News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 06:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4283746 times)

MissRose

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4620 on: October 10, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »
I've met a woman who finally moved out of the family home and got a job AFTER her father died (older parents when they had an only child, I think).  Never seriously dated, from what she's said.  She was in her late thirties or early forties when Daddy passed away...no job, no schooling since high school, and no experience in running her own life. 

Makes you want to go back in time and shake some sense into her parents...or encourage her to step out on her own twenty-odd years earlier...

One of my long time friends has never married and never lived anywhere but with her parents.  She has been always been employed, and contributed to the household in terms of chores & paying the bills. Her parents are now deceased, and she lives on her own, still employed.  Her parents would have allowed her to move but they had a very good relationship.  I never heard her talk bad about her parents, and I did meet them when they were alive - both very good people.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #4621 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
I've met a woman who finally moved out of the family home and got a job AFTER her father died (older parents when they had an only child, I think).  Never seriously dated, from what she's said.  She was in her late thirties or early forties when Daddy passed away...no job, no schooling since high school, and no experience in running her own life. 

Makes you want to go back in time and shake some sense into her parents...or encourage her to step out on her own twenty-odd years earlier...

One of my long time friends has never married and never lived anywhere but with her parents.  She has been always been employed, and contributed to the household in terms of chores & paying the bills. Her parents are now deceased, and she lives on her own, still employed.  Her parents would have allowed her to move but they had a very good relationship.  I never heard her talk bad about her parents, and I did meet them when they were alive - both very good people.

? something attributed wrong or got lost?

She's mentioned that her father referred to her as "Daddy's little girl" and that he didn't want her to go out and find a job - she did take over the housekeeping & cooking, apparently, at some point.  But...she didn't earn money, she didn't pay bills, she had no idea of how to handle ADULT style tasks because she lived at home and apparently had an "allowance" for spending money - but since she didn't meet many men, she never really got courted (maybe she would have gotten married if she'd lived the same life only 50 to 150 years EARLIER - I don't know) or dated. 

Apparently her personality is such that she didn't feel the need or possibly didn't have the ability to push the boundaries and go out on her own more.....we socialize "once in a while" but the talk over the card table is not heart-to-heart sharing - more "how's the weather" and "what did you do last week" kind of thing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:38:22 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

squeakers

« Reply #4622 on: October 10, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »

She's mentioned that her father referred to her as "Daddy's little girl" and that he didn't want her to go out and find a job - she did take over the housekeeping & cooking, apparently, at some point.  But...she didn't earn money, she didn't pay bills, she had no idea of how to handle ADULT style tasks because she lived at home and apparently had an "allowance" for spending money - but since she didn't meet many men, she never really got courted (maybe she would have gotten married if she'd lived the same life only 50 to 150 years EARLIER - I don't know) or dated. 

Apparently her personality is such that she didn't feel the need or possibly didn't have the ability to push the boundaries and go out on her own more.....we socialize "once in a while" but the talk over the card table is not heart-to-heart sharing - more "how's the weather" and "what did you do last week" kind of thing.

So, not much different than me, a SAHM.  Sure I had to cook and clean all these years. And make make babies (fun :) ).  But I only just started doing the bills 2 years ago and only 3 of them. I get an allowance too.

Not everyone wants to be married.  Not everyone wants kids.  And that's not a bad thing.

ETA I have no idea why this whole block is quoted the way it is... I checked the BBC and it seems fine. Aha! Extra top quote message left in there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:59:10 PM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4623 on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
And further to client who doesn't need my assistance, I have in my possession an item that was provided to me by the aforementioned client in order for me to do the work. Since the contract is now over, client, perfectly reasonably, wants the item back. I offered to take it to the local office of Large Courier; client preferred to make arrangements with Small Courier. Fine, it's not as if I care. Client asked me to parcel item up and weigh it; client would then arrange for Small Courier to collect it. I advised client of parcel weight and also that I was never available to hand over the item in the morning.

OK, maybe I should have said 'and not necessarily in the afternoon; you need to let me know what day he's coming'.

At 1:15 p.m there was an email saying 'courier coming this afternoon'.

So I told the Younger Chick that he was going to have to walk to his play rehearsal, and possibly also walk home afterwards because I needed to be at home for the courier; I also cancelled my plan to go to the supermarket and to the Post Office.

Courier didn't come.

