Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1082144 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4740 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
I find it difficult to believe that the girl has no one to watch her child. Also, if this is in the states, the child (age 4) should qualify for free voluntary pre-kindergarten, which is at least 4 hours a day at a preschool.

When I applied and was hired for a information phone bank job, we had at least 3 young mothers come to apply every day and bring their SO or friend and their child. There was a lovely reception area in the lobby with comfortable seating, but they would have to come all the way into our tiny waiting room. Many of them would start working, fill out the paperwork, and disappear after the first paycheck. I learned not to develop friendships at that job, since it was so transient.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4741 on: October 21, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
And what is she going to do with the kid once she gets the job?
Perhaps she will be making money which she could then spend on daycare?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4742 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »
I find it difficult to believe that the girl has no one to watch her child. Also, if this is in the states, the child (age 4) should qualify for free voluntary pre-kindergarten, which is at least 4 hours a day at a preschool.

When I applied and was hired for a information phone bank job, we had at least 3 young mothers come to apply every day and bring their SO or friend and their child. There was a lovely reception area in the lobby with comfortable seating, but they would have to come all the way into our tiny waiting room. Many of them would start working, fill out the paperwork, and disappear after the first paycheck. I learned not to develop friendships at that job, since it was so transient.

At my former company we had people ask the receptionist to watch their kids while they filled out a job application.  ::)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4743 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »

But she's not going to be paid for at least two weeks after she starts.  What is she going to do for that two weeks?  Most daycares want their money upfront.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4744 on: October 21, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
Potential Professional Darwinism.  The place I work at is hiring for CNA's and a part time front office staff member.  We have had people coming in dressed properly, courteous, professional.  Then Friday was the girl with her toddler.  She was trying to fill out the application (which is 4 pages long) while trying to corral him.  She put him on her lap where he was throwing everything in her purse on the floor, trying to crumple the application, and when the executive director went up to her and suggested she could come back another day and we would hold onto her partially completed app until then, she said "Well, I don't ever have a babysitter so he goes with me to all interviews"  :o :o :o  I am a single parent who struggles sometimes with the child care thing, but really???  How are you going to get hired if you admit you have no one to watch your child?

It sounds to me not so much like she doesn't have one, but rather that she doesn't believe in having one.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

nuit93

« Reply #4745 on: October 21, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »

Assuming she makes enough to afford daycare.  It's expensive.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4746 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »
In the US, as I posted above, voluntary pre-kindergarten is free. Half day programs exist in most communities and that should be an option for her.

nuit93

« Reply #4747 on: October 21, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
In the US, as I posted above, voluntary pre-kindergarten is free. Half day programs exist in most communities and that should be an option for her.

The child was a toddler, I assumed that meant in the 1-3 years old range.

daisy1679

« Reply #4748 on: October 21, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Walmart commits PD by tiring a man who was helping a woman.

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/us-man-kristopher-oswald-fired-from-walmart-store-for-aiding-parking-lot-assault-victim/story-e6frfm9r-1226743505970
He was offered his job back yesterday.

I'm sure some other company will offer him a better job.

This is my local Walmart, I just started shopping there again after a six month break because they're such jerks. I decided after reading this story yesterday to make this break a permanent one. Most of the people I know around here feel the same way. Especially when I compare them to the Meijer across the street and Kroger & Target just down the road, where the employees are always friendly and helpful.

CuriousParty

« Reply #4749 on: October 21, 2013, 01:09:39 PM »

Actually, the availability of public pre-k varies by state and, I believe in some states, by school district. To say nothing of the availability of transportation to such a program, if available, or home mid-day when an adult hopes to be working. My state, for instance, does not have public pre-k. 

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4750 on: October 21, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

Actually, the availability of public pre-k varies by state and, I believe in some states, by school district. To say nothing of the availability of transportation to such a program, if available, or home mid-day when an adult hopes to be working. My state, for instance, does not have public pre-k.

Yes, it's definitely not universal. My county offers it, but only to those below a certain income threshold.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4751 on: October 21, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
Enough with the daycare / pre-k tangent.  Move on, please.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4752 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »
Well, to send her to number 1 on Darwin's list, for state aid or unemployment, you are required to job search for at least 30 hours a week, they give you a weekly log to fill out and any places you apply/interview with have to sign the log.  Then (and at my last job I used to get these calls) they do random samplings and call to see if you really did apply/interview.  Free daycare at the day care of your choice (that accepts subsidies) is provided.  This child was about 15 months old.  They give a certain amount of 'amnesty' for extenuating circumstances (unemployment granted me my 30 hours time when my father passed for 2 weeks, but the funny thing was I applied for my current job 2 days before his passing and was interviewed and hired 4 days after his passing), so if her daycare was closed or the child was sick, she could have been granted an exception that week.  I think she just doesn't want a job, but as there are time limits for both forms of cash benefits, she better wise up, get that kid in a daycare and get a job, and we are hurting for staff in a very important division right now.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4753 on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
There was a major marathon in San Francisco last week. There was a 6:30 AM start, but race officials began blaring music & announcements at 5:30. Nearby residents were not amused and called the city hot line to complain. The hot line referred them to the official race phone number.

Here's where the Darwinism comes in. Whoever looked up the number and gave it to city phone staff didn't verify the accuracy of the number. People were told to call (800) 555-5555*. When they did a woman suggested that the caller prepare for scrabble. See, the real number was (888) 555-5555. The 800 number was a phone line for scrabble players.

S.F. directs Nike Marathon complaints to a [scrabble] line. 

* bogus number.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4754 on: October 22, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Oops.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls