News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 12:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4292012 times)

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4800 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
I'd see he's a walking, talking train wreck, but it's more stumbling and babbling...
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

miss_ann_thrope

« Reply #4801 on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
Leading to that classic campaign slogan: I can can-can sober!

LOL.

There have been rumours of video evidence floating around for months.  A couple of weeks ago, Ford's popularity was trending up, again.  I was wondering if the rest of the city was on drugs, too.  But after the admissions, I'm hoping he doesn't get reelected next fall.  And I don't even live there.

It doesn't help any that he said a few months ago, in so many words, that he had never used cocaine, and is now claiming that it's okay, the reporters didn't ask the right questions. I'm sorry, "Have you ever used cocaine?" is the right question, or a right question, if you want to know whether someone has used cocaine. It doesn't have to be "have you ever smoked crack indoors, while in a drunken stupor?"

That level of evasiveness isn't something I'd want in a mayor, or anyone else who is making government policy or responsible for finances. It's the sort of non-logic that leads to "but how could you expect me to tell you where the money was invested, you didn't specifically ask whether it was in a Nevis blind trust benefiting my brother's unborn children."

Oh god, it gets even better today!  New video!!!  More drunkenness and the uttering of non-specific death threats.  What's more, because this one isn't tied to a murder investigation (the other one where he's smoking crack, one of the guys in the video was murdered soon after) it's all over the news for your watching pleasure!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-admits-being-extremely-inebriated-in-new-video-1.2418421

Rob Ford's popularity rating has actually gone up. Many of his supporters are of the mind, "so he smoked crack, so what?" They think the media's to blame, which I agree to a point, it really has exploded. BUT, it didn't have to be this big of a story. If he had just admitted it back in May when Gawker/TorStar broke the story, took a leave of absence and came back, this wouldn't be as huge of a story as it is. But he didn't. He lied, and by doing so, lost confidence of his council and many of the citizens/taxpayers. What else has he lied about?

It's no longer *just* about the crack cocaine and drunk driving/behaviour. It's now about the lying, possible blackmail/extortion, shady activities with shady characters and now murder. That's why council is putting in motions to remove his powers (so he'll be a mayor in name only), and why he's losing supporters, not many, but the tide is shifting.

I, as a citizen of Toronto, believe Mayor Ford should resign, go to rehab, and then run for elections in Oct. I would prefer if he wasn't re-elected, but knowing the citizens of this city, I'd say he has a pretty good chance of becoming Mayor next year, with or without resigning.

Toronto really is a great city. We're just dumb some (most) of the time.  :-[
"I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." - Charles M. Schulz

FauxFoodist

« Reply #4802 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?

He was booed out of the room. Of course, that he came in doing the Nazi salute didn't exactly help matters.

Rob

A friend of mine had a friend in high school who, in jest out in public, gave the Nazi salute greeting another friend (she was here in the US as a 17-year-old exchange student in 1986 but this took place in her native country when she was 15 -- in Sweden, I think).  A stranger who witnessed her do this broke her arm for it.  Prince Harry got off lucky (I'm not saying breaking her arm was okay; I'm pointing out that such things people really can/do take a huge offense to -- I remember finding the whole story so surreal because I was unfamiliar with such acts of violence but, then again, I couldn't fathom someone thinking giving the Nazi salute was funny either).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #4803 on: November 08, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?

Didn't he get sent away to military school or something right after that as a result?

There's a time and a place for everything. Allo Allo party? Dressing as a Nazi officer is ok. "Hero's and Villains" party? Dressing as a nazi is ok. Anything else? Stay far, far away!

Although if you're royalty or in other ways part of the public eye you should probably stay far, far away no matter what.

I think there are some villains you should just stay away from, period, like Nazis or the KKK (or, if you must, then maybe not going out in public places in such costumes might be best).

Agreed about being royalty or some other role where behavior is under close scrutiny.  It may not be "fair," but there are things that not everyone can get away with doing/being.

Agreed.  A few years ago I asked on EHell for guidance on how to deal with people who expressed a desire to dress as Hitler for a "Heroes and Villains" party I was co-hosting (and which would have Jewish people in attendance), and the consensus was that I couldn't really do anything about it.  We ended up changing the theme of the party (thanks to good advice from EHellions) but then had to cancel it for other reasons.  I'm still disappointed in the "friends" who thought dressing as Hitler would be remotely okay.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:43:08 AM by RingTailedLemur »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4804 on: November 08, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
I saw an example of PD on a true crime show on ID Discovery.  A man had been charged with murdering his wife, and the defense attorney asked the CSI tech if she had ever dated the lead detective on the case.  Absolutely not!  Just then the judge declared recess (end of day).

