Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1338852 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4890 on: November 08, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Soooo, would you say that a colleague who sent out a joke e-mail with the subject line Japanese Eye Test is probably committing PD ... ?   :o

That sound you heard was my sucking all the air out of the room.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4891 on: November 08, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #4892 on: November 09, 2013, 06:31:43 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/08/bungling-immigration-sham-wedding-london

(Leaves the link there and walks away . . .)

I'd have trouble spelling  Massimo Ciabattini even if it were my own name...

onikenbai

« Reply #4893 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »
Things continue to go poorly for Rob Ford:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-documents-detail-more-alleged-drug-alcohol-abuse-1.2425344

He does continue to persist there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to step down from office or take a break in any way.  He has, however, been evicted from this weekend's Santa Claus parade.  Yes folks, Santa doesn't want him.  He has been too naughty.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #4894 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-documents-detail-more-alleged-drug-alcohol-abuse-1.2425344

He does continue to persist there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to step down from office or take a break in any way.  He has, however, been evicted from this weekend's Santa Claus parade.  Yes folks, Santa doesn't want him.  He has been too naughty.

Most of what I might say here would get us into politics, but "no reason whatsoever" translates to "you can't make me," which may be true, legally speaking.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4895 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
So...an update to things at my "Bakery" situation.

I order cookies from the bakery.
They make them and ship one batch to me, one to the head chef and one to the restaurant.

For the last few weeks I have tried to figure out what has been going on in that kitchen.
Sometimes the cookies never get made.
Sometimes they don't get delivered to everyone.
When we ask for the batch to be adjusted, the bakery refused to send the cookies out at all.

It was to the point that I was taking extra care to be exceptionally polite without coming across as passive-aggressive or sarcastic.
(I consulted with colleagues on the emails I was getting and their jaws dropped at the level of snark I was receiving.)
I saw what I can only be described as a tantrum played out while the baker - who had escalated to issue up two kevels - told a supervisor that she wasn't going to do the 'extra' work of sending him his cookies.  :o :o

So...the very new, inexperienced baker has now been transferred to another department.  She will not be baking at all. I can only hope that her new role is a better fit and that she gains more perspective in how all the parts fit together.  ::)

A new baker has been assigned and she will be trained by a very skilled senior baker who very much wants things to go smoothly. ;D

Tsaiko

« Reply #4896 on: November 14, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
Wow. This guy just committed it before he even got the job.

Supposed you had an interview with a company and missed it with no call or explanation. Do you:

a) Email the HR lady who originally contacted you with an apology and ask to reschedule.
b) Call the company's main line, ask to speak to someone in HR, apologize, and ask to reschedule.
c) Track down the personal email address of one of the people who was supposed to interview you, a person who has never contacted you before, and email them over a week after your missed the first interview with no apology or explanation asking if you can reschedule.

Our contender went with c). I would have been this person's boss. They don't have to worry about that happening now.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4897 on: November 14, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
Wow. This guy just committed it before he even got the job.

Supposed you had an interview with a company and missed it with no call or explanation. Do you:

a) Email the HR lady who originally contacted you with an apology and ask to reschedule.
b) Call the company's main line, ask to speak to someone in HR, apologize, and ask to reschedule.
c) Track down the personal email address of one of the people who was supposed to interview you, a person who has never contacted you before, and email them over a week after your missed the first interview with no apology or explanation asking if you can reschedule.

Our contender went with c). I would have been this person's boss. They don't have to worry about that happening now.

The idiocy of some job seekers never ceases to amaze me.   Unfortunately in some cases it's very evident why they are unemployed!  Normally little things such as this which show a lack of common sense or understanding basic business etiquette.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

onikenbai

« Reply #4898 on: November 14, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »

Most of what I might say here would get us into politics, but "no reason whatsoever" translates to "you can't make me," which may be true, legally speaking.

Today's antics over oral favours are a scandal all their own that would beleaguer any other mayor but are just a drop in the bucket.  I'm sure it will make the Daily Show tonight because it's just comedic gold and there are no politics involved.   No legalities either.  Just a whole lot of city council standing there with the "I cannot believe you just said that" look on their faces.  Nobody ever said the guy wasn't witty. Every day Toronto wonders how much further Ford can go with his PD, and every day he manages to surprise us all. 

greencat

« Reply #4899 on: November 14, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
Nearly PD - probably could have turned into actual PD if I had opted to pursue it aggressively instead of just having him scolded (and scolding him myself a bit.)

You should not use your access to the database of employee records to obtain an employee's personal cellphone number (personal, not paid for by the employer) and use it to call her about work-related matters during the work day instead of calling her on her office phone or sending her an email to her work email.

Just to be perfectly clear - this is rather similar to this person having access to the filing cabinets in Human Resources because he happens to be a file-folder repairman, and using that unrestricted access to open my personnel file and look at it.  Yes, they're there, but unless a particular folder needs to be worked on, you shouldn't be reading the contents.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4900 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
That wasn't an automatic dismissal???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

greencat

« Reply #4901 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
If he had called for literally any other reason that what he did - which was purely and strictly work related - I would have pursued it to that point.  I'm fairly sure his supervisor had words for him after my supervisor contacted her - he doesn't seem to get assigned to work on things that come out of my department anymore, either.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4902 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
If he had called for literally any other reason that what he did - which was purely and strictly work related - I would have pursued it to that point.  I'm fairly sure his supervisor had words for him after my supervisor contacted her - he doesn't seem to get assigned to work on things that come out of my department anymore, either.

I did that thing where you suck in your breath and then whistle involuntarily. :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Margo

« Reply #4903 on: November 15, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »

The idiocy of some job seekers never ceases to amaze me.   Unfortunately in some cases it's very evident why they are unemployed!  Normally little things such as this which show a lack of common sense or understanding basic business etiquette.

Me too. I once received a (speculative) application and CV for a professional job which was written by the applicant's Father, asking if we had any job openings for his son. The son would have been in his mid 20s with a Degree

It was compounded by the fact that despite mentioning us and saying that he had checked our website,  it was obviously a 'form' letter and it was obvious that he had not, in fact looked at our website, as if he had, he would have seen that (a) I am not the head of the department dealing with the kind of work he said his son wants (b) the 'careers' section on our website sets out who any job applications or enquiries should be sent to and it isn't me (and would not be, even for the department which I *am* the head of.

I would love to know whether the son knew his father was sending out applications for him.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4904 on: November 15, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »

Me too. I once received a (speculative) application and CV for a professional job which was written by the applicant's Father, asking if we had any job openings for his son. The son would have been in his mid 20s with a Degree

It was compounded by the fact that despite mentioning us and saying that he had checked our website,  it was obviously a 'form' letter and it was obvious that he had not, in fact looked at our website, as if he had, he would have seen that (a) I am not the head of the department dealing with the kind of work he said his son wants (b) the 'careers' section on our website sets out who any job applications or enquiries should be sent to and it isn't me (and would not be, even for the department which I *am* the head of.

I would love to know whether the son knew his father was sending out applications for him.

I may roll my eyes, but DH's first "real" job out of college came about when his mom struck up a conversation with a seatmate on a plane, heard the guy ran a software company, and told him "You should hire my son!"

(I may have lots of stories about my boundary-trampling MIL on here, but let it never be said she doesn't make an excellent impression with strangers . . .)