I have emailed ex-client and told them flatly to get courier to telephone before calling. Tomorrow I'm doing all the things I should have done today, plus the ones I already had planned for tomorrow, and you know something? I'm not staying at home to wait for anybody. I'm busy. Yes, I want their doodad out of my house, but I'm not rearranging any more of my life for them.

Chip2

« Reply #4624 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
I had a friend who worked for a state government agency. He had a dreadful health issue while visiting his parents on a weekend. Monday, his mother called his office to tell them he would not be in. The person answering the phone said "I beg your pardon..." and immediately transferred the call to a security-sounding person. Mom, understandably a bit rattled, had managed to misdial and get the very, very private number of the governor of the state, The one he answered himself because only close friends & family used it. "Billy is sick and won't be in today" was not exactly what he was expecting to hear.

Something similar happened to MsChip. When I was stationed in Hawaii she was selling toys in a party-style environment and got an order for about $100. She took an Army soldier's check that bounced, so she went through the usual routine of notifying the check writer. However, despite phone calls and certified letters she was ignored for about three weeks. So she did a little sleuthing and got a phone number for the check writer's supervisor's office in an attempt to raise the stakes.

Now, MsChip was prior Air Force, and I was active duty Army at the time. So when Captain Smith answered the phone MsChip just explained the situation and was told she'd have her money by the end of the week. But then Captain Smith asked how MsChip got the number; apparently the Pearl Harbor operator gave her the first one that popped up. Captain Smith said "Okay", my wife said "Thank you" and the call ended.

Two hours later the check writer screeched up to our house and practically threw the money (including fines) at my wife and yelled at her for getting the commander of the Pacific Joint Intelligence Operations Center involved in his bad check. Yeah, a Navy captain, which is the equivalent of an Army or Air Force colonel. A total accident on MsChip's part, but it got things worked out.  >:D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4625 on: October 15, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Lots of turnover at work right now, and one particular employee that has had a record of calling off work on a weekly basis just stopped showing up a few weeks ago. The supervisor did a welfare check, and the soon to be former employee is just fine and dandy, although no longer coming to work.

An email indicating the employee was leaving would have been too much trouble?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chip2

« Reply #4626 on: October 15, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
 ::) Like the venerable $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.  If your government office needs hammers, you can't take $20 out of petty cash and go buy a couple at Home Depot or Sears.  No, you have to put out a call for your suppliers to bid on.  And if the lowest bid comes in at $200 per hammer, then that's how much your office will pay for them.
[/quote]

Fortunately, at least for the Army, those days are long gone. Units are issued a credit card and if they need a hammer, somebody goes down to the Home Depot and buys a hammer for $20. The purchases are audited at least quarterly, so as long as nobody does something stupid (yeah, right  ::)  ) everybody is happy, including the tax payers.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #4627 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
My former colleague who successfully committed PD (the guy who got arrested, who had lied about his qualifications, and was also apparently abusing the information access of our position) managed to apply to the same position I've applied to - which requires more expertise than my current position.  He put his brief tenure with my department on his application and in "Reason for Leaving" he wrote "Will explain during interview."

I have a friend who works in that department, and as the worker bees in that department interact frequently with my department, he and his colleagues were asked about who on Earth this guy was...my friend reported that he started laughing and directed his supervisors to the arrest report.  I have certain doubts about his chances of getting an interview...

VorFemme

« Reply #4628 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »
My former colleague who successfully committed PD (the guy who got arrested, who had lied about his qualifications, and was also apparently abusing the information access of our position) managed to apply to the same position I've applied to - which requires more expertise than my current position.  He put his brief tenure with my department on his application and in "Reason for Leaving" he wrote "Will explain during interview."

I have a friend who works in that department, and as the worker bees in that department interact frequently with my department, he and his colleagues were asked about who on Earth this guy was...my friend reported that he started laughing and directed his supervisors to the arrest report.  I have certain doubts about his chances of getting an interview...

Well, they might give him an interview just to find out what positive spin he could possibly put on being arrested....but it might be easiest just to circular file (dust bin) his application & resume.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #4629 on: October 15, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »

Well, they might give him an interview just to find out what positive spin he could possibly put on being arrested....but it might be easiest just to circular file (dust bin) his application & resume.

I have it on very good authority that his firing came complete with a "do not rehire" status - actually, he shouldn't have been able to put in an application at all.

HorseFreak

« Reply #4630 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
A woman came into the professional office I work in today to apply for our Experienced Assistant job. This position requires either a 2 year degree in that specific training program OR years of hands-on actual experience. She reeked of smoke and when asked about a resume she looked at the manager and I like we were crazy, said she didn't have one since she got all her "experience" doing things not in her job description at a retail location vaguely related to our field with a very poor reputation. When asked if she could write and bring one in she didn't seem to get it and kept saying she could just tell us everything she knew and did.

As soon as she walked out the door with my manager basically saying, "Don't call us, we'll call you," we exchanged very raised eyebrows and started laughing. In what world do people think that is going to work? I didn't want to spend another second near her.

Unfortunately, we may also have a thief. To get into our place of business you need the security code and a key. Your code depends on your position, but someone came in with the "management" (for lack of a better classification) code at 11 pm when we close around 5 and presumably emptied the envelope of gas money. The manager asked me today if I had taken it for gas or expenses and I told her I hadn't needed to in a couple weeks and I had gotten it directly from her the last few times. If I don't I leave a note or send a text.  None of the likely suspects should know that code or have any reason to be in the office at that time of night. My boss and I are really the only ones who should be. I'm kind of sad it happened and I hope there's a simple explanation since our staff is fantastic.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4631 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
This isn't quite professional Darwinism, just...karmic Darwinism maybe?

I was watching one of those "Border Security" shows about the various agencies that handle goods and people arriving in the country.

This person was being questioned at an airport. Initially, he was selected for secondary screening based on the unusual fact that he had left Home Country 2 years before and been living in Other Country for 2 years and was now asking to enter My Country. His not having a permanent residence anywhere raised some concerns.

After a series of truths, half truths and outright lies, they deduced that:

1) He was not coming to visit as initially stated - he was coming to work - without proper documentation.
2) He had no money. (Well, he had something like $6 in the bank) He had no return ticket to anywhere.
3) He admitted to having a criminal record and said he'd been in jail for "3 or 4 years" - but couldn't tell them when he'd been released. (You'd think that would stick in your mind, no?)
4) The charge he said he'd been jailed for was very serious and pretty much keeps you from entering any other country. Ever.
5) Turns out the charge wasn't from 10 years prior, it was from 2 years prior. The 2 years where he suddenly left Home Country for Other Country.
6) And. to put the cap on it, turns out he'd never been convicted because he'd jumped bail and fled. And was wanted for Very Serious Crime (and flight and probably a host of other stuff).

The nice people at the airport gave him some nice silver bracelets to wear, a free room to stay in and called his Home Country to let them know they'd found Bad Guy.

And to make this all odder was that he let the crew film him. (Participants have to agree to have their transactions filmed.) So even if he got in, his Wanted Self would be all over national TV....
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

VorFemme

« Reply #4632 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »

I was watching one of those "Border Security" shows about the various agencies that handle goods and people arriving in the country.

This person was being questioned at an airport. Initially, he was selected for secondary screening based on the unusual fact that he had left Home Country 2 years before and been living in Other Country for 2 years and was now asking to enter My Country. His not having a permanent residence anywhere raised some concerns.

1) He was not coming to visit as initially stated - he was coming to work - without proper documentation.
2) He had no money. (Well, he had something like $6 in the bank) He had no return ticket to anywhere.
3) He admitted to having a criminal record and said he'd been in jail for "3 or 4 years" - but couldn't tell them when he'd been released. (You'd think that would stick in your mind, no?)
4) The charge he said he'd been jailed for was very serious and pretty much keeps you from entering any other country. Ever.
5) Turns out the charge wasn't from 10 years prior, it was from 2 years prior. The 2 years where he suddenly left Home Country for Other Country.
6) And. to put the cap on it, turns out he'd never been convicted because he'd jumped bail and fled. And was wanted for Very Serious Crime (and flight and probably a host of other stuff).

The nice people at the airport gave him some nice silver bracelets to wear, a free room to stay in and called his Home Country to let them know they'd found Bad Guy.

And to make this all odder was that he let the crew film him. (Participants have to agree to have their transactions filmed.) So even if he got in, his Wanted Self would be all over national TV....

Hey, he got his "fifteen minutes of fame" and on television, too!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4633 on: October 15, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

I haven't watched that show, but apparently one of the security guys is the son of a co-worker (his proud mama was telling everyone :) ). They said this isn't unusual. One of the reasons he loves his job is that every day is different - there are new bizarre people and crazy stories every time. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4634 on: October 15, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Which show is this?  I don't watch much TV, but I'm curious enough to track down an episode or two :)