News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 07:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4285937 times)

cwm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4905 on: December 02, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
Not sure if this counts as PD, as the person is gone already, but surely there should have been more oversight.

We have a huge back-end website where client companies send referrals for customers to us. Nearly every single of our 100+ client company base has its own unique website, all maintained on the main website. It's how we get a great deal of our referrals.

As of December 1st, our ownership of the domain expired. All of the notifications of the expiration of the domain went to a person who no longer works with our company. Nobody knew that the domain was set to expire until today.

Today was also the go-live date for one of our newest client companies. So now we have to tell them on their first day (and every single other client company) that we can't accept referrals through this method until it's fixed. Which is a process that usually takes 72 hours through the web hosting company. Luckily we managed to work with them and get it fixed as of 10:00 AM local time, but that's still something that you'd think someone would keep track of.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4906 on: December 02, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
We had an employee of the special kind. She spent all of her time working on super secret project that would make the world so much better! She frequently worked late or came in early, but she was salaried, so that was okay with everyone. Every staff meeting included a discussion about how SS project was going and how much it would drastically change workflow for the people in the department.

Two years of 40 hours a week on SS project. Suddenly, special employee gives notice and leaves to work at another institution.

We discover that not only is SS project not usable, it violates privacy law in the way it stores student information (not secure) and it duplicates processes and programs already in place. Also, special employee locked part of it so it can't be accessed! Three years after special employee's departure and we are still finding remnants of SS project in the webpages we manage.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4907 on: December 02, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »
I've never heard of someone "on call" being paid unless they were actually called in to work. Being on call means you have to be reachable and prepared to go in should they need you but isn't the same as working.

I work in a public university hospital.  EVERYONE who is on call is paid what is called "stand-by" pay (which, for my department, is $5/hr; when working they get $20-25/hr).  It is somewhat like working because, when you are on call, you have to be ready to report no later than one hour from when you are activated to work.  The on-call employees may not be engaged in something that will prevent them from reporting for work in the required amount of time (like traveling further than one hour from work); that is why they get paid stand-by pay.

A friend of mine works for one of the state departments in IT.  When any of them are on call, they also get paid.

Everywhere I've worked that has employees on call has had to pay them to be on call.  If it helps, I'm in California.
I'm also in California. I guess I'm thinking more on the level of retail workers or food servers rather than healthcare workers.

side story: My sister-in-law was a dairy truck dispatcher (she coordinated the trucks to pick up when a dairyman had a load of fresh milk to go to the processing facility; which is a 24-hr 7-day-a-week job. Cow's have no respect for business hours or holidays) She did have regular office hours but since her job was primarily by telephone she had to be reachable when she was on call but would only get paid for time actually logged as work. The phone records were her "timesheet."

Back to Isilleke: When you used "$" I assumed you were in the US. It tends to be a shock for young workers to receive their first paychecks here and see deductions for things like federal social security taxes, medicare, and state income taxes, etc. Low wage earners usually eventually receive that money back when they file a tax return, but it's deducted up front. I'm not sure what kind of taxes or other deductions may be taken from a paycheck in Europe so I don't know if you missed anything -- I would hope that if applicable they would be noted somewhere on a payroll stub. I would also double check that what you have for your hours worked is equal to what your employer has recorded. Other than that I'm not sure why you would want to continue on permanently with what sounds like a very bad job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

purplerainbow

« Reply #4908 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
I knew a guy who seemed to get fired/dismissed from every job I ever knew him to have.
- Working at a school uniform shop. OK, to be fair, he had had his gallbladder removed. However, he didn't help himself by drinking heavily while on medication, or complaining about every conceivable aspect of the job, pulling sickies.
- Working at major supermarket chain #1. He complained that he was being treated like an idiot and made to do the donkey work, stuff he already knew how to do ( they HAVE to show you how to mop the floor as part of your training, so you don't stray from basic staff procedure, and to cover their backs; get over it! ), whining about which department he was put in, taking more sickies, drinking while on medication again.
- At supermarket chain #2. Whining about which shifts he was put on ( um, you're new, you're going to get the unpopular shifts until you're established! ), talking to colleagues about other colleagues behind their backs (something he did to everyone, so it got around), taking more sickies, drinking on medication again.
- On his university course to become a music teacher for high schools, he was required to do placements/work experience of so many days in schools. He went out drinking and slept in during the day, rarely turned up, and then said the university was "mean" for wanting him to make up the extra days. He tried to blame his absences on his medical conditions related to the removed gallbladder... sorry, but when you're on strong opiate medicine and STILL go out drinking until you black out at every opportunity, you're not helping yourself.
He shared inappropriate information with students. For example, he's into men... nothing wrong with that (I'm into both men and women myself), but high school kids do not need to hear that Mr Blueberry spent the weekend with his boyfriend (emphasis!), and they had male+male scrabble. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting students who want to know more about LGBT issues etc, but the thing about teaching is, you have to draw a line between your personal and professional personas. (My mother has been a teacher for 20+ years, and I work in schools myself.) He let the kids out of class early when he couldn't be bothered teaching (which of course is against the rules), and was utterly convinced that he was the only person to understand certain students, who he claimed were really gifted but those other MEAN teachers didn't see it.
I haven't seen him in a few years... I have no idea if he got his teaching diploma. I hope not.  :(

Oh, and just because I only recently started reading this thread, and am still way back at page 40 or something, there's one post I do know of. The rest of you have probably forgotten about it by now, but I can expand on this one for you:

I work in an adult oriented kid friendly store, adults looking at clothes, with alot of kids running around. My (former) co-worker referred to kids as cr@tch fruit. Usually when she was off duty. Well, she slipped up one day and told a customer to "keep her bratty little cr@tch fruit from running around." The customer she said that too was our new DM. Co-worker was fired 2 days later.
The only place I've actually seen that phrase used is on a movie review site called Pajiba. I wonder if the person who got fired was a Pajiba regular?
The term (among other non-Ehell approved ones) is used in the ChildFree community (people who choose not to have children, and don't want them - not to be confused with childLESS people, who want children but don't/can't have them for whatever reason). 
I am Childfree, but nowhere near as extreme as some of the people I know. The CF community has a lot of (often offensive) terms for children and some of those who have them. However, most CFers I know of, only use them when ranting to other CF people, not to parents or children. If anyone wants to know more, or discuss it further, feel free to make another thread. I'll happily contribute. :)
By the way - of course I in no way condone, support or agree with what the coworker said or did - that was highly unprofessional.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #4909 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
Before my current job, I worked at my university (work study) in an office. Basically, you answered phones, filed files, and assisted students who came in to drop off or pick up paperwork. One girl worked with us very briefly. I was the one who trained her and boy, what a headache!

Her very first day:

1) After showing her around, I said, ''Looks like we have some deliveries to make in the building. Can you take them?'' She only went after rolling her eyes multiple times. She basically never delivered things.
2) She wouldn't answer the phone. She would just look at it/me/whatever coworker she was with. Even if they were already on the other line.
3) She would be rather unhelpful when people came in needing things.

Pure laziness. I know this was a work study job, but she'd already had one before so she knew how to work. And this job represented a major part of the university (specific college within) because transfers and new students often had to come in. She never got fired, but thankfully quit after that summer.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #4910 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »
Not sure if this counts as PD, as the person is gone already, but surely there should have been more oversight.

We have a huge back-end website where client companies send referrals for customers to us. Nearly every single of our 100+ client company base has its own unique website, all maintained on the main website. It's how we get a great deal of our referrals.

As of December 1st, our ownership of the domain expired. All of the notifications of the expiration of the domain went to a person who no longer works with our company. Nobody knew that the domain was set to expire until today.

Today was also the go-live date for one of our newest client companies. So now we have to tell them on their first day (and every single other client company) that we can't accept referrals through this method until it's fixed. Which is a process that usually takes 72 hours through the web hosting company. Luckily we managed to work with them and get it fixed as of 10:00 AM local time, but that's still something that you'd think someone would keep track of.

www.microsoft.com expired once.  A nice guy bought it and then just wanted back the money he paid.  But, he did frame the certificate from the domain company saying that he was the owner of microsoft.com

ladyknight1

« Reply #4911 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
Our office manager lacks the patience or attention to detail required to check her outgoing email messages for proper grammar/spelling/legible words. This is the third time in a week!
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Twik

Re: Professional Darwinism
« Reply #4912 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

I work in an adult oriented kid friendly store, adults looking at clothes, with alot of kids running around. My (former) co-worker referred to kids as cr@tch fruit. Usually when she was off duty. Well, she slipped up one day and told a customer to "keep her bratty little cr@tch fruit from running around." The customer she said that too was our new DM. Co-worker was fired 2 days later.

Even overlooking the insult to the woman's children, I think the basic rule is that you should not say "cr@tch" to a customer unless you are currently measuring them for the lower half of a suit of clothing.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #4913 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
I hope I witnessed professional darwinism in action.  A manager in another department had the following heavily paraphrased exchange with a lead from another team and the boss that is over both the manager's team and the other team.

Other team lead:  We need this thing from your team, and it needs to do this certain thing for us in this certain way, so we can do our jobs later on down the line.
Manager:  So I'm going to have my team do this thing this way.  It will do (something entirely different than what the other team asked for), like you guys wanted.
Other team lead: No, we need it to work the way we asked for originally, because otherwise we won't be able to do our jobs.
Manager: But we don't want you guys to be able to do that thing.  We need to work together to document why we can't do this thing.  Can't we all get along while we don't do this thing?
Big boss:  Do the thing the way they asked for it, because that's the way the thing works.
Manager: (and this part is NOT paraphrased.) Fine.

Yes, he responded to his boss like a sulking teenager.  In an email that went to myself, a few of his subordinates, the entire other team that made the request, and his boss.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4914 on: December 03, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as PD or not.  I work in a government office.  The Secretary does not get along with the Clerk.  Secretary is Clerk's immediate supervisor.  Clerk is insubordinate, late almost every day, incompetent, lazy, and produces embarrassingly poor quality work.  Secretary is too lazy to write up Clerk, so she decided to retire instead.  She will be gone the last day of the year.  Clerk thinks she is a shoo-in to be the next Secretary.

I hope not.  If management picks Clerk as the next Secretary, I'll be looking for another job.  Partly because Clerk is physically intimidating when crossed (she scares the beejeses out of me) and partly because, if management thinks she's the best person for the job, they are incompetent, too. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

« Reply #4915 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Ugh, MK. That sounds like something that would happen at my work. We are in the process of hiring for three positions and so far, none of the 200 applicants are even close to meeting the minimum requirements (which are pretty low). I have to train all of them! Spring is not going to be fun.  ::)
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #4916 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Just a brief look at ranking before I start this on-going train wreck...

From top to bottom:
Shift Commander*
Captain
Shift Leader*
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Officer

*The SC is a captain, but he is the captain over the daily operations of the entire facility but mostly watches one side of the facility.  The SL is a lieutenant, but he is the lieutenant over the daily operations of the other side of the facility.

A fellow officer in my department, upset at how the SL had handled a situation (in effect saying an offender could do something she had said he couldn't), sent the SL an e-mail that said something to the effect of, "If your staff wants to change the rules of my area, your staff can run my area."  Later that day, when the SL ran into her, she proceeded to literally raise her voice yell at and scold him, in front of a sergeant nonetheless.

When counseled by our (her and my) captain, she came crying to me that our captain told her whatever the SL and SC says goes and they have command over our areas, too, as they are responsible for the entire facility.  She has another meeting with our lieutenant and captain this week.  We'll see if she gets herself into more trouble.

The worst part?  When talking to her (read: listening to her) about her yelling at the SL, she told me that if our supervisors had taken care of the issue, it (her yelling) never would have happened.  Sadly, this is a known pattern in her behavior of her not taking responsibility for herself.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #4917 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
the mind it boggles...I literally feel it wiggling in my head right now

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4918 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
Mr 16 Years is throwing his toys out the cot.

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o What the heck is he trying to achieve by that?  Boss is joking about offering to sell popcorn to the event. I really don't want to be there for this drama.  I don't see how ANYTHING positive can come out of it. Unless Mr 16 Y is trying to martyr himself or something.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:41:01 AM by WolfWay »
<3

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4919 on: December 03, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »