Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1297558 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4965 on: December 01, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

This.  Everyone has known for 2 weeks what hours they work on friday - plan accordingly.  He didn't even have to be in till 10 am.

I had 5 people call out Saturday.  One no call / no show and 2 over an hour late.  I can't wait to find another job

pID. I work in retail but was lucky enough not to be scheduled. They did try and get me to work, but when the schedules been out fir 10 days, and I'm not on it, I make plans!  One of my CWs dud call out BF, but they all love her so I doubt there will be any consequenses

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4966 on: December 01, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

(Scroll down for the letter itself.)

Short story: Microsoft releases a form letter you can have automatically sent to your girlfriend to convince her you should go in together and buy an XBox one.  It manages to hit all the hot buttons, like

a) patronizing language
b) women can't possibly read tech news and need it spoon-fed to them
c) women don't watch sports or play real games, they watch girly movies
d) men are totally willing to pretend to be nice to their girlfriends' families in an effort to get something they want (in this case, an XBox)

The article has an update saying the form was altered slightly since it was released, but still!

"I know you'd rather knit than watch me slay zombies"

Uh, excuse me? My perfect man would SO slay zombies while I knit beside him. (and possibly play all the blood horror games i love the cutscenes of but am awful at)

BarensMom

« Reply #4967 on: December 01, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
I'm guessing someone at Microsoft is getting chewed out right about now: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/27/microsoft-publishes-sexist-form-letter-to-help-dudes-convince-women-to-let-them-buy-an-xbox-one/

Short story: Microsoft releases a form letter you can have automatically sent to your girlfriend to convince her you should go in together and buy an XBox one.  It manages to hit all the hot buttons, like

a) patronizing language
d) men are totally willing to pretend to be nice to their girlfriends' families in an effort to get something they want (in this case, an XBox)

The article has an update saying the form was altered slightly since it was released, but still!

Uh, excuse me? My perfect man would SO slay zombies while I knit beside him. (and possibly play all the blood horror games i love the cutscenes of but am awful at)

POD, I'll also knit and watch DH kill zombies.  I'll even point out ones he's missed.

(BTW, I just scored DH an Xbox One bundle for Xmas.)

Jocelyn

« Reply #4968 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
That employee should have the presence of mind not to get blind drunk on thanksgiving if he was working that day.

This.  Everyone has known for 2 weeks what hours they work on friday - plan accordingly.  He didn't even have to be in till 10 am. 
And Monday comes around every week, but people with drinking problems still find themselves too hung over to get to work. People who have drinking problems are not long on planning ahead, because it requires the self-awareness that your natural inclination is to drink more than you can handle.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4969 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »

a) patronizing language

POD, I'll also knit and watch DH kill zombies.  I'll even point out ones he's missed.

(BTW, I just scored DH an Xbox One bundle for Xmas.)

I'd knit while he killed opponents, and only put down the knitting when he needs my avatar for a little tag-team @sskicking.  >:D Or, since I prefer medieval roleplay, when we're in the same tournament, and we've drawn each other as opponents.  >:D

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4970 on: December 01, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
I'd rather knit than watch my SO kill zombies.

But I'd rather kill the zombies myself than either of the above activities.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4971 on: December 01, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »

I marvel that whomever wrote that letter has never seen the picture of the gamer couple- she is sitting on his lap, they both have their arms around each other, sitting cheek to cheek...looking over each other's shoulder to their laptop on the table behind their partner. The explanation was that they couldn't decide which they'd rather do, cuddle or game, and then one of them said, 'Waitaminit...'

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4972 on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »

a) patronizing language

As the Designated Gamer in my family, I'll be impressed when I can knit AND kill zombies at the same time.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mmswm

« Reply #4973 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »
Y'all can have your knitting and zombie killing.  I'll be out working on my car if ya need me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4974 on: December 02, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »
Speaking of gamers... boyfriend is making me play amnesia.... he said it was scary... its not even scary...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4975 on: December 02, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »

I marvel that whomever wrote that letter has never seen the picture of the gamer couple- she is sitting on his lap, they both have their arms around each other, sitting cheek to cheek...looking over each other's shoulder to their laptop on the table behind their partner. The explanation was that they couldn't decide which they'd rather do, cuddle or game, and then one of them said, 'Waitaminit...'

Hence the creation of "hard mode."  In which one half of the couple attempts to game normally while the other half attempts to, err . . . yeah, I'm failing at a scrabble-related euphemism, but it involves crawling under their desk and trying to distract them  :P

AngelicGamer

« Reply #4976 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:43 AM »

Hence the creation of "hard mode."  In which one half of the couple attempts to game normally while the other half attempts to, err . . . yeah, I'm failing at a scrabble-related euphemism, but it involves crawling under their desk and trying to distract them  :P

Go for double word score?  The gamer in me is going "...yeah, that would be a no" to the idea of hard mode.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4977 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »

Go for double word score?  The gamer in me is going "...yeah, that would be a no" to the idea of hard mode.

I'm terrible. My first thought was "What a waste of good video game time!" :-[ :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

deadbody

« Reply #4978 on: December 02, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »

I'm terrible. My first thought was "What a waste of good video game time!" :-[ :P

Mrs. Deadbody offered that once.  I told her not in the middle of the final op boss fight.  I had to sleep on the couch that night.  Totally worth it.  boss loot.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4979 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
This is starting to enter TMI territory. Could we please move on?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice