News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 01:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4283381 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4875 on: December 01, 2013, 01:15:34 AM »
I work retail in the US. Calling out on Black Friday 10 minutes after your shift starts is never good. It's especially not good if you were partying with your coworkers the night before and they all showed up talking about it.

(standard policy for calling out on a mandatory day like that is a doctor's note - not gonna happen with this guy)
I don't suppose he could go see a doctor who would agree that he is too sick to work (nausea, sweats, headache, etc.) because he's hungover.  I don't say it's a valid use of sick leave, but as a customer, I would rather not be served by a sales associate with a severe hangover.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4876 on: December 01, 2013, 01:23:43 AM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

andi

« Reply #4877 on: December 01, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

This.  Everyone has known for 2 weeks what hours they work on friday - plan accordingly.  He didn't even have to be in till 10 am.

I had 5 people call out Saturday.  One no call / no show and 2 over an hour late.  I can't wait to find another job 

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4878 on: December 01, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

(Scroll down for the letter itself.)

Short story: Microsoft releases a form letter you can have automatically sent to your girlfriend to convince her you should go in together and buy an XBox one.  It manages to hit all the hot buttons, like

a) patronizing language
b) women can't possibly read tech news and need it spoon-fed to them
c) women don't watch sports or play real games, they watch girly movies
d) men are totally willing to pretend to be nice to their girlfriends' families in an effort to get something they want (in this case, an XBox)

The article has an update saying the form was altered slightly since it was released, but still!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4879 on: December 01, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
My parents and I were at a semi-casual local seafood restaurant. For some reason, they kept sending different waitresses over to check on us. One waitress came to the table, eyed Mom's mini tea kettle (brought by our first waitress), lifted it up, shook the kettle around while trying to stare down into it and then started dunking the tea bag up and down.  :o While the waitress was dunking the tea bag, she said to Mom "I noticed you had put honey in your tea earlier and (some comment we couldn't understand). Are you ready for more ? Hold the cup for me while I pour. There you go." Mom looked ready to strangle the waitress when she touched the tea bag. I found it very offputting, too. I assume the waitress was trying to "class up" the service and earn a bigger tip, but yuck! Hands off the tea bag, lady!

I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

This is the 2013 version of "Hey, baby, have i told you lately you are as pretty as Greg Maddux? ...Now,baby, what i meant to say is when you're naked you are prettier than Greg Maddux" (TM Jeff Foxworthy)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:11:17 PM by TeamBhakta »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4880 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
I hate people continuously checking on me in a restaurant. A once check is okay during the meal, but anything more than that is annoying. DH and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe once and had staff coming every 15 minutes asking if we were ok.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #4881 on: December 01, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

This.  Everyone has known for 2 weeks what hours they work on friday - plan accordingly.  He didn't even have to be in till 10 am.

I had 5 people call out Saturday.  One no call / no show and 2 over an hour late.  I can't wait to find another job

pID. I work in retail but was lucky enough not to be scheduled. They did try and get me to work, but when the schedules been out fir 10 days, and I'm not on it, I make plans!  One of my CWs dud call out BF, but they all love her so I doubt there will be any consequenses

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4882 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »

Short story: Microsoft releases a form letter you can have automatically sent to your girlfriend to convince her you should go in together and buy an XBox one.  It manages to hit all the hot buttons, like

a) patronizing language
d) men are totally willing to pretend to be nice to their girlfriends' families in an effort to get something they want (in this case, an XBox)

The article has an update saying the form was altered slightly since it was released, but still!

"I know you'd rather knit than watch me slay zombies"

Uh, excuse me? My perfect man would SO slay zombies while I knit beside him. (and possibly play all the blood horror games i love the cutscenes of but am awful at)

HenrysMom

« Reply #4883 on: December 01, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »

a) patronizing language

Uh, excuse me? My perfect man would SO slay zombies while I knit beside him. (and possibly play all the blood horror games i love the cutscenes of but am awful at)

POD, I'll also knit and watch DH kill zombies.  I'll even point out ones he's missed.

(BTW, I just scored DH an Xbox One bundle for Xmas.)

Jocelyn

« Reply #4884 on: December 01, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »

And Monday comes around every week, but people with drinking problems still find themselves too hung over to get to work. People who have drinking problems are not long on planning ahead, because it requires the self-awareness that your natural inclination is to drink more than you can handle.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4885 on: December 01, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »

a) patronizing language

POD, I'll also knit and watch DH kill zombies.  I'll even point out ones he's missed.

(BTW, I just scored DH an Xbox One bundle for Xmas.)

I'd knit while he killed opponents, and only put down the knitting when he needs my avatar for a little tag-team @sskicking.  >:D Or, since I prefer medieval roleplay, when we're in the same tournament, and we've drawn each other as opponents.  >:D

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4886 on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
I'd rather knit than watch my SO kill zombies.

But I'd rather kill the zombies myself than either of the above activities.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4887 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
I'd rather knit than watch my SO kill zombies.

But I'd rather kill the zombies myself than either of the above activities.
I marvel that whomever wrote that letter has never seen the picture of the gamer couple- she is sitting on his lap, they both have their arms around each other, sitting cheek to cheek...looking over each other's shoulder to their laptop on the table behind their partner. The explanation was that they couldn't decide which they'd rather do, cuddle or game, and then one of them said, 'Waitaminit...'

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4888 on: December 01, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »

a) patronizing language

As the Designated Gamer in my family, I'll be impressed when I can knit AND kill zombies at the same time.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mmswm

« Reply #4889 on: December 01, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Y'all can have your knitting and zombie killing.  I'll be out working on my car if ya need me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)