Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1374272 times)

cwm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4875 on: November 07, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
And are none of these criminal offenses?  When you are elected mayor of Toronto, do they issue you a Teflon suit, so that criminal offenses just slide away?

Until he admitted to smoking the crack, the most serious thing he had done was the cell phone and reading while driving, both of which he could receive tickets for, but the cop wasn't around when the pictures were taken, so he got away with it.  Until he admitted it was crack in that pipe, there was no conclusive evidence that it wasn't some other substance, and therefore absolutely nothing to charge him with.  He did also admit that he smoked a lot of pot, but that's not really a big deal here either as we're kind of flexible on that in the legal department.  There's no way that a drug charge of a guy appearing to smoke crack once on a video is ever going to stick in the courts so yeah, Teflon boy.  Besides, if he were no longer mayor, there would no longer be an endless source of entertainment for the city. 

Word on the street is that Ford's main competitor for mayor next year is going to be Jack Layton, and that Layton has a strong chance of winning.  The fact that Layton died a year and a half ago seems to be immaterial.

Hey, Tuxedo Stan (a cat) tried to run for mayor here in Halifax last year. Although, he wasn't able to register due to a some technicality (no Social Insurance Number or unknown birth date - the details are fuzzy now).

I see what you did there...

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4876 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »
7 of the Worst Resumés Ever

Listing a previous job as "Marijuana dealer & nefarious dude," for example, may not be a good career move. Says the article, "Let this be a reminder that you don't have to include every job you've ever had."

Or,
This overeager jobseeker noticed the Technical Director of a company had died, and then mistook that as a chance to get his foot in the door by applying for the deceased’s job. His cover letter stated “Each time I apply for a job, I get a reply that there’s no vacancy but in this case I have caught you red-handed and you have no excuse because I even attended the funeral to be sure that he was truly dead and buried before applying.”

He then attached a copy of the man’s death certificate along with his resume. Yup. Just let that classiness wash over you for a second.
The article has links to original stories about the resumés

The last one mentioned in the article: Aleksey?  I remember when that first hit the internet, and there were some websites laughing about his video resume.  This article says that he ended up committing suicide a few years ago.  Yikes.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4877 on: November 07, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »
It's unlikely Ford would get re-elected at this point, but I think that there *should* be a reluctance to remove someone chosen by the voters from office unless they have done something seriously wrong (say, been convicted of a felony). For good or ill, he was the voters' choice, and unless he's selling the stuff to kids going through City Hall on school tours, I think it sets a bad precedent to throw out an elected official simply because he's not "upstanding".  As a previous poster has said, there's not a lot that Ford could actually be convicted on right now, at least for serious charges.

It isn't a matter of a little scandalous behaviour behind closed doors - most people wouldn't blink an eye at that. I think right now it is more like a complete lack of trust. He is supposed to manage public funds and make long-term decisions but no one wants a crackhead in charge of money. Even one who is never convicted of anything.

It does set up the next mayor rather nicely though. That person could dance the can-can all the way down Young St and people would be relieved that he did it sober! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4878 on: November 07, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
Leading to that classic campaign slogan: I can can-can sober!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4879 on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

LOL.

There have been rumours of video evidence floating around for months.  A couple of weeks ago, Ford's popularity was trending up, again.  I was wondering if the rest of the city was on drugs, too.  But after the admissions, I'm hoping he doesn't get reelected next fall.  And I don't even live there.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #4880 on: November 07, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

LOL.

There have been rumours of video evidence floating around for months.  A couple of weeks ago, Ford's popularity was trending up, again.  I was wondering if the rest of the city was on drugs, too.  But after the admissions, I'm hoping he doesn't get reelected next fall.  And I don't even live there.

It doesn't help any that he said a few months ago, in so many words, that he had never used cocaine, and is now claiming that it's okay, the reporters didn't ask the right questions. I'm sorry, "Have you ever used cocaine?" is the right question, or a right question, if you want to know whether someone has used cocaine. It doesn't have to be "have you ever smoked crack indoors, while in a drunken stupor?"

That level of evasiveness isn't something I'd want in a mayor, or anyone else who is making government policy or responsible for finances. It's the sort of non-logic that leads to "but how could you expect me to tell you where the money was invested, you didn't specifically ask whether it was in a Nevis blind trust benefiting my brother's unborn children."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

onikenbai

« Reply #4881 on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »

LOL.

It doesn't help any that he said a few months ago, in so many words, that he had never used cocaine, and is now claiming that it's okay, the reporters didn't ask the right questions. I'm sorry, "Have you ever used cocaine?" is the right question, or a right question, if you want to know whether someone has used cocaine. It doesn't have to be "have you ever smoked crack indoors, while in a drunken stupor?"

That level of evasiveness isn't something I'd want in a mayor, or anyone else who is making government policy or responsible for finances. It's the sort of non-logic that leads to "but how could you expect me to tell you where the money was invested, you didn't specifically ask whether it was in a Nevis blind trust benefiting my brother's unborn children."

Oh god, it gets even better today!  New video!!!  More drunkenness and the uttering of non-specific death threats.  What's more, because this one isn't tied to a murder investigation (the other one where he's smoking crack, one of the guys in the video was murdered soon after) it's all over the news for your watching pleasure!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-admits-being-extremely-inebriated-in-new-video-1.2418421

Minmom3

« Reply #4882 on: November 07, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
I'd see he's a walking, talking train wreck, but it's more stumbling and babbling...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

miss_ann_thrope

« Reply #4883 on: November 07, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »

LOL.

Oh god, it gets even better today!  New video!!!  More drunkenness and the uttering of non-specific death threats.  What's more, because this one isn't tied to a murder investigation (the other one where he's smoking crack, one of the guys in the video was murdered soon after) it's all over the news for your watching pleasure!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-admits-being-extremely-inebriated-in-new-video-1.2418421

Rob Ford's popularity rating has actually gone up. Many of his supporters are of the mind, "so he smoked crack, so what?" They think the media's to blame, which I agree to a point, it really has exploded. BUT, it didn't have to be this big of a story. If he had just admitted it back in May when Gawker/TorStar broke the story, took a leave of absence and came back, this wouldn't be as huge of a story as it is. But he didn't. He lied, and by doing so, lost confidence of his council and many of the citizens/taxpayers. What else has he lied about?

It's no longer *just* about the crack cocaine and drunk driving/behaviour. It's now about the lying, possible blackmail/extortion, shady activities with shady characters and now murder. That's why council is putting in motions to remove his powers (so he'll be a mayor in name only), and why he's losing supporters, not many, but the tide is shifting.

I, as a citizen of Toronto, believe Mayor Ford should resign, go to rehab, and then run for elections in Oct. I would prefer if he wasn't re-elected, but knowing the citizens of this city, I'd say he has a pretty good chance of becoming Mayor next year, with or without resigning.

Toronto really is a great city. We're just dumb some (most) of the time.  :-[
"I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." - Charles M. Schulz

SoCalVal

« Reply #4884 on: November 08, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?

He was booed out of the room. Of course, that he came in doing the Nazi salute didn't exactly help matters.

Rob

A friend of mine had a friend in high school who, in jest out in public, gave the Nazi salute greeting another friend (she was here in the US as a 17-year-old exchange student in 1986 but this took place in her native country when she was 15 -- in Sweden, I think).  A stranger who witnessed her do this broke her arm for it.  Prince Harry got off lucky (I'm not saying breaking her arm was okay; I'm pointing out that such things people really can/do take a huge offense to -- I remember finding the whole story so surreal because I was unfamiliar with such acts of violence but, then again, I couldn't fathom someone thinking giving the Nazi salute was funny either).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4885 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?

Didn't he get sent away to military school or something right after that as a result?

There's a time and a place for everything. Allo Allo party? Dressing as a Nazi officer is ok. "Hero's and Villains" party? Dressing as a nazi is ok. Anything else? Stay far, far away!

Although if you're royalty or in other ways part of the public eye you should probably stay far, far away no matter what.

I think there are some villains you should just stay away from, period, like Nazis or the KKK (or, if you must, then maybe not going out in public places in such costumes might be best).

Agreed about being royalty or some other role where behavior is under close scrutiny.  It may not be "fair," but there are things that not everyone can get away with doing/being.

Agreed.  A few years ago I asked on EHell for guidance on how to deal with people who expressed a desire to dress as Hitler for a "Heroes and Villains" party I was co-hosting (and which would have Jewish people in attendance), and the consensus was that I couldn't really do anything about it.  We ended up changing the theme of the party (thanks to good advice from EHellions) but then had to cancel it for other reasons.  I'm still disappointed in the "friends" who thought dressing as Hitler would be remotely okay.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:43:08 AM by RingTailedLemur »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4886 on: November 08, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
I saw an example of PD on a true crime show on ID Discovery.  A man had been charged with murdering his wife, and the defense attorney asked the CSI tech if she had ever dated the lead detective on the case.  Absolutely not!  Just then the judge declared recess (end of day).

Next day (and the show had film of the cross examination), the defense attorney confirmed with the CSI tech that she was married, but however had had an affair with the lead detective.  He started with details and she admitted that it was true.

Attorney: So yesterday, you lied when you say that you had never dated (detective)?
CSI: It was totally irrelevant to the case--
Attorney: You lied during your testimony?
CSI: But it was irrele--
Attorney:  You lied?  Yes or no?
CSI: Yes.

She was excused and stomped out of the courtroom, obviously furious.  They never said what happened to her later (BTW, the husband was acquitted, and the program made an excellent case that he was totally innocent), but committing perjury cannot help your resume when you work in law enforcement.

Shalamar

« Reply #4887 on: November 08, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Soooo, would you say that a colleague who sent out a joke e-mail with the subject line Japanese Eye Test is probably committing PD ... ?   :o

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4888 on: November 08, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
If you are going to assure your accountant that she has absolutely all the documentation, and that you have declared every penny of income, it would be a good idea to include the invoice you raised for the repair job.

You know, the one you did for the accountant.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4889 on: November 08, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »
If you are going to assure your accountant that she has absolutely all the documentation, and that you have declared every penny of income, it would be a good idea to include the invoice you raised for the repair job.

You know, the one you did for the accountant.
*laughing hysterically*