Next day (and the show had film of the cross examination), the defense attorney confirmed with the CSI tech that she was married, but however had had an affair with the lead detective.  He started with details and she admitted that it was true.

Attorney: So yesterday, you lied when you say that you had never dated (detective)?
CSI: It was totally irrelevant to the case--
Attorney: You lied during your testimony?
CSI: But it was irrele--
Attorney:  You lied?  Yes or no?
CSI: Yes.

She was excused and stomped out of the courtroom, obviously furious.  They never said what happened to her later (BTW, the husband was acquitted, and the program made an excellent case that he was totally innocent), but committing perjury cannot help your resume when you work in law enforcement.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4805 on: November 08, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
If you are going to assure your accountant that she has absolutely all the documentation, and that you have declared every penny of income, it would be a good idea to include the invoice you raised for the repair job.

You know, the one you did for the accountant.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #4806 on: November 08, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
If you are going to assure your accountant that she has absolutely all the documentation, and that you have declared every penny of income, it would be a good idea to include the invoice you raised for the repair job.

You know, the one you did for the accountant.
*laughing hysterically*

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #4807 on: November 08, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Soooo, would you say that a colleague who sent out a joke e-mail with the subject line Japanese Eye Test is probably committing PD ... ?   :o

That sound you heard was my sucking all the air out of the room.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4808 on: November 08, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4809 on: November 09, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/08/bungling-immigration-sham-wedding-london

(Leaves the link there and walks away . . .)

I'd have trouble spelling  Massimo Ciabattini even if it were my own name...

onikenbai

« Reply #4810 on: November 13, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
Things continue to go poorly for Rob Ford:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-documents-detail-more-alleged-drug-alcohol-abuse-1.2425344

He does continue to persist there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to step down from office or take a break in any way.  He has, however, been evicted from this weekend's Santa Claus parade.  Yes folks, Santa doesn't want him.  He has been too naughty.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #4811 on: November 13, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »
Things continue to go poorly for Rob Ford:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-documents-detail-more-alleged-drug-alcohol-abuse-1.2425344

He does continue to persist there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to step down from office or take a break in any way.  He has, however, been evicted from this weekend's Santa Claus parade.  Yes folks, Santa doesn't want him.  He has been too naughty.

Most of what I might say here would get us into politics, but "no reason whatsoever" translates to "you can't make me," which may be true, legally speaking.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4812 on: November 13, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
So...an update to things at my "Bakery" situation.

I order cookies from the bakery.
They make them and ship one batch to me, one to the head chef and one to the restaurant.

For the last few weeks I have tried to figure out what has been going on in that kitchen.
Sometimes the cookies never get made.
Sometimes they don't get delivered to everyone.
When we ask for the batch to be adjusted, the bakery refused to send the cookies out at all.

It was to the point that I was taking extra care to be exceptionally polite without coming across as passive-aggressive or sarcastic.
(I consulted with colleagues on the emails I was getting and their jaws dropped at the level of snark I was receiving.)
I saw what I can only be described as a tantrum played out while the baker - who had escalated to issue up two kevels - told a supervisor that she wasn't going to do the 'extra' work of sending him his cookies.  :o :o

So...the very new, inexperienced baker has now been transferred to another department.  She will not be baking at all. I can only hope that her new role is a better fit and that she gains more perspective in how all the parts fit together.  ::)

A new baker has been assigned and she will be trained by a very skilled senior baker who very much wants things to go smoothly. ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Tsaiko

« Reply #4813 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
Wow. This guy just committed it before he even got the job.

Supposed you had an interview with a company and missed it with no call or explanation. Do you:

a) Email the HR lady who originally contacted you with an apology and ask to reschedule.
b) Call the company's main line, ask to speak to someone in HR, apologize, and ask to reschedule.
c) Track down the personal email address of one of the people who was supposed to interview you, a person who has never contacted you before, and email them over a week after your missed the first interview with no apology or explanation asking if you can reschedule.

Our contender went with c). I would have been this person's boss. They don't have to worry about that happening now.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4814 on: November 14, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
Wow. This guy just committed it before he even got the job.

Supposed you had an interview with a company and missed it with no call or explanation. Do you:

a) Email the HR lady who originally contacted you with an apology and ask to reschedule.
b) Call the company's main line, ask to speak to someone in HR, apologize, and ask to reschedule.
c) Track down the personal email address of one of the people who was supposed to interview you, a person who has never contacted you before, and email them over a week after your missed the first interview with no apology or explanation asking if you can reschedule.

Our contender went with c). I would have been this person's boss. They don't have to worry about that happening now.

The idiocy of some job seekers never ceases to amaze me.   Unfortunately in some cases it's very evident why they are unemployed!  Normally little things such as this which show a lack of common sense or understanding basic business etiquette.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"