Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1368109 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4815 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
This isn't quite professional Darwinism, just...karmic Darwinism maybe?

I was watching one of those "Border Security" shows about the various agencies that handle goods and people arriving in the country.

This person was being questioned at an airport. Initially, he was selected for secondary screening based on the unusual fact that he had left Home Country 2 years before and been living in Other Country for 2 years and was now asking to enter My Country. His not having a permanent residence anywhere raised some concerns.

After a series of truths, half truths and outright lies, they deduced that:

1) He was not coming to visit as initially stated - he was coming to work - without proper documentation.
2) He had no money. (Well, he had something like $6 in the bank) He had no return ticket to anywhere.
3) He admitted to having a criminal record and said he'd been in jail for "3 or 4 years" - but couldn't tell them when he'd been released. (You'd think that would stick in your mind, no?)
4) The charge he said he'd been jailed for was very serious and pretty much keeps you from entering any other country. Ever.
5) Turns out the charge wasn't from 10 years prior, it was from 2 years prior. The 2 years where he suddenly left Home Country for Other Country.
6) And. to put the cap on it, turns out he'd never been convicted because he'd jumped bail and fled. And was wanted for Very Serious Crime (and flight and probably a host of other stuff).

The nice people at the airport gave him some nice silver bracelets to wear, a free room to stay in and called his Home Country to let them know they'd found Bad Guy.

And to make this all odder was that he let the crew film him. (Participants have to agree to have their transactions filmed.) So even if he got in, his Wanted Self would be all over national TV....

I haven't watched that show, but apparently one of the security guys is the son of a co-worker (his proud mama was telling everyone :) ). They said this isn't unusual. One of the reasons he loves his job is that every day is different - there are new bizarre people and crazy stories every time. ;D

I can only imagine. I have a relative who used to work for INS before it morphed into ICE. In a detention center in a city known for a high number of shall we say, illegal entries into the US. He said it was never a dull moment!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4816 on: November 04, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
We can add to this list the Michigan girl who dressed as an injured Boston Marathon bombing victim for Halloween. She said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because she wasn't dressed as somebody dead or with limbs hanging off  ??? She lost her job because of this

Hillia

« Reply #4817 on: November 04, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
On a similar note, the mom who sent her 7 year old out in a KKK costume.  It's OK, because his uncle wore a similar costume previously.  The kid thinks it's 'cool'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PeterM

« Reply #4818 on: November 04, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
We can add to this list the Michigan girl who dressed as an injured Boston Marathon bombing victim for Halloween. She said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because she wasn't dressed as somebody dead or with limbs hanging off  ??? She lost her job because of this

See, I don't think that's nearly offensive enough to fire someone over. If the reason was closer to "I don't want anyone dumb enough to think that was a good idea working for me," though, I have no problem at all with the decision. Yeesh.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4819 on: November 04, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »

See, I don't think that's nearly offensive enough to fire someone over. If the reason was closer to "I don't want anyone dumb enough to think that was a good idea working for me," though, I have no problem at all with the decision. Yeesh.

What if she had dressed as a 9-11 survivor, say an injured firefighter ?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4820 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
I remember after Steve Irwin died and there were Halloween costumes that included stingray tails.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4821 on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #4822 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »

Or the guys who dressed as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, including blackface. What goes through peoples' minds?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4823 on: November 05, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »

Or the guys who dressed as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, including blackface. What goes through peoples' minds?

They've learned that being "edgy" and "pushing the envelope" is what it's all about. That's what popular culture tells us, anyway - offensive is cool. They don't tell you that it only works if you're a celebrity.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EmmaJ.

« Reply #4824 on: November 05, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
On a similar note, the mom who sent her 7 year old out in a KKK costume.  It's OK, because his uncle wore a similar costume previously.  The kid thinks it's 'cool'.

Oh no.....  >:(  :o

Sebastienne

« Reply #4825 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

Oh no.....  >:(  :o

Yes... Ironically, their last name is Black. http://gawker.com/mom-defends-dressing-up-son-as-kkk-member-for-halloween-1458027272

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4826 on: November 05, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »

They've learned that being "edgy" and "pushing the envelope" is what it's all about. That's what popular culture tells us, anyway - offensive is cool. They don't tell you that it only works if you're a celebrity.

And sometimes, not even then.

There's "edgy" and then there is 100% pure tasteless.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

goldilocks

« Reply #4827 on: November 05, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
I remember after Steve Irwin died and there were Halloween costumes that included stingray tails.

I always felt that Steve would have loved this.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4828 on: November 05, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
We've recently lost the BEST custodial staff member we have ever had.  The guy cleaned everything every day, scrubbed down tables, vacuumed, washed, wiped...name it and it was done. And he committed PD TWICE.

First time around, he lied about having a commercial driver's license which is required to drive the van.  He got the license and reapplied for the same job and got it because he had, otherwise, been an excellent worker.

Unfortunately, I guess the salary wasn't enough.

Money started going missing at all desks all over the building.  We keep $$$ so we can make change for people (we really need to buy a change machine).  Then money was disappearing all over the library system at all five branches.

We thought it was Other Custodian who is not a particularly energetic worker (under his supervision, we kept track of how long coffee stains were on the stairs and started naming the dust bunnies) and who was very vocal about how he needed cash.

However, good worker was fired when they caught him on the security camera at a branch:  not only is he shown taking the money, he is also shown trying to disable the camera afterwards.....yeah, I hate to say it, but I would almost rather have him back and stealing...the place is absolutely filthy again.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4829 on: November 05, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

And sometimes, not even then.

There's "edgy" and then there is 100% pure tasteless.

Well, that's it - you have to know how to balance on that line. Unfortunately, there is a lot of entertainment out there that also does not seem to know that fine balance.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."