Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1294399 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4770 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »
In the news where I live, a teacher took three of his high school students to have their... um...  gentleman's tackle pierced. Then he got his own... tackle pierced, in front of the students. Then he gave them... er... "tackle" shaped pasta. And he was fired for this.

I'm just.. what... how.. why... WHAT?!!
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4771 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
In the news where I live, a teacher took three of his high school students to have their... um...  gentleman's tackle pierced. Then he got his own... tackle pierced, in front of the students. Then he gave them... er... "tackle" shaped pasta. And he was fired for this.

Talk about not using your brain that day at all...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrTango

« Reply #4772 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »

There's an old saying about this.  "Men were given a brain and [tackle], but only enough blood to use one at a time."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4773 on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »

There's an old saying about this.  "Men were given a brain and [tackle], but only enough blood to use one at a time."

Sometimes I wonder if any of them want to use their brain if the [tackle] might miss an opportunity - it would explain a lot of foolish choices I've read about in my various case histories in classes over the years...and even a couple of car accidents that I heard about in training for an insurance adjuster job...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

mmswm

« Reply #4774 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:20 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if any of them want to use their brain if the [tackle] might miss an opportunity - it would explain a lot of foolish choices I've read about in my various case histories in classes over the years...and even a couple of car accidents that I heard about in training for an insurance adjuster job...

Per the bolded: A few months ago I went along on a run with the man I was dating at the time, who's a truck driver.  The view from the cab of a semi is, um, interesting, at times.  I was surprised how often I saw certain types of scrabble games going on in the 4wheelers around us.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4775 on: October 31, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »
I got curious about the teacher involved in the piercing & looked it up. The teacher will not be criminally charged. "While the investigating panel did look at the possibility of laying criminal charges against the teacher, a decision was taken not to pursue this avenue as the case would not be winnable."

Besides that story, I found another one from York, Pennsylvania.

A teacher was charged with endangering the welfare of children and the corruption of minors  for "having her ear pierced by a ninth-grader during class, then letting that student pierce a classmate's navel, according to police." The school district issued a prss release "The administration was made aware of the April 16 piercing incident just moments after its occurrence. We immediately began an investigation and during that investigation the teacher was not permitted to return to the classroom." They later "accepted her resignation."

The incident happened last April, but criminal charges were not filed until June, after an investigation. It doesn't look like the case has yet gone to court.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Cherry91

« Reply #4776 on: October 31, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
A male art teacher at my old school lead a small school trip to Amsterdam and...

(you can all guess the direction this is going, can't you?)

...and decided an appropriate evening activity would be a trip to a local business... one where ladies are paid to dance and take their clothes off. Yes, he took a group of 15 years old boys to a strip club.

The trip was in the first week of the Easter holidays. One of the boys told their parents and they called the school. After Easter, we were simply told that Art Teacher was retiring effective immediately, but of course the news quickly got out.

Art Teacher's lucky he didn't end up on the Sex Offenders Register, considering that most of the boys he took to the club were underage... (age of consent in the UK is 16)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4777 on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
I am not sure if this is PD or what, but being in the middle of it is getting annoying.

There is an agency we work with that makes "cookies" for us.

We feed these cookies to other departments in the agency, other agencies and a host of other people.

Sometimes we have to ask for the cookie to be changed -maybe it needs more icing, or less chocolate. Maybe we have to replace it with oatmeal raisin.
So I spend a lot of time swapping cookie recipes with this agency.

Lately, they have a new staff of bakers and things are getting...interesting.

I've sent in routine orders and gotten answers like:

"You need to get the recipe right the first time. This is too much work."
(Ummm....recipe changes come from the Master Baker, or from other Big Heads. Your job is to make them whatever cookies they need.)

"We don't know where your cookie is and we're not going to look for it. You have to wait until it shows up."
(But....it's two weeks late. And the Head Baker wants it.)

"If you change the recipe, we won't give you a new cookie. You'll have to make the changes on the one you have and use that one."
(I'm sure the delivery staff, and the cashier will be happy when they realize they don't know what cookies to deliver or charge for!)

So when the Master Baker and Chief Chef ask me about where the cookies are and why do we have the wrong batch, I just send them a copy of the order and all the responses I've gotten to my questions.

I am told there is going to be a meeting soon to discuss baking procedures.
I sure hope so!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:55:00 PM by White Dragon »

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4778 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
My sister works with a woman we'll call Marsha. Marsha has decided out of the blue recently that she hates my sister, its okay to talk snotty to her and to attempt to get her fired. My sister had no problem with Marsha until all that behavior started. So this lead up to a new problem. Everyone in their branch of the company was going to dress in a particular theme for Halloween (while at work). Marsha randomly came up to my sister and snapped "You're way too excited about this. It must be nice to have time to waste on stupid things, but I have a life, a husband, a kid, a job and a fridge to clean. I don't have time to waste on stupid things like this."  ??? This did not refer to the company fridge, btw

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4779 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
My sister works with a woman we'll call Marsha. Marsha has decided out of the blue recently that she hates my sister, its okay to talk snotty to her and to attempt to get her fired. My sister had no problem with Marsha until all that behavior started. So this lead up to a new problem. Everyone in their branch of the company was going to dress in a particular theme for Halloween (while at work). Marsha randomly came up to my sister and snapped "You're way too excited about this. It must be nice to have time to waste on stupid things, but I have a life, a husband, a kid, a job and a fridge to clean. I don't have time to waste on stupid things like this."  ??? This did not refer to the company fridge, btw

I am so stealing this whenever I am too busy!  LOL!  "Jayhawk, could you please send me that report?"  "Are you kidding? I HAVE A FRIDGE TO CLEAN!"

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #4780 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
I am not sure if this is PD or what, but being in the middle of it is getting annoying.

We feed these cookies to other departments in the agency, other agencies and a host of other people.

Sometimes we have to ask for the cookie to be changed -maybe it needs more icing, or less chocolate. Maybe we have to replace it with oatmeal raisin.

(Ummm....recipe changes come from the Master Baker, or from other Big Heads. Your job is to make them whatever cookies they need.)

"We don't know where your cookie is and we're not going to look for it. You have to wait until it shows up."

"If you change the recipe, we won't give you a new cookie. You'll have to make the changes on the one you have and use that one."
(I'm sure the delivery staff, and the cashier will be happy when they realize they don't know what cookies to deliver or charge for!)

So when the Master Baker and Chief Chef ask me about where the cookies are and why do was have the wrong batch, I just send them a copy of the order and all the responses I've gotten to my questions.

I sure hope so!

Now I want cookies.   ??? ::) ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4781 on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »

So when the Master Baker and Chief Chef ask me about where the cookies are and why do was have the wrong batch, I just send them a copy of the order and all the responses I've gotten to my questions.

I sure hope so!

Me too, and could you add more frosting and more chocolate?

Are all of the responses from the same baker or is the whole kitchen falling on their spatula?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4782 on: October 31, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

I sure hope so!

Are all of the responses from the same baker or is the whole kitchen falling on their spatula?

But will they be onion chip cookies?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4783 on: October 31, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

I sure hope so!

They are pretty much all from the same baker, but I think he is speaking for the whole bag of nuts because he uses "we" a lot.
So either he is speaking for the group or speaking from the throne. (The royal kind, not the other kind...)

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4784 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »

I sure hope so!

They are pretty much all from the same baker, but I think he is speaking for the whole bag of nuts because he uses "we" a lot.
So either he is speaking for the group or speaking from the throne. (The royal kind, not the other kind...)
Or he could be imagining that he is speaking for the group, without actually being anointed by the watery tart who throws swords.  >:D
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams