Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1339670 times)

Stormtreader

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5145 on: December 19, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
Yup, it wasnt that hed asked for a day off in his first few months, it was that hed asked for the day off that he was told specifically he couldnt have if he accepted this job. Its not as if christmas is a desirable day off just for him, im sure his coworkers would have quite liked to have it as well if it had been possible.

Stormtreader

« Reply #5146 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
Getting back to the thread topic, theres someone in my office who is slowly heading towards PD.
Its not the fact that he seems to purposely eat a diet to cause as much noxious gas as possible, its the fact he will seemingly happily do it noisily and obviously in a busy office, even while people are actually talking to him about work-related stuff.
I dont believe its any kind of medical issue but even if it is, for petes sake excuse yourself and go outside!

We are moving to a smaller office soon, and the office manager has already said that official words may need to be had if he continues in the new room.

Shalamar

« Reply #5147 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:11 AM »
Now I'm curious - what on earth is he eating?

I used to work with someone who noisily ate raw carrots at his desk all day.  I'm not talking the wee baby carrots, either - these were the big ones, unpeeled (blargh).   The crunching was really obnoxious.  He was let go eventually (not for that), and boy, it was a relief.

Stormtreader

« Reply #5148 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
Its beans on toast in the morning ive been told, although he was on some kind of onion-based diet for a while.

darling

« Reply #5149 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »
Getting back to the thread topic, theres someone in my office who is slowly heading towards PD.
Its not the fact that he seems to purposely eat a diet to cause as much noxious gas as possible, its the fact he will seemingly happily do it noisily and obviously in a busy office, even while people are actually talking to him about work-related stuff.
I dont believe its any kind of medical issue but even if it is, for petes sake excuse yourself and go outside!

We are moving to a smaller office soon, and the office manager has already said that official words may need to be had if he continues in the new room.

Sorry, but I just can't help myself... LOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Ginger G

« Reply #5150 on: December 19, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »

My now-retired former boss told me of a situation that occurred before I came to work at my current job.  It seems a lady in a certain department was unhappy with her job and coworkers.  She would deliberately eat certain foods with dire digestive effects and subsequently emit frequent and loud noxious fumes into the work environment.  After many complaints from her coworkers, my boss had to call a meeting with her.  She claimed she couldn't help it and had a medical condition but declined to provide any proof of such condition.  He told her it was disruptive to her coworkers and to try to tone it down and go to the bathroom if possible.  It continued unabated and she was eventually terminated.  I don't think that was the only reason, her attitude in general had a lot to do with it, but that was definitely one of the major factors. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5151 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
We have a clerk who is trying to commit PD, but her supervisor decided she would rather retire than go through the lengthy process of terminating a government employee who is not in her probationary period.  So we are losing our branch secretary and seem to be stuck with Ms. PD-Wannabee.  I overheard her supervisor yelling at her on the phone this morning saying she can't take vacation - she does not have any vacation leave accrued/available.  Then her supervisor made the mistake of saying she only had sick leave.  Ms. PD-Wannabee said she'll use sick leave because she's too tired to come in to work this morning, maybe later after she's slept some more.  ::)

The supervisor is taking off early every afternoon until she leaves at the end of this month.  The other clerk has vacation scheduled this afternoon which she requested long ago.  If Ms. PD-Wannabee oversleeps, we'll have engineers & managers manning the phones and greeting visitors. :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

SoCalVal

« Reply #5152 on: December 19, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
When he informed his employer he would not work Sundays moving forward, he decided his own fate.

I haven't seen any report that states this is the case. I read the statement from the pub that said a Sunday 'in the near future'. That might mean he asked for one Sunday off. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's no different to asking for a Wednesday off if you work in an office. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a day's holiday on one of your scheduled days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524499/Chef-Jim-Knight-sacked-demanding-Christmas-Day-hijacks-pubs-Twitter-account.html

From the article:
Landlord Steve Potts yesterday confirmed that Mr Knight was sacked for refusing to work on Christmas Day and on Sundays in the near future."

Mr Potts said: ‘When Jim, as head chef, informed me that he would not be working I was left with little choice but to end our arrangement. I had been quite clear with him when he started here that Sundays are our busiest days of the week and that all our chefs have to work that day.’

Not ONE Sunday, but Sundays (plural).

He also was told he'd be working Christmas then turned around after two months of employment and stated he wanted Christmas off.  Two months, he'd been working there two months and wanted Christmas off over the other chefs who had been working there longer.

He was also the *head* chef. I think that carries some weight. He's senior to the others.

He doesn't carry more weight than what the owner requires.

