News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 06:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4291662 times)

onikenbai

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4815 on: November 14, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Things continue to go poorly for Rob Ford:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-documents-detail-more-alleged-drug-alcohol-abuse-1.2425344

He does continue to persist there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for him to step down from office or take a break in any way.  He has, however, been evicted from this weekend's Santa Claus parade.  Yes folks, Santa doesn't want him.  He has been too naughty.

Most of what I might say here would get us into politics, but "no reason whatsoever" translates to "you can't make me," which may be true, legally speaking.

Today's antics over oral favours are a scandal all their own that would beleaguer any other mayor but are just a drop in the bucket.  I'm sure it will make the Daily Show tonight because it's just comedic gold and there are no politics involved.   No legalities either.  Just a whole lot of city council standing there with the "I cannot believe you just said that" look on their faces.  Nobody ever said the guy wasn't witty. Every day Toronto wonders how much further Ford can go with his PD, and every day he manages to surprise us all. 

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #4816 on: November 14, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
Nearly PD - probably could have turned into actual PD if I had opted to pursue it aggressively instead of just having him scolded (and scolding him myself a bit.)

You should not use your access to the database of employee records to obtain an employee's personal cellphone number (personal, not paid for by the employer) and use it to call her about work-related matters during the work day instead of calling her on her office phone or sending her an email to her work email.

Just to be perfectly clear - this is rather similar to this person having access to the filing cabinets in Human Resources because he happens to be a file-folder repairman, and using that unrestricted access to open my personnel file and look at it.  Yes, they're there, but unless a particular folder needs to be worked on, you shouldn't be reading the contents.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4817 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »
That wasn't an automatic dismissal???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #4818 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:45 PM »
If he had called for literally any other reason that what he did - which was purely and strictly work related - I would have pursued it to that point.  I'm fairly sure his supervisor had words for him after my supervisor contacted her - he doesn't seem to get assigned to work on things that come out of my department anymore, either.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #4819 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »
If he had called for literally any other reason that what he did - which was purely and strictly work related - I would have pursued it to that point.  I'm fairly sure his supervisor had words for him after my supervisor contacted her - he doesn't seem to get assigned to work on things that come out of my department anymore, either.

I did that thing where you suck in your breath and then whistle involuntarily. :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Margo

« Reply #4820 on: November 15, 2013, 06:40:36 AM »

The idiocy of some job seekers never ceases to amaze me.   Unfortunately in some cases it's very evident why they are unemployed!  Normally little things such as this which show a lack of common sense or understanding basic business etiquette.

Me too. I once received a (speculative) application and CV for a professional job which was written by the applicant's Father, asking if we had any job openings for his son. The son would have been in his mid 20s with a Degree

It was compounded by the fact that despite mentioning us and saying that he had checked our website,  it was obviously a 'form' letter and it was obvious that he had not, in fact looked at our website, as if he had, he would have seen that (a) I am not the head of the department dealing with the kind of work he said his son wants (b) the 'careers' section on our website sets out who any job applications or enquiries should be sent to and it isn't me (and would not be, even for the department which I *am* the head of.

I would love to know whether the son knew his father was sending out applications for him.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4821 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:25 AM »

The idiocy of some job seekers never ceases to amaze me.   Unfortunately in some cases it's very evident why they are unemployed!  Normally little things such as this which show a lack of common sense or understanding basic business etiquette.

Me too. I once received a (speculative) application and CV for a professional job which was written by the applicant's Father, asking if we had any job openings for his son. The son would have been in his mid 20s with a Degree

It was compounded by the fact that despite mentioning us and saying that he had checked our website,  it was obviously a 'form' letter and it was obvious that he had not, in fact looked at our website, as if he had, he would have seen that (a) I am not the head of the department dealing with the kind of work he said his son wants (b) the 'careers' section on our website sets out who any job applications or enquiries should be sent to and it isn't me (and would not be, even for the department which I *am* the head of.

I would love to know whether the son knew his father was sending out applications for him.

I may roll my eyes, but DH's first "real" job out of college came about when his mom struck up a conversation with a seatmate on a plane, heard the guy ran a software company, and told him "You should hire my son!"

(I may have lots of stories about my boundary-trampling MIL on here, but let it never be said she doesn't make an excellent impression with strangers . . .)

andi

« Reply #4822 on: November 15, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
We had an interview scheduled for 10:30 this morning. At 11:35 the young lady calls us to see where our store is located. She finally showed at 11:45 - not really dressed for even a casual interview.  Sigh

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #4823 on: November 15, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
We had an interview scheduled for 10:30 this morning. At 11:35 the young lady calls us to see where our store is located. She finally showed at 11:45 - not really dressed for even a casual interview.  Sigh
This sounds to me like someone who is required to apply for x number of jobs but wants to ensure that she doesn't actually get any of them.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4824 on: November 15, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
I think one of my friends might be trying to commit some wee PD.

Right now, she's at a work function of some sort which includes lots of food. It also includes lots of alcohol. Said friend - let's call her K - is extremely socially awkward and hates it. K is also very, very much a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

K proceeded to drink very strong wine on an empty stomach, laughingly posting to her Twitter feed that she oughtn't do that but oh well, because she's so ~anxious~ she can't ~possibly~ ask if there's something to eat. (Emphasis not mine. Emphasis hers.) K then proceeded to get very quickly drunk before even touching a morsel of food. K is now spamming her Twitter feed with incoherent nonsense about the food and drink, because she's so drunk she can't even type (text?) straight.

The really baffling part is that she either just moved positions within her job, or moved to a new job entirely - I'm not certain which - and this makes it look like she isn't even trying to take it seriously...
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

snowfire

« Reply #4825 on: November 15, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
Oooohh...TWI (texting while intoxicated) can get you canned as quickly as a DWI can get you arrested.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4826 on: November 19, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »
We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

What is really sad is that her absence has not affected work flow at all.

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #4827 on: November 19, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

What is really sad is that her absence has not affected work flow at all.

She sounds like my one boss. when she's in, its more annoying than when she's not, and things run much smoother wiht her not here.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4828 on: November 19, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
It almost sounds like she doesn't want to get well.  :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4829 on: November 19, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
My personal feeling is that I have a few chronic conditions that I have to see my physician periodically about and if I get sick with something more than a cold, I go to the doctor as I simply do not have the inclination to be out of work for more than a day or two unless I have to.

If someone who is rarely ill gets sick like this, I understand the "wait it out" approach, but only for a few days. It has been 11 days since the person got sick.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien