Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1249408 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4995 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »
Not sure if this counts as PD, as the person is gone already, but surely there should have been more oversight.

We have a huge back-end website where client companies send referrals for customers to us. Nearly every single of our 100+ client company base has its own unique website, all maintained on the main website. It's how we get a great deal of our referrals.

As of December 1st, our ownership of the domain expired. All of the notifications of the expiration of the domain went to a person who no longer works with our company. Nobody knew that the domain was set to expire until today.

Today was also the go-live date for one of our newest client companies. So now we have to tell them on their first day (and every single other client company) that we can't accept referrals through this method until it's fixed. Which is a process that usually takes 72 hours through the web hosting company. Luckily we managed to work with them and get it fixed as of 10:00 AM local time, but that's still something that you'd think someone would keep track of.

www.microsoft.com expired once.  A nice guy bought it and then just wanted back the money he paid.  But, he did frame the certificate from the domain company saying that he was the owner of microsoft.com

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4996 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Our office manager lacks the patience or attention to detail required to check her outgoing email messages for proper grammar/spelling/legible words. This is the third time in a week!

Shalamar

« Reply #4997 on: December 03, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
A local politician might have committed PD recently.  The sad thing is, he probably really did have good intentions:

'Infidel atheists' comment was misrepresented:  Pallister.

The short version is that, while on camera, Mr. Pallister said "I want to wish everyone a really, really merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah, all the holidays -- all you infidel atheists out there, I want to wish you the very best also.  I don't know what you celebrate during the holiday season, I myself celebrate the birth of Christ, but it's your choice, and I respect your choice.  If you want to celebrate nothing, and just get together with friends, that's good, too. All the best."

The trouble is (as I see it) right now is that he's basically saying "I'm sorry you were offended by my remark"; i.e. the famous non-apology.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Professional Darwinism
« Reply #4998 on: December 03, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

I work in an adult oriented kid friendly store, adults looking at clothes, with alot of kids running around. My (former) co-worker referred to kids as cr@tch fruit. Usually when she was off duty. Well, she slipped up one day and told a customer to "keep her bratty little cr@tch fruit from running around." The customer she said that too was our new DM. Co-worker was fired 2 days later.

Even overlooking the insult to the woman's children, I think the basic rule is that you should not say "cr@tch" to a customer unless you are currently measuring them for the lower half of a suit of clothing.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

greencat

« Reply #4999 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
I hope I witnessed professional darwinism in action.  A manager in another department had the following heavily paraphrased exchange with a lead from another team and the boss that is over both the manager's team and the other team.

Other team lead:  We need this thing from your team, and it needs to do this certain thing for us in this certain way, so we can do our jobs later on down the line.
Manager:  So I'm going to have my team do this thing this way.  It will do (something entirely different than what the other team asked for), like you guys wanted.
Other team lead: No, we need it to work the way we asked for originally, because otherwise we won't be able to do our jobs.
Manager: But we don't want you guys to be able to do that thing.  We need to work together to document why we can't do this thing.  Can't we all get along while we don't do this thing?
Big boss:  Do the thing the way they asked for it, because that's the way the thing works.
Manager: (and this part is NOT paraphrased.) Fine.

Yes, he responded to his boss like a sulking teenager.  In an email that went to myself, a few of his subordinates, the entire other team that made the request, and his boss.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5000 on: December 03, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as PD or not.  I work in a government office.  The Secretary does not get along with the Clerk.  Secretary is Clerk's immediate supervisor.  Clerk is insubordinate, late almost every day, incompetent, lazy, and produces embarrassingly poor quality work.  Secretary is too lazy to write up Clerk, so she decided to retire instead.  She will be gone the last day of the year.  Clerk thinks she is a shoo-in to be the next Secretary.

I hope not.  If management picks Clerk as the next Secretary, I'll be looking for another job.  Partly because Clerk is physically intimidating when crossed (she scares the beejeses out of me) and partly because, if management thinks she's the best person for the job, they are incompetent, too. :-[
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5001 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Ugh, MK. That sounds like something that would happen at my work. We are in the process of hiring for three positions and so far, none of the 200 applicants are even close to meeting the minimum requirements (which are pretty low). I have to train all of them! Spring is not going to be fun.  ::)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5002 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
Just a brief look at ranking before I start this on-going train wreck...

From top to bottom:
Shift Commander*
Captain
Shift Leader*
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Officer

*The SC is a captain, but he is the captain over the daily operations of the entire facility but mostly watches one side of the facility.  The SL is a lieutenant, but he is the lieutenant over the daily operations of the other side of the facility.

A fellow officer in my department, upset at how the SL had handled a situation (in effect saying an offender could do something she had said he couldn't), sent the SL an e-mail that said something to the effect of, "If your staff wants to change the rules of my area, your staff can run my area."  Later that day, when the SL ran into her, she proceeded to literally raise her voice yell at and scold him, in front of a sergeant nonetheless.

When counseled by our (her and my) captain, she came crying to me that our captain told her whatever the SL and SC says goes and they have command over our areas, too, as they are responsible for the entire facility.  She has another meeting with our lieutenant and captain this week.  We'll see if she gets herself into more trouble.

The worst part?  When talking to her (read: listening to her) about her yelling at the SL, she told me that if our supervisors had taken care of the issue, it (her yelling) never would have happened.  Sadly, this is a known pattern in her behavior of her not taking responsibility for herself.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5003 on: December 03, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
the mind it boggles...I literally feel it wiggling in my head right now

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5004 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »
Mr 16 Years is throwing his toys out the cot.

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o What the heck is he trying to achieve by that?  Boss is joking about offering to sell popcorn to the event. I really don't want to be there for this drama.  I don't see how ANYTHING positive can come out of it. Unless Mr 16 Y is trying to martyr himself or something.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:41:01 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5005 on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:25 AM »

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5006 on: December 04, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »
Dear Job Applicant,

Please stop calling our office every day asking for feedback on your application, it is driving my staff nuts.   

Four weeks ago, when you left multiple messages in response to our ad, I did take the time out to call you.   As our ad is very specific as to what to submit, I do get annoyed when people call instead of submitting an application.  However, I am open minded so willing to screen and discuss the role with applicants regardless.   I thought we could discuss the role to see if it was a good fit for what you were looking for, to determine if it was worth you submitting your CV.   Instead, you spent the entire call interrogating me with bizarrely worded questions such as  "Which of the criterion are most critical for this position?" (hint: all of them, that's why they are the criterion!) and "What should the incumbent focus on in their application?"  instead of letting me get a word in edgewise.  I wasn't sure if you were an actual applicant or some kind of recruiter trying to 'steal' the role.  It was truly bizarre.   You seemed to want me to tell you exactly what to write in your application.  You seemed to think I was your mother or a high school career counsellor, rather than a potential employer.

You then waited a week before submitting a rambling covering letter that was 4 pages long.  Your CV meanwhile was 1 page showing 1 relevant position.   Naturally, I focused on the applicants who had plenty of relevant experience and submitted coherent, professional, succinct covering letters.   In fact, by the time you submitted your application we had already nearly finished interviewing, something you would have known if you had actually let me speak during our phone conversation.

You have just sent an email through asking for feedback so you can improve your covering letter for the next application.   I suggest you consult a career counselling service, as we are not one.   

For future reference, my time is very valuable.  I am not here to coach job applicants or help you in your career.   Treating me like a career counsellor does not endear you to us, particularly for a senior position where you are expected to work autonomously!   Your lack of respect for my time or my team's time does not make you somebody whose application we are interested in.   

Thanks,
Ceallach

Of course I didn't send this, it's just what I wanted to say.    ;)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Margo

« Reply #5007 on: December 04, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
Well, he or she did *ask* for feedback, perhaps you should send it... :-D

MissRose

« Reply #5008 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »
Well, he or she did *ask* for feedback, perhaps you should send it... :-D

I second that, it should be sent.  It is possible the applicant is doing that to others, not just the other poster.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #5009 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
Third, because I think it's something he/she should hear and they do not sound capable of getting polite hints. However, we all know that will only invite them to argue and keep the dialog going.

I'd opt for a succinct "You are not qualified for this position. I suggest you consult a career counselling service to help you. Please do not contact us again." lather rinse repeat if they call or email.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams