Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1094207 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4950 on: November 24, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »
Ahhhh yes, just like the son of my first wife.  He had a summer job at a water park working in a concession stand.  He and some of his coworkers thought it was a great way to make some extra money.  After they were all caught and fired (restitution was made so there were no charges filed) I asked him if at the end of the night they had to do an inventory count (how many hot dogs and hot dog buns were left, and other items) he said yes.  I asked him if he knew why they did that, and he said no.  I explained to him if there were fifty hot dogs in inventory at the end of the night, and the next night there were 25, then his employer would expect to see sales equal to the cost of 25 hot dogs.  If there was only enough money in the till for 20 hot dogs, then the employer would figure out someone was stealing five hot dogs.

That was a bit of a light bulb moment for him.

Some movie theater concession workers are smart enough to get around the inventory. They collect the used popcorn and soda containers from inside theaters, then use those for new transactions. They can pocket that money and the numbers work out fine.

[snip]

Well, as someone who is usher at a theater, I wouldn't call that smart at all, just gross as Ehell. I can't even mention the stuff I've found in soda cups or on the floor outside of the Gross - Out thread. People could actually get sick that way, and I can't imagine stomaching reselling popcorn and cups that nasty. It's cunning, maybe, but definitely not smart.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4951 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »
What not to do on the graveyard shift at McDonalds

http://tinyurl.com/pthg58g

And a UPS driver gets caught with his pants down

http://tinyurl.com/o65gmfs
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:11:37 AM by Katana_Geldar »

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #4952 on: November 27, 2013, 05:15:11 AM »
My province's latest PD exhibitor:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/alberta-politician-arrested-in-u-s-prostitution-sting-plans-to-serve-out-term-1.1514162

And, let's not forget Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Actually, no, let us forget him and give thanks we live in Alberta, where the misdeeds at least occur in another country.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4953 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »

And a UPS driver gets caught with his pants down

http://tinyurl.com/o65gmfs

"Dude, you wanna try our REALLY Happy Meal?"

and

"Honey, check tracking... what time does it say the UPS guy is coming?"

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4954 on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
"Honey, check tracking... what time does it say the UPS guy is coming?"
 ;D ;D

dawnfire

« Reply #4955 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »

well they clearly advertise it on their menu Coke, ice and hash browns   ;D

StarFaerie

« Reply #4956 on: November 28, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »

well they clearly advertise it on their menu Coke, ice and hash browns   ;D

And you can buy a 50c cone.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4957 on: November 29, 2013, 01:46:19 AM »
Little Miss Whiney in our office is slowly alienating the entire company. She's a moocher and a taker.

If she asks for your lighter, you'll never get it back. If she asks to borrow money for lunch, she never pays it back. We have an office full of smokers and none of them will lend her a lighter anymore. She has to walk to the other side of the building to find someone willing to lend her a lighter and her last victim has now just put a sign up on their door saying "Only Staff involved with [Major project] may enter this office". That sign probably went up because she not only hit the team lead in that office up for lunch money and painkillers, but then walked off with her lighter. Team lead handed her a sheet of painkillers and said she could have 2. LMW walked off with the entire sheet and team lead's lighter.

Mind you, I have no sympathy for coworkers who are too spineless to ask for their money, their painkillers or their lighters back.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

andi

« Reply #4958 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »
I work retail in the US. Calling out on Black Friday 10 minutes after your shift starts is never good. It's especially not good if you were partying with your coworkers the night before and they all showed up talking about it.

(standard policy for calling out on a mandatory day like that is a doctor's note - not gonna happen with this guy)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4959 on: December 01, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
I work retail in the US. Calling out on Black Friday 10 minutes after your shift starts is never good. It's especially not good if you were partying with your coworkers the night before and they all showed up talking about it.

(standard policy for calling out on a mandatory day like that is a doctor's note - not gonna happen with this guy)
I don't suppose he could go see a doctor who would agree that he is too sick to work (nausea, sweats, headache, etc.) because he's hungover.  I don't say it's a valid use of sick leave, but as a customer, I would rather not be served by a sales associate with a severe hangover.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4960 on: December 01, 2013, 02:23:43 AM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

andi

« Reply #4961 on: December 01, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

This.  Everyone has known for 2 weeks what hours they work on friday - plan accordingly.  He didn't even have to be in till 10 am.

I had 5 people call out Saturday.  One no call / no show and 2 over an hour late.  I can't wait to find another job 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4962 on: December 01, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

(Scroll down for the letter itself.)

Short story: Microsoft releases a form letter you can have automatically sent to your girlfriend to convince her you should go in together and buy an XBox one.  It manages to hit all the hot buttons, like

a) patronizing language
b) women can't possibly read tech news and need it spoon-fed to them
c) women don't watch sports or play real games, they watch girly movies
d) men are totally willing to pretend to be nice to their girlfriends' families in an effort to get something they want (in this case, an XBox)

The article has an update saying the form was altered slightly since it was released, but still!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4963 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
My parents and I were at a semi-casual local seafood restaurant. For some reason, they kept sending different waitresses over to check on us. One waitress came to the table, eyed Mom's mini tea kettle (brought by our first waitress), lifted it up, shook the kettle around while trying to stare down into it and then started dunking the tea bag up and down.  :o While the waitress was dunking the tea bag, she said to Mom "I noticed you had put honey in your tea earlier and (some comment we couldn't understand). Are you ready for more ? Hold the cup for me while I pour. There you go." Mom looked ready to strangle the waitress when she touched the tea bag. I found it very offputting, too. I assume the waitress was trying to "class up" the service and earn a bigger tip, but yuck! Hands off the tea bag, lady!

I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

This is the 2013 version of "Hey, baby, have i told you lately you are as pretty as Greg Maddux? ...Now,baby, what i meant to say is when you're naked you are prettier than Greg Maddux" (TM Jeff Foxworthy)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:11:17 PM by TeamBhakta »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4964 on: December 01, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
I hate people continuously checking on me in a restaurant. A once check is okay during the meal, but anything more than that is annoying. DH and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe once and had staff coming every 15 minutes asking if we were ok.