News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 10:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4285151 times)

HorseFreak

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4860 on: November 24, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
My brother worked at a movie theater a long time ago. One of his coworkers got fired for stealing the bills (leaving the change) from the Jimmy Fund collection cans that were passed around at the beginning of the movies. The Jimmy Fund is to support a cancer research and treatment hospital in Boston. He got caught because he bragged about it!

Snooks

« Reply #4861 on: November 24, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I had a boss at a restaurant who reckoned he could write a book on all the scams he'd seen staff try.  Often they revolved around charging the customer full price then running coupons through the register when they entered the payment.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4862 on: November 24, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
I had a boss at a restaurant who reckoned he could write a book on all the scams he'd seen staff try.  Often they revolved around charging the customer full price then running coupons through the register when they entered the payment.

He should write that book!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cherry91

« Reply #4863 on: November 24, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »

He should write that book!

I'd read it!
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

magician5

« Reply #4864 on: November 24, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
My wife worked for a major accounting firm for 25 years. She had many stories about professional staff who would expense charges at strip clubs, prostitutes, so many things that any idiot would know would easily be found out.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #4865 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
My most recent former coworker decided it would be a neat idea to just do a "no sale" on the register instead of ringing food items up and stick the money off to the side for herself. While standing directly under a security camera pointed directly at said register. She was seriously shocked that she got fired.

I.... what? How does that even...? *Shakes head*

Oh she was quite far on the common sense challenged end of the scale. She interviewed for a clerical job at her college, and when they asked where she saw herself in 5 years, her answer was "Working at Disney." She is 41 with 2 grown kids.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4866 on: November 24, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
Ahhhh yes, just like the son of my first wife.  He had a summer job at a water park working in a concession stand.  He and some of his coworkers thought it was a great way to make some extra money.  After they were all caught and fired (restitution was made so there were no charges filed) I asked him if at the end of the night they had to do an inventory count (how many hot dogs and hot dog buns were left, and other items) he said yes.  I asked him if he knew why they did that, and he said no.  I explained to him if there were fifty hot dogs in inventory at the end of the night, and the next night there were 25, then his employer would expect to see sales equal to the cost of 25 hot dogs.  If there was only enough money in the till for 20 hot dogs, then the employer would figure out someone was stealing five hot dogs.

That was a bit of a light bulb moment for him.

Some movie theater concession workers are smart enough to get around the inventory. They collect the used popcorn and soda containers from inside theaters, then use those for new transactions. They can pocket that money and the numbers work out fine.

[snip]

Well, as someone who is usher at a theater, I wouldn't call that smart at all, just gross as Ehell. I can't even mention the stuff I've found in soda cups or on the floor outside of the Gross - Out thread. People could actually get sick that way, and I can't imagine stomaching reselling popcorn and cups that nasty. It's cunning, maybe, but definitely not smart.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4867 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
What not to do on the graveyard shift at McDonalds

http://tinyurl.com/pthg58g

And a UPS driver gets caught with his pants down

http://tinyurl.com/o65gmfs
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:11:37 AM by Katana_Geldar »

AuntieA

• Now a great-Auntie x2!
« Reply #4868 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »
My province's latest PD exhibitor:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/alberta-politician-arrested-in-u-s-prostitution-sting-plans-to-serve-out-term-1.1514162

And, let's not forget Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Actually, no, let us forget him and give thanks we live in Alberta, where the misdeeds at least occur in another country.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4869 on: November 27, 2013, 06:18:19 AM »

And a UPS driver gets caught with his pants down

http://tinyurl.com/o65gmfs

"Dude, you wanna try our REALLY Happy Meal?"

and

"Honey, check tracking... what time does it say the UPS guy is coming?"

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4870 on: November 27, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »
"Honey, check tracking... what time does it say the UPS guy is coming?"
 ;D ;D

dawnfire

« Reply #4871 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

well they clearly advertise it on their menu Coke, ice and hash browns   ;D
Whittlesea Victoria

StarFaerie

« Reply #4872 on: November 28, 2013, 03:43:53 AM »

well they clearly advertise it on their menu Coke, ice and hash browns   ;D

And you can buy a 50c cone.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4873 on: November 29, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
Little Miss Whiney in our office is slowly alienating the entire company. She's a moocher and a taker.

If she asks for your lighter, you'll never get it back. If she asks to borrow money for lunch, she never pays it back. We have an office full of smokers and none of them will lend her a lighter anymore. She has to walk to the other side of the building to find someone willing to lend her a lighter and her last victim has now just put a sign up on their door saying "Only Staff involved with [Major project] may enter this office". That sign probably went up because she not only hit the team lead in that office up for lunch money and painkillers, but then walked off with her lighter. Team lead handed her a sheet of painkillers and said she could have 2. LMW walked off with the entire sheet and team lead's lighter.

Mind you, I have no sympathy for coworkers who are too spineless to ask for their money, their painkillers or their lighters back.
<3

andi

« Reply #4874 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »
I work retail in the US. Calling out on Black Friday 10 minutes after your shift starts is never good. It's especially not good if you were partying with your coworkers the night before and they all showed up talking about it.

(standard policy for calling out on a mandatory day like that is a doctor's note - not gonna happen with this guy)