News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 12:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4292037 times)

Sophia

• xi
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4770 on: November 06, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
What is wrong with Mr. T? 
I never watched the show but I old enough to have.  I remember they were all good guys, doing good things. 

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4771 on: November 06, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
The guy who dressed up wasn't black but used makeup to darken his skin.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #4772 on: November 06, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
The guy who dressed up wasn't black but used makeup to darken his skin.
*headdesk*

gollymolly2

« Reply #4773 on: November 06, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
So he wasn't fired for dressing as Mr. T, he was fired for wearing blackface. I feel like if you don't have the good judgment not to wear controversial costumes to your job, you probably don't have the judgment to stay employed.

Twik

« Reply #4774 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »
7 of the Worst Resumés Ever

Listing a previous job as "Marijuana dealer & nefarious dude," for example, may not be a good career move. Says the article, "Let this be a reminder that you don't have to include every job you've ever had."

I have some sneaking sympathy for the no-longer-nefarious dude. His resume says, post nefariousness, he "got himself right", and had been so for many years.

I would admit that running a profitable drug operation would give you many transferable skills, as long as you didn't transfer the attitude towards legal compliance along with it.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #4775 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Another one bites the dust: The Washington Times Fires Rand Paul for Plagiarizing Column

Last week, Politico and MSNBC reported that some of Paul's speeches included plagiarized passages from the Wikipedia pages of Gattaca and Stand and Deliver, as well as language from Associated Press articles. And this past weekend, BuzzFeed reported that Paul copied at least three pages of his 2013 book, Government Bullies, from a 2003 Heritage Foundation study.

Head, meet desk.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #4776 on: November 06, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »
Another one bites the dust: The Washington Times Fires Rand Paul for Plagiarizing Column

Last week, Politico and MSNBC reported that some of Paul's speeches included plagiarized passages from the Wikipedia pages of Gattaca and Stand and Deliver, as well as language from Associated Press articles. And this past weekend, BuzzFeed reported that Paul copied at least three pages of his 2013 book, Government Bullies, from a 2003 Heritage Foundation study.

Head, meet desk.
AP is going to nail his behind to a wall.  They feel that there is no such thing as "fair use"; they won't even let you quote a snippet of one of their stories on a forum or in a blog, or put a link to one of their stories.  They will allow you to do it IF you pay for the use of the whole article, at $2.50 per word
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Hillia

« Reply #4777 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

Head, meet desk.
AP is going to nail his behind to a wall.  They feel that there is no such thing as "fair use"; they won't even let you quote a snippet of one of their stories on a forum or in a blog, or put a link to one of their stories.  They will allow you to do it IF you pay for the use of the whole article, at $2.50 per word.

But of course, he's being targeted by 'hacks and haters', and he would like to legally murder them (aka duel) for slandering his good name, just like in the good old days:
http://gawker.com/rand-paul-plagiarized-3-pages-of-his-book-wants-to-sho-1458063394

nuit93

« Reply #4778 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
7 of the Worst Resumés Ever

Listing a previous job as "Marijuana dealer & nefarious dude," for example, may not be a good career move. Says the article, "Let this be a reminder that you don't have to include every job you've ever had."

I have some sneaking sympathy for the no-longer-nefarious dude. His resume says, post nefariousness, he "got himself right", and had been so for many years.

I would admit that running a profitable drug operation would give you many transferable skills, as long as you didn't transfer the attitude towards legal compliance along with it.

Been watching Breaking Bad lately? ;)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #4779 on: November 06, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

Head, meet desk.
AP is going to nail his behind to a wall.  They feel that there is no such thing as "fair use"; they won't even let you quote a snippet of one of their stories on a forum or in a blog, or put a link to one of their stories.  They will allow you to do it IF you pay for the use of the whole article, at $2.50 per word.

AP will definitely get a lawyer to write him a letter, but what will happen from there is anyone's guess. I am not a lawyer, but I do know that AP has tried and failed to enforce "linking is a violation of our copyright" in the past. Copyright law is complicated, but that doesn't mean they get to write their own: it's still up to what Congress and the courts say the law is.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #4780 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »

Head, meet desk.

AP will definitely get a lawyer to write him a letter, but what will happen from there is anyone's guess. I am not a lawyer, but I do know that AP has tried and failed to enforce "linking is a violation of our copyright" in the past. Copyright law is complicated, but that doesn't mean they get to write their own: it's still up to what Congress and the courts say the law is.
I know, it's crazy.  I'd think that a news service would WANT linking!  But if you are an ordinary middle-class blogger, you may not have the $$$$$$ to engage in a lawsuit against something as big as AP. No matter who 'wins,' you  lose.  :-\
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4781 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
There is a channel on Twitter, #MSWL, where literary agents sometimes post things they'd love to see from authors.  Often it's fairly specific, e.g. "I would love to see a sprawling, complex, adult Mists-of-Avalon treatment of Greek mythology or the Iliad."  Sometimes it's more general, sometimes it's a new agent building a list, but it's always fun to browse because you never know when someone just happens to be daydreaming about reading the exact thing you're trying to sell.

The thing with Twitter hashtags, though, is that anyone can use them.  And a small number of authors seem to have gotten the idea that if they spam an advertisement for their manuscript/self-published book/movie script idea with the #MSWL hashtag, agents are all going to see it and come beating down their door wanting to represent it.  Of course, all that really happens is that a) other authors have to wade through all the drek, and b) agents see their names and associate them with "There's the guy who has NO IDEA how the industry works!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #4782 on: November 06, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
There is a channel on Twitter, #MSWL, where literary agents sometimes post things they'd love to see from authors.  Often it's fairly specific, e.g. "I would love to see a sprawling, complex, adult Mists-of-Avalon treatment of Greek mythology or the Iliad."  Sometimes it's more general, sometimes it's a new agent building a list, but it's always fun to browse because you never know when someone just happens to be daydreaming about reading the exact thing you're trying to sell.

The thing with Twitter hashtags, though, is that anyone can use them.  And a small number of authors seem to have gotten the idea that if they spam an advertisement for their manuscript/self-published book/movie script idea with the #MSWL hashtag, agents are all going to see it and come beating down their door wanting to represent it.  Of course, all that really happens is that a) other authors have to wade through all the drek, and b) agents see their names and associate them with "There's the guy who has NO IDEA how the industry works!"
I follow that twitter feed and hashtag as well.  I find that sooo annoying

onikenbai

« Reply #4783 on: November 06, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
And yet, the mayor of Toronto still has a job.   ::)

The Ford story for those of you who are not from Toronto:
Gets caught reading while driving on the highway (illegal).  Response: So what?  I'm a busy guy.
Gets caught talking on cell while driving. (illegal) Response: So what?  I'm a busy guy.
Alleged video of him smoking crack with drug dealers.  Response:  I do not use crack cocaine.
Gets kicked out of official government event for showing up drunk.  No response.
Refuses to participate in pride themed events for his entire tenure as mayor.  Response:  I'm spending time with my family.
Shows up at major street festival completely and utterly hammered.  Response:  Dude, I'm not driving.  (I'm actually ok with this one)
Ford writes letters of recommendation for two friends on City letterhead.  Friends are both convicted criminals of serious felonies.
Video of crack smoking is recovered by police.  Also reported to contain racist and homophobic slurs, explaining his reluctance to participate in pride activities.  Response:  I may have occasionally smoked crack in one of my drunken stupors.  The police chief has a vendetta against me for recovering the video and the police chief should resign as he is doing a terrible job.
Ford admits to smoking crack but denies being an addict.  Denies lying about it earlier citing that the media "were asking the wrong questions".
Yesterday, evidence that Ford has been paying the utility bills for the crack house is uncovered.  No response from Ford.

Why is he still in office?  There is no impeachment law for city officials.  Until he voluntarily steps down (which he isn't going to do) there is nothing anybody can do.  He promises to run for office in 2014.  For all the things that have been caught on tape, I wonder what he's been up to that hasn't been caught on tape?!

snowfire

« Reply #4784 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
^^^ What the heck????? I'm amazed that there is no way to get this walking FUBAR out of office!