News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 07:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4289876 times)

nuit93

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4665 on: October 21, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
And what is she going to do with the kid once she gets the job?
Perhaps she will be making money which she could then spend on daycare?

Assuming she makes enough to afford daycare.  It's expensive.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4666 on: October 21, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
In the US, as I posted above, voluntary pre-kindergarten is free. Half day programs exist in most communities and that should be an option for her.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

nuit93

« Reply #4667 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
In the US, as I posted above, voluntary pre-kindergarten is free. Half day programs exist in most communities and that should be an option for her.

The child was a toddler, I assumed that meant in the 1-3 years old range.

daisy1679

« Reply #4668 on: October 21, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
Walmart commits PD by tiring a man who was helping a woman.

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/us-man-kristopher-oswald-fired-from-walmart-store-for-aiding-parking-lot-assault-victim/story-e6frfm9r-1226743505970
He was offered his job back yesterday.

I'm sure some other company will offer him a better job.

This is my local Walmart, I just started shopping there again after a six month break because they're such jerks. I decided after reading this story yesterday to make this break a permanent one. Most of the people I know around here feel the same way. Especially when I compare them to the Meijer across the street and Kroger & Target just down the road, where the employees are always friendly and helpful.

CuriousParty

« Reply #4669 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »

Actually, the availability of public pre-k varies by state and, I believe in some states, by school district. To say nothing of the availability of transportation to such a program, if available, or home mid-day when an adult hopes to be working. My state, for instance, does not have public pre-k. 

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4670 on: October 21, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »

Actually, the availability of public pre-k varies by state and, I believe in some states, by school district. To say nothing of the availability of transportation to such a program, if available, or home mid-day when an adult hopes to be working. My state, for instance, does not have public pre-k.

Yes, it's definitely not universal. My county offers it, but only to those below a certain income threshold.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4671 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
Enough with the daycare / pre-k tangent.  Move on, please.
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4672 on: October 22, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
Well, to send her to number 1 on Darwin's list, for state aid or unemployment, you are required to job search for at least 30 hours a week, they give you a weekly log to fill out and any places you apply/interview with have to sign the log.  Then (and at my last job I used to get these calls) they do random samplings and call to see if you really did apply/interview.  Free daycare at the day care of your choice (that accepts subsidies) is provided.  This child was about 15 months old.  They give a certain amount of 'amnesty' for extenuating circumstances (unemployment granted me my 30 hours time when my father passed for 2 weeks, but the funny thing was I applied for my current job 2 days before his passing and was interviewed and hired 4 days after his passing), so if her daycare was closed or the child was sick, she could have been granted an exception that week.  I think she just doesn't want a job, but as there are time limits for both forms of cash benefits, she better wise up, get that kid in a daycare and get a job, and we are hurting for staff in a very important division right now.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4673 on: October 22, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
There was a major marathon in San Francisco last week. There was a 6:30 AM start, but race officials began blaring music & announcements at 5:30. Nearby residents were not amused and called the city hot line to complain. The hot line referred them to the official race phone number.

Here's where the Darwinism comes in. Whoever looked up the number and gave it to city phone staff didn't verify the accuracy of the number. People were told to call (800) 555-5555*. When they did a woman suggested that the caller prepare for scrabble. See, the real number was (888) 555-5555. The 800 number was a phone line for scrabble players.

S.F. directs Nike Marathon complaints to a [scrabble] line. 

* bogus number.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #4674 on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Oops.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rose red

« Reply #4675 on: October 22, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
Oh my!  The same thing happened at my place of work.  This guy, who was sort of OK when simply following orders, got promoted and one of his first jobs was was in charge of envelope inserts.  He made, approved, and printed thousands of fliers with 800 instead of our 888 number (yes, 800 was a scrabble line.)  It wasn't even the loss of money on the fliers that was bad, but the fact they went out.  I know the guy so I wasn't actually surprised.  Nice guy, but he coasted on charm and big talk rather than boring stuff such as details and it finally caught up with him.  At least it made the higher-ups start to realise what the rest of us already knew.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:22:03 PM by rose red »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4676 on: October 22, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
Walt Disney World printed 800-WDW-DINE on brochures for dining reservations.

That was a phone scrabble line.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4677 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
I think a couple guys committed it this morning.

I was called in for a job interview.  I was there early, as was a man.  Another man was actually in with the interviewer when the interviewer got a call that his son was being taken to the hospital in anaphylactic shock.  The interviewed pretty much dropped everything on the receptionist's desk and ran for the parking garage.  That's actually how we know what happened, he barely even slowed down as he was passing her desk to say 'JakehadanallergicreactionImgoingtohospitalnow'.

My response was to say that I hoped his son was okay, of course I understood, he could call me back to reschedule later and I'm so sorry his son was injured.

The response of the two guys?  Ranting about how unprofessional it was for a man to prioritize a life-threatening injury to his child over his work and how upset they were he'd wasted their time and made them drive all that way for nothing.

If looks could kill, the receptionist would have smote them both on the spot.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4678 on: October 22, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
I think those guys may have lost the job and you may be in, a lost of companies ask the receptionist for her impressions of the interviewees.

nuit93

« Reply #4679 on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
I think you just got yourself a job! (or you would if it were up to me)