, chest pains, and my heart murmur being more pronounced.

When she found out, I was loopy from a bad reaction to some meds and getting sick very frequently. She called the school and told them I had been admitted to the cardiac service and that she would update them.

Turned out I had called in the absence in the middle of the night and was pretty obviously High as a kite. The people that handle subs notified my principal. She told them there was high probability that I was in a hospital (they thought I was making that up), because she knew I didn't drink and had bizarre reactions to medications before. (I have a form on file in the office that they are to give to the ambulance or ER that explains this history). I brought documentation that my behavior was due to bad reaction to ER medication.

Potential PD - I keep a card with this history with me - and I had given them the information. They still gave me a medication that should be a sedative but sends me cartwheeling into orbit. Sis showed up just in time to stop them from giving me another medication with a similar  history of reactions.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4670 on: October 02, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I had a friend who worked for a state government agency. He had a dreadful health issue while visiting his parents on a weekend. Monday, his mother called his office to tell them he would not be in. The person answering the phone said "I beg your pardon..." and immediately transferred the call to a security-sounding person. Mom, understandably a bit rattled, had managed to misdial and get the very, very private number of the governor of the state, The one he answered himself because only close friends & family used it. "Billy is sick and won't be in today" was not exactly what he was expecting to hear.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4671 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
Mommy called her in sick?  In our personnel policy, it expressly states that you have to call in yourself unless you are physically incapable.  And they mean it: you better be out cold or in a med evac helicoptor.

My mother called in sick for me once.  I had a vent tube down my throat at the time. I thought that was a pretty good reason to have somebody else call my boss.

I'd call that a very good reason.  Mr. Sirius called my boss for me once, but it was because I had been hospitalized and had no way to call long distance.  Once when I had laryngitis so bad that I could barely squeak I called my boss, and once she figured out who I was and why I was calling told me I didn't have to call in again until I got some voice back.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4672 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »
I had a coworker's wife call and ask me to tell her husband that he couldn't come to work that day.

He was in the ER with a leaking heart valve, but he was insisting on coming in despite the doctor's telling him not to. I told him if he came in I'd pick him up and carry him home. He knew I'd do it too. He did not come in that day.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4673 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
I called DH's employer once for him, not just to say "He won't be in today" but "You know that business trip to the UK next week?  Yeah, he isn't going on that.  He's in the hospital hooked up to monitors and waiting for bypass surgery."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

greencat

« Reply #4674 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:03 AM »
I wish my manager would stop letting my coworker get away with, well, not hardly doing anything.  She made a joke about "What would you guys do without me here?" and I couldn't help but think "The same thing we do with you here - since you don't really do much of the work."  I couldn't really come up with a sincere and nice response...I swear she must be blackmailing the management to still have her job.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4675 on: October 03, 2013, 03:32:39 AM »
My sister called in sick for me one day- I had food poisoning.

This was many many years ago,  before cellphones and when older houses -as ours was - usually had one phone and they were hardwired so you couldn't move them from room to room. I was upstairs; the phone was downstairs.

The boss intimated that food poisoning was maybe a not good excuse. My sister -who is ruthless when she has to be- pointed out that constant vomiting is not what customers at a fast food restaurant want to see. They got into it further and the boss finally agreed that I was calling in. Then she told my sister that I should be the one calling in. Thoroughly fed up my sister snapped "she would if she could make it downstairs to the phone without throwing up!"

Thus my passed my first day with a new store manager. Needless to say she never warmed up to me.

MyFamily

« Reply #4676 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
Has anyone seen this video?
http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2013/09/30/marina-v-shifrin-mizzou-grad-quits-job-with-dancing-video

Journalism graduate has a job working for a company that makes news videos.  She's been there about 2 years, She's 'put her whole life into this job' but her boss only cares about the number of videos and the number of views.  She's outraged at this devaluation of the journalism profession.

To express her views, she made a short video of herself dancing in the office and posted it on the internet, with the message 'I quit'.  Way to handle yourself in a mature, professional manner.  I wonder how many top news agencies will be pounding down her door?

She's got a job offer:
http://shine.yahoo.com/secrets-to-your-success/i-quit-girl-lands-job-offer-165556646.html

Granted, it probably was offered partially for the publicity for the show it is generating, but it sounds like an honest offer.  And I like Queen Latifah too much to think she'd make the offer and then ruin it behind the scenes.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

z_squared82

« Reply #4677 on: October 07, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
My teacher friend has the best stories. Iím sure I donít mind not having any of my own.  :)

One of her co-workers finally got fired. This older, sexist, racist teacher had a habit of send out emails to the entire department, ranting about how awful the kids were today. This never got him in trouble. So how was he finally fired? The latest email, he NAMED NAMES and identified each child as Future Drug Dealer, Future Prostitute, Mostly Likely to End up on Death Row, etc.  :o My friend is not sad heís gone.

darling

« Reply #4678 on: October 07, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
My teacher friend has the best stories. Iím sure I donít mind not having any of my own.  :)

One of her co-workers finally got fired. This older, sexist, racist teacher had a habit of send out emails to the entire department, ranting about how awful the kids were today. This never got him in trouble. So how was he finally fired? The latest email, he NAMED NAMES and identified each child as Future Drug Dealer, Future Prostitute, Mostly Likely to End up on Death Row, etc.  :o My friend is not sad heís gone.

:o

Wow...

z_squared82

« Reply #4679 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
Speaking of government employees, my father has a coworker who might not be trying to commit PD, but it sure looks odd.

Dad works for Large Government Organization, with a union. Said LGO and union have a VERY generous leave policy. As in, Dad has only been there for eight years and already has six or seven weeks of leave (sick and vacation) he can take every year. I can only imagine what the lifers have. Also, you can roll it over from year to year without issue, and can cash out up to six weeks when you retire as a nice going away present. Like I said, very generous.

Dad has a coworker who has been with the LGO for years longer than Dad. And this coworker uses up all of his sick and vacation time Every Single Year. Okay, that in and of itself isnít so bad. Itís his time, he can do with it what he will. But then he also take a few weeks of unpaid leave. To do things like a Bible camp with his children Ė a vacation, or at least something that can be accounted for a while in advance. This year, he has to have surgery. Itís September, heís already used up all his time. So instead of putting in for that unpaid leave like usual, he asks other employees to donate their time, b/c, you know, this was so unexpected (knee surgery, I think), and he canít handle this much time unpaid.

Dad declined donating time.

Update on this gem.

He's off for his surgery. People have donated time to him so he can continue to be paid. And what does he post to Facebook? How he's going on vacation. I'm sure the union will do nothing.

(I think this might irk dad even more than most b/c he specifically avoided going Out of State with Mom while he was out after knee surgery, not b/c he was physically unable, but b/c he was on workerís comp and didnít want to temp a fraud suit.)