News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 11:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4291078 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4740 on: November 05, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4741 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
We can add to this list the Michigan girl who dressed as an injured Boston Marathon bombing victim for Halloween. She said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because she wasn't dressed as somebody dead or with limbs hanging off  ??? She lost her job because of this

Or the guys who dressed as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, including blackface. What goes through peoples' minds?

Twik

« Reply #4742 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
We can add to this list the Michigan girl who dressed as an injured Boston Marathon bombing victim for Halloween. She said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because she wasn't dressed as somebody dead or with limbs hanging off  ??? She lost her job because of this

Or the guys who dressed as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, including blackface. What goes through peoples' minds?

They've learned that being "edgy" and "pushing the envelope" is what it's all about. That's what popular culture tells us, anyway - offensive is cool. They don't tell you that it only works if you're a celebrity.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

EmmaJ.

« Reply #4743 on: November 05, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
On a similar note, the mom who sent her 7 year old out in a KKK costume.  It's OK, because his uncle wore a similar costume previously.  The kid thinks it's 'cool'.

Oh no.....  >:(  :o

Sebastienne

« Reply #4744 on: November 05, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »
On a similar note, the mom who sent her 7 year old out in a KKK costume.  It's OK, because his uncle wore a similar costume previously.  The kid thinks it's 'cool'.

Oh no.....  >:(  :o

Yes... Ironically, their last name is Black. http://gawker.com/mom-defends-dressing-up-son-as-kkk-member-for-halloween-1458027272

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4745 on: November 05, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »

They've learned that being "edgy" and "pushing the envelope" is what it's all about. That's what popular culture tells us, anyway - offensive is cool. They don't tell you that it only works if you're a celebrity.

And sometimes, not even then.

There's "edgy" and then there is 100% pure tasteless.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

goldilocks

« Reply #4746 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
I remember after Steve Irwin died and there were Halloween costumes that included stingray tails.

I always felt that Steve would have loved this.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4747 on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
We've recently lost the BEST custodial staff member we have ever had.  The guy cleaned everything every day, scrubbed down tables, vacuumed, washed, wiped...name it and it was done. And he committed PD TWICE.

First time around, he lied about having a commercial driver's license which is required to drive the van.  He got the license and reapplied for the same job and got it because he had, otherwise, been an excellent worker.

Unfortunately, I guess the salary wasn't enough.

Money started going missing at all desks all over the building.  We keep $$$ so we can make change for people (we really need to buy a change machine).  Then money was disappearing all over the library system at all five branches.

We thought it was Other Custodian who is not a particularly energetic worker (under his supervision, we kept track of how long coffee stains were on the stairs and started naming the dust bunnies) and who was very vocal about how he needed cash.

However, good worker was fired when they caught him on the security camera at a branch:  not only is he shown taking the money, he is also shown trying to disable the camera afterwards.....yeah, I hate to say it, but I would almost rather have him back and stealing...the place is absolutely filthy again.

Twik

« Reply #4748 on: November 05, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »

Well, that's it - you have to know how to balance on that line. Unfortunately, there is a lot of entertainment out there that also does not seem to know that fine balance.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #4749 on: November 05, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »

Well, that's it - you have to know how to balance on that line. Unfortunately, there is a lot of entertainment out there that also does not seem to know that fine balance.

Yup.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20749699,00.html

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/10/29/laverne-cox-julianne-hough-blackface/

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #4750 on: November 05, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4751 on: November 05, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
One of my friends had an  'Allo  'Allo themed party where there were guests as Nazis, including me. It was all good fun though, I don't think there were any swashiskas.

Melxb

« Reply #4752 on: November 05, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
I have mo idea what an 'Allo 'Allo party is but any party that is themed Nazi and where you all dress up as Nazis is just wrong on every single level.
 I just looked it up. Doesn't change my opinion of the party.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:32:31 PM by Melxb »

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #4753 on: November 05, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
For anyone who wants to know, it's a show that's set up in Nazi-occupied France. Here's the wiki for it
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:35:25 PM by cabbagegirl28 »

Vita brevis, ars longa

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4754 on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
We were all playing characters from the show, not just the Germans but French and we had an amazing guy as Colonel Bertorelli.

As far as I know, no one objected to it and we all had a lot of fun.