Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376844 times)

Shalamar

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4905 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
I once worked with a guy who called me out of the blue to invite me out for coffee that evening.  I was perplexed, because he was married and so was I.  He insisted that it wasn't personal - he had a business proposition for me.  I knew that I'd probably regret it, but I HAD to know what was going on, so I agreed to meet.  Well, it turned out to be an Amway thing, so I told him in no uncertain terms that I wasn't interested.  End of story, or so I thought ...

... he pulled the same routine on the department's secretary, a very no-nonsense lady who never minced her words.    When he called her, she asked incredulously "Are you out of your mind, calling me at home?  For a BUSINESS proposition?  Never call me again!"  She then reported him to our boss, who told him that if he ever tried a stunt like that again, he'd be out on the street before you could say "Jack Robinson".

andi

« Reply #4906 on: November 15, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
We had an interview scheduled for 10:30 this morning. At 11:35 the young lady calls us to see where our store is located. She finally showed at 11:45 - not really dressed for even a casual interview.  Sigh

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #4907 on: November 15, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
We had an interview scheduled for 10:30 this morning. At 11:35 the young lady calls us to see where our store is located. She finally showed at 11:45 - not really dressed for even a casual interview.  Sigh
This sounds to me like someone who is required to apply for x number of jobs but wants to ensure that she doesn't actually get any of them.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #4908 on: November 15, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
I think one of my friends might be trying to commit some wee PD.

Right now, she's at a work function of some sort which includes lots of food. It also includes lots of alcohol. Said friend - let's call her K - is extremely socially awkward and hates it. K is also very, very much a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

K proceeded to drink very strong wine on an empty stomach, laughingly posting to her Twitter feed that she oughtn't do that but oh well, because she's so ~anxious~ she can't ~possibly~ ask if there's something to eat. (Emphasis not mine. Emphasis hers.) K then proceeded to get very quickly drunk before even touching a morsel of food. K is now spamming her Twitter feed with incoherent nonsense about the food and drink, because she's so drunk she can't even type (text?) straight.

The really baffling part is that she either just moved positions within her job, or moved to a new job entirely - I'm not certain which - and this makes it look like she isn't even trying to take it seriously...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

snowfire

« Reply #4909 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
Oooohh...TWI (texting while intoxicated) can get you canned as quickly as a DWI can get you arrested.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4910 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

What is really sad is that her absence has not affected work flow at all.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4911 on: November 19, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

She sounds like my one boss. when she's in, its more annoying than when she's not, and things run much smoother wiht her not here.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4912 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
It almost sounds like she doesn't want to get well.  :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4913 on: November 19, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
My personal feeling is that I have a few chronic conditions that I have to see my physician periodically about and if I get sick with something more than a cold, I go to the doctor as I simply do not have the inclination to be out of work for more than a day or two unless I have to.

If someone who is rarely ill gets sick like this, I understand the "wait it out" approach, but only for a few days. It has been 11 days since the person got sick.

cwm

« Reply #4914 on: November 19, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
My personal feeling is that I have a few chronic conditions that I have to see my physician periodically about and if I get sick with something more than a cold, I go to the doctor as I simply do not have the inclination to be out of work for more than a day or two unless I have to.

If someone who is rarely ill gets sick like this, I understand the "wait it out" approach, but only for a few days. It has been 11 days since the person got sick.

Most places I've worked have a policy where if you're going to be out more than 2 consecutive days (or more than five days in a 10 day period, I think), you need a doctor's note before you come back. It was general practice to either have someone in your family drop the note with managers or fax it in as soon as you had it so they knew how long to take you off the schedule. I always thought it was ridiculous, because if I've got a bad cold and I know I'll be out for 3 days, there's nothing a doctor can do for me.

Now I know why policies like that exist.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4915 on: November 19, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
I have worked in places like that. No such policy exists here.

LEMon

« Reply #4916 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
There is a stubborn head cold going around here.  I've been sick for eleven days (don't work so I know we're not talking about me) and every day I think tomorrow I will be better.  Unless I had to for work, I wouldn't be going to a doctor (exception it seems to be moving into an infection).

turtleIScream

« Reply #4917 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
There is a stubborn head cold going around here.  I've been sick for eleven days (don't work so I know we're not talking about me) and every day I think tomorrow I will be better.  Unless I had to for work, I wouldn't be going to a doctor (exception it seems to be moving into an infection).

That's me, too. And the symptoms change every 2-3 days.

greencat

« Reply #4918 on: November 20, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »

Good riddance?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4919 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »
Mr 16 Years is continuing to steadily dig a PD grave for himself.

Start of last week he got called into HR for a meeting with the female head of HR about receiving a written warning for violating procedures (there's a very good reason we do things the way we do them, we've all been told plenty of times how to do it, and Mr 16 Years went ahead and ignored all of them). He responded by telling the head of HR that he would have to consult with his lawyer first because this was unfair and unprofessional of the company to do this to him. The head of HR apparently had had it with him and gave Mr 16 Years a darn good talking to, but since the head of HR is a woman, it was probably ignored.

End of last week, Mr 16 Years sent out a document for review. He had completely ignored all the precendents and guidelines for how the document should be formated. Basically we have a master document for each project, where all the necessary changes are listed so that we can keep track of all the changes. Mr 16 Years created an entirely new document in a completely different format, so basically if anyone wanted to review the changes for the project, Mr 16 Years' changes would be overlooked entirely because they're not in the main document. Another coworker (a male one, and one of the few Mr 16 Years would still talk to or take feedback from) had had enough of this and pointed out in a rather blunt email CC'd to a lot of other people that the correct procedure was [X] and by now Mr 16 Years should know how to do this properly.

Mr 16 Years accused male coworker of being "negative and unhelpful". It escalated into a verbal exchange where male coworker (usually very chilled out and very calm) finally finally lost his temper and responded to one excuse for not using the main document with "Bullpucky!" (although I mean the rude version, not the censored version I just typed). Mr 16 Years promptly emailed everyone documenting this as a hostile action and saying he was going to log a complaint with HR about this sort of abusive threatening behaviour.

Senior Analyst popped her head into the head of HR's office to warn her that there was probably going to be another complaint from "your favourite employee" about hostile workplace behaviour. Head of HR just sort of thumped her head on the desk and grumbled "Arrrgh".

Mr 16 Years didn't come to work the last two days (off sick apparently), conveniantly missing a prescheduled meeting for everyone reminding them "This is how we document changes". So now the meeting has been postponed until Mr 16 Years gets back, although we're now taking bets as to whether Mr 16 Years will somehow managed to "take lunch" during the meeting time and simply not pitch up for it. He's very good at missing "This is how we do things" meetings so he can claim he's never been told how to do XYZ so he's done it this totally unregulated way instead.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)