News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 07:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4285938 times)

AuntieA

• Now a great-Auntie x2!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4650 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
The show "Border Security" is based in Canada? I will have to start watching it, as one of my cousins works for Canada's border agency in the Ottawa area.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

dawnfire

« Reply #4651 on: October 17, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
The show "Border Security" is based in Canada? I will have to start watching it, as one of my cousins works for Canada's border agency in the Ottawa area.

there is a similar show based in Canada "Boarder security:Canada's front line"
Whittlesea Victoria

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4654 on: October 20, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »
He said he's probably not going to take it. And who would?

I've been reading about walmarts  practices and I'm satisfied by the fact hat they'll keep them out if Australia.

dawnfire

Whittlesea Victoria

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4656 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The place I work at is hiring for CNA's and a part time front office staff member.  We have had people coming in dressed properly, courteous, professional.  Then Friday was the girl with her toddler.  She was trying to fill out the application (which is 4 pages long) while trying to corral him.  She put him on her lap where he was throwing everything in her purse on the floor, trying to crumple the application, and when the executive director went up to her and suggested she could come back another day and we would hold onto her partially completed app until then, she said "Well, I don't ever have a babysitter so he goes with me to all interviews"  :o :o :o  I am a single parent who struggles sometimes with the child care thing, but really???  How are you going to get hired if you admit you have no one to watch your child?

MissRose

« Reply #4657 on: October 21, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The place I work at is hiring for CNA's and a part time front office staff member.  We have had people coming in dressed properly, courteous, professional.  Then Friday was the girl with her toddler.  She was trying to fill out the application (which is 4 pages long) while trying to corral him.  She put him on her lap where he was throwing everything in her purse on the floor, trying to crumple the application, and when the executive director went up to her and suggested she could come back another day and we would hold onto her partially completed app until then, she said "Well, I don't ever have a babysitter so he goes with me to all interviews"  :o :o :o  I am a single parent who struggles sometimes with the child care thing, but really???  How are you going to get hired if you admit you have no one to watch your child?

The girl does not even have her own mother or another trusted relative or friend to watch the kid for a short time so she can gain work?  Even my sister knew she had plenty of people to call on to mind her kids for a low cost or none when applying for work in past and/or going to work even if it was my mother.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4658 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
And what is she going to do with the kid once she gets the job?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #4659 on: October 21, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »

That was the thought running through my head as well.

Vita brevis, ars longa

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4660 on: October 21, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
I find it difficult to believe that the girl has no one to watch her child. Also, if this is in the states, the child (age 4) should qualify for free voluntary pre-kindergarten, which is at least 4 hours a day at a preschool.

When I applied and was hired for a information phone bank job, we had at least 3 young mothers come to apply every day and bring their SO or friend and their child. There was a lovely reception area in the lobby with comfortable seating, but they would have to come all the way into our tiny waiting room. Many of them would start working, fill out the paperwork, and disappear after the first paycheck. I learned not to develop friendships at that job, since it was so transient.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

bopper

« Reply #4661 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
Perhaps she will be making money which she could then spend on daycare?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4662 on: October 21, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »
I find it difficult to believe that the girl has no one to watch her child. Also, if this is in the states, the child (age 4) should qualify for free voluntary pre-kindergarten, which is at least 4 hours a day at a preschool.

When I applied and was hired for a information phone bank job, we had at least 3 young mothers come to apply every day and bring their SO or friend and their child. There was a lovely reception area in the lobby with comfortable seating, but they would have to come all the way into our tiny waiting room. Many of them would start working, fill out the paperwork, and disappear after the first paycheck. I learned not to develop friendships at that job, since it was so transient.

At my former company we had people ask the receptionist to watch their kids while they filled out a job application.  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4663 on: October 21, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
Perhaps she will be making money which she could then spend on daycare?

But she's not going to be paid for at least two weeks after she starts.  What is she going to do for that two weeks?  Most daycares want their money upfront.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4664 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »

It sounds to me not so much like she doesn't have one, but rather that she doesn't believe in having one.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca