Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1257833 times)

greencat

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4725 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
I wish my manager would stop letting my coworker get away with, well, not hardly doing anything.  She made a joke about "What would you guys do without me here?" and I couldn't help but think "The same thing we do with you here - since you don't really do much of the work."  I couldn't really come up with a sincere and nice response...I swear she must be blackmailing the management to still have her job.

I'd find it difficult not to answer this way and let the chips fall where they may (basically, to answer, should she ask what that meant -- "Our workload doesn't change whether or not you're here").

Unfortunately, my supervisors weren't in hearing range, so it wouldn't have done anything but start (another) argument.  She does as little as possible, and does most of that badly.  Unfortunately, simple lack of competence is not enough to get her fired, and we're pretty sure she's got dirt on management that leaves them reluctant to insist that she do anything.

SoCalVal

« Reply #4726 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
Speaking of government employees, my father has a coworker who might not be trying to commit PD, but it sure looks odd.

Dad works for Large Government Organization, with a union. Said LGO and union have a VERY generous leave policy. As in, Dad has only been there for eight years and already has six or seven weeks of leave (sick and vacation) he can take every year. I can only imagine what the lifers have. Also, you can roll it over from year to year without issue, and can cash out up to six weeks when you retire as a nice going away present. Like I said, very generous.

Dad has a coworker who has been with the LGO for years longer than Dad. And this coworker uses up all of his sick and vacation time Every Single Year. Okay, that in and of itself isnít so bad. Itís his time, he can do with it what he will. But then he also take a few weeks of unpaid leave. To do things like a Bible camp with his children Ė a vacation, or at least something that can be accounted for a while in advance. This year, he has to have surgery. Itís September, heís already used up all his time. So instead of putting in for that unpaid leave like usual, he asks other employees to donate their time, b/c, you know, this was so unexpected (knee surgery, I think), and he canít handle this much time unpaid.

Dad declined donating time.

Update on this gem.

He's off for his surgery. People have donated time to him so he can continue to be paid. And what does he post to Facebook? How he's going on vacation. I'm sure the union will do nothing.

(I think this might irk dad even more than most b/c he specifically avoided going Out of State with Mom while he was out after knee surgery, not b/c he was physically unable, but b/c he was on workerís comp and didnít want to temp a fraud suit.)

Personally I would demand my donated time back! This will sour everyone on donating ever again and will punish those who truly need the help.

If that happened at my hospital, I think the person would be reported to HR and investigated (and, possibly, not permitted to use the leave donation program again without documented proof of need).

SoCalVal

« Reply #4727 on: October 16, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
Snooks,

It almost sounds like she doesn't want "her little girls" to grow up and leave the nest.  I've met parents like this.  Heck, my beloved BIL would prefer that his daughter's not leave his home until they marry.  The oldest is in her early 30s and the youngest is in her late 20s.  He doesn't charge them anything for room and board, provides cars with insurance to them at no cost (he even pays for the gas), etc.  Plus, he doesn't try to control them with the purse strings, so he's likely to get his wish.  They are smart girls; Why would they leave such a cozy nest?  I can't imagine why a scout leader would not want her scouts to move up to the next level.  Doesn't she have more young girls coming in?  Does she like the older girls more?  How can she lead both her current group of young girls AND an older group of "helpers"?  Does she have no other commitments in her life?  Or is she just an exceedingly controlling person?  If so, I would think the older girls would be happy to move up to the next level with increased independence appropriate to that age group.

Good luck,
MK

I've met a woman who finally moved out of the family home and got a job AFTER her father died (older parents when they had an only child, I think).  Never seriously dated, from what she's said.  She was in her late thirties or early forties when Daddy passed away...no job, no schooling since high school, and no experience in running her own life. 

Makes you want to go back in time and shake some sense into her parents...or encourage her to step out on her own twenty-odd years earlier...

I have a very SS aunt who is in her early- to mid-60s.  She's married, has multiple middle-aged married kids (who live on their own) and multiple grandchildren.  My aunt has been depending upon my grandmother financially up until my grandmother died two years ago.  In fact, since she's controlling the estate (different country), there's a good chance she's still siphoning off grandma's finances (big family so all the money isn't meant for my aunt).  Aunt and Uncle have always lived a lifestyle they could not afford so she's always run to "Mommy" for financial assistance.  Grandma, big heart that she has, has always helped her out.  Don't know what Aunt's going to do once the money runs out since I know no one else in the family is going to help her (she's a horrible, entitled person)...well, maybe her one son who is even worse than her and who she has enabled his whole life will help her (doubtful since he's an SS also).  Don't know where this comes from because none of the rest of her many MANY siblings are like this (her other kids aren't like this either).

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4728 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
I wish my manager would stop letting my coworker get away with, well, not hardly doing anything.  She made a joke about "What would you guys do without me here?" and I couldn't help but think "The same thing we do with you here - since you don't really do much of the work."  I couldn't really come up with a sincere and nice response...I swear she must be blackmailing the management to still have her job.

I'd find it difficult not to answer this way and let the chips fall where they may (basically, to answer, should she ask what that meant -- "Our workload doesn't change whether or not you're here").

Unfortunately, my supervisors weren't in hearing range, so it wouldn't have done anything but start (another) argument.  She does as little as possible, and does most of that badly.  Unfortunately, simple lack of competence is not enough to get her fired, and we're pretty sure she's got dirt on management that leaves them reluctant to insist that she do anything.

There was a Not Always Working incident where a lousy waitress was the daughter of the restaurant's owner - your work shirking co-irker might not be the one with "dirt" on management - she could be related to a former employee or ex-lover with enough dirt to make them think twice about firing her, though.

I did learn that the waitress sleeping with dating the manager didn't get talked to for not taking glasses to a table with a pitcher of soda & getting the pizza to us after it got really cold - because I (off duty waitress) got called to the phone and lambasted for yelling at her. 

#1 - I hadn't said a thing to her other than "pitcher of Coke & three glasses" while the guys picked the pizza.  But I caught heck for what they said to her...

#2 - I got fired when I came in the next day for my next work shift (she was giving me both the evil eye and a grin that was enough to make me wonder what was coming to bite me & where).

#3 - I had told the guys that I did NOT want to eat pizza - I worked there and I was tired of Italian.  I wanted "something else" - but they wanted pizza & it was after lunch & before dinner, so the place would be quiet enough to visit. 

I didn't know it was PD to go to work and eat when a shirker was there and didn't want to WORK because, apparently, I was supposed to turn in the order, get our drinks, and pick up the pizza when it was done MYSELF instead of interrupting her flirting with the new cook (manager wasn't there that shift). 

I didn't eat at that location again for about five or six years...living in another state did help make it easier to avoid - but the ILs lived close to that Pizza Hut.  Fortunately, they preferred Shakey's Pizza Place!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

greencat

« Reply #4729 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

There was a Not Always Working incident where a lousy waitress was the daughter of the restaurant's owner - your work shirking co-irker might not be the one with "dirt" on management - she could be related to a former employee or ex-lover with enough dirt to make them think twice about firing her, though.

I did learn that the waitress sleeping with dating the manager didn't get talked to for not taking glasses to a table with a pitcher of soda & getting the pizza to us after it got really cold - because I (off duty waitress) got called to the phone and lambasted for yelling at her. 

#1 - I hadn't said a thing to her other than "pitcher of Coke & three glasses" while the guys picked the pizza.  But I caught heck for what they said to her...

#2 - I got fired when I came in the next day for my next work shift (she was giving me both the evil eye and a grin that was enough to make me wonder what was coming to bite me & where).

#3 - I had told the guys that I did NOT want to eat pizza - I worked there and I was tired of Italian.  I wanted "something else" - but they wanted pizza & it was after lunch & before dinner, so the place would be quiet enough to visit. 

I didn't know it was PD to go to work and eat when a shirker was there and didn't want to WORK because, apparently, I was supposed to turn in the order, get our drinks, and pick up the pizza when it was done MYSELF instead of interrupting her flirting with the new cook (manager wasn't there that shift). 

I didn't eat at that location again for about five or six years...living in another state did help make it easier to avoid - but the ILs lived close to that Pizza Hut.  Fortunately, they preferred Shakey's Pizza Place!

I know for a fact that she's not related to anyone that works there, and I doubt she's playing scrabble with anyone in a management position there - however, I do know she has some, uh, interesting information, about a manager in another department's personal life because she told me.  It's not inconceivable that she has similar interesting information about people who are in a position to do something about her work ethic.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #4730 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
The show "Border Security" is based in Canada? I will have to start watching it, as one of my cousins works for Canada's border agency in the Ottawa area.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

dawnfire

« Reply #4731 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
The show "Border Security" is based in Canada? I will have to start watching it, as one of my cousins works for Canada's border agency in the Ottawa area.

there is a similar show based in Canada "Boarder security:Canada's front line"

Katana_Geldar

Jocelyn

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4734 on: October 20, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
He said he's probably not going to take it. And who would?

I've been reading about walmarts  practices and I'm satisfied by the fact hat they'll keep them out if Australia.

dawnfire

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4736 on: October 21, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The place I work at is hiring for CNA's and a part time front office staff member.  We have had people coming in dressed properly, courteous, professional.  Then Friday was the girl with her toddler.  She was trying to fill out the application (which is 4 pages long) while trying to corral him.  She put him on her lap where he was throwing everything in her purse on the floor, trying to crumple the application, and when the executive director went up to her and suggested she could come back another day and we would hold onto her partially completed app until then, she said "Well, I don't ever have a babysitter so he goes with me to all interviews"  :o :o :o  I am a single parent who struggles sometimes with the child care thing, but really???  How are you going to get hired if you admit you have no one to watch your child?

MissRose

« Reply #4737 on: October 21, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The place I work at is hiring for CNA's and a part time front office staff member.  We have had people coming in dressed properly, courteous, professional.  Then Friday was the girl with her toddler.  She was trying to fill out the application (which is 4 pages long) while trying to corral him.  She put him on her lap where he was throwing everything in her purse on the floor, trying to crumple the application, and when the executive director went up to her and suggested she could come back another day and we would hold onto her partially completed app until then, she said "Well, I don't ever have a babysitter so he goes with me to all interviews"  :o :o :o  I am a single parent who struggles sometimes with the child care thing, but really???  How are you going to get hired if you admit you have no one to watch your child?

The girl does not even have her own mother or another trusted relative or friend to watch the kid for a short time so she can gain work?  Even my sister knew she had plenty of people to call on to mind her kids for a low cost or none when applying for work in past and/or going to work even if it was my mother.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4738 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
And what is she going to do with the kid once she gets the job?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #4739 on: October 21, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
And what is she going to do with the kid once she gets the job?

That was the thought running through my head as well.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."