Sometimes, no matter how busy or how shorthanded you know you will be, it's best to let go the deadweight (and, yes, not so much Christmas but the statement about no longer working their busiest day of the week tells me he's deadweight). 

Again, I don't think this is what he said. He never said he wouldn't work any more Sundays. I'm not sure where people are getting that from - can you provide a source?

In the UK we 'accrue' paid holiday from the very first day of our employment. There is nothing to say that you can't take the two days you've accrued in your first month at the end of that first month, for example - and you will be paid for it.  Referring to the guy as 'deadweight' for  asking for holiday days after 2 months is really unfair. Because that isn't how it works here. I don't know what else I can say to get that across. People are basing their opinions of this guy against working practices in their own country and I find that really unfair.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524499/Chef-Jim-Knight-sacked-demanding-Christmas-Day-hijacks-pubs-Twitter-account.html

From the article:
Landlord Steve Potts yesterday confirmed that Mr Knight was sacked for refusing to work on Christmas Day and on Sundays in the near future."

Mr Potts said: ‘When Jim, as head chef, informed me that he would not be working I was left with little choice but to end our arrangement. I had been quite clear with him when he started here that Sundays are our busiest days of the week and that all our chefs have to work that day.’

Not ONE Sunday, but Sundays (plural).  I will, concede, however, that I am concluding Sundays for an indefinite period of time but, again, his employer didn't state just Sundays for December or December and January and so on (and he was already told he has to work Sundays).

I am going by the UK article quoting his UK employer so, yes, if someone agrees to something going into employment then turns around only two months later into the start of his job and is going against what his employer outlined, then I do consider that person deadweight because he just wasted everyone's time.  I didn't say he couldn't request ANY time off -- just not the time off his UK employer specifically stated at hire that he will have to work.  That's not going by US work culture; this is specifically by what his UK employer stated.

You keep stating everyone is misunderstanding you, but I think you are misunderstanding us in turn.  How am I going by US work culture if his UK employer is quoted as stating that this wasn't okay? (unless the Plough doesn't have a typical UK work environment for the culinary industry there, then I understand and will agree with what you are stating).

Anyway back on topic:

One of the supervisors in my area is allotted one administrative day per week and has to staff the other four days (her area is only budgeted for her to have one admin day per week).  She has gotten an unofficial written warning in recent months to cease the practice of giving herself admin days without preapproval or else be subject to official discipline (she gives herself admin days so she can sit in her office and watch videos all day -- no joke; one of my other supervisors has caught her doing this on multiple occasions).  She was good for a few months and just did it again last week.  I see official discipline in her future soon (she's already on thin ice and, in the past year, management has been cracking down on repeat offenders -- they just hadn't gotten to her yet because the bigger offenders were being handled first, for one, and two, she'd been behaving herself).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5153 on: December 19, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
I request that we move on from the pub/twitter topic before the thread is locked.

perpetua

« Reply #5154 on: December 19, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Firstly - don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail. It's a terrible rag :)

Secondly - Sundays may be their busiest day of the week but that does not mean that he should *never* be able to take a Sunday off or that asking for a Sunday off is somehow a terrible thing, in the same way that someone who works in an office is entitled to ask for a Tuesday or a Thursday off. I can't see any way that he could be possibly made to work every single Sunday until kingdom come. How would the man ever take a holiday if that was the case? He'd only ever be able to take 6 days at the most off at a time.

Quite possibly the establishment themselves are falling foul of some kind of employment law, but that's beyond the purview of this forum. Frankly, I don't have much sympathy for them: stating that someone must work *every single Sunday* sounds like terrible working conditions to me, again, in the same way that it would be if an office manager said "Your hours are Monday - Friday, and all our staff must be here on those days and you can never take any of those days off". That's just unworkable. What if someone calls in sick? If they don't have the staff cover, then they're not running their business correctly.

And with that, I'm done.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5155 on: December 19, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Gym teacher fired for being straight?

http://tinyurl.com/kec9pw4

???

I get the impression his supervisor doesn't like men.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:50:30 PM by Katana_Geldar »

faithlessone

« Reply #5156 on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »
The girl I posted about a few pages back?

A second-hand PD!

My BFF works for an advertising agency in London. They recently took on a new junior executive, who my BFF was supposed to train. Let's call her "Crystal".

According to Crystal's CV, she had a lot of basic experience in advertising, including a 9 month internship at one of the agency's competitors. Everything seemed to check out.

Apparently she is a complete nightmare. She doesn't have a very professional attitude - very loud, joking all the time. In her first two weeks, she had to be given 3 talks about dress code. Her time management skills are completely absent. She picks up some aspects of the job really quickly, but others have to be explained to her over and over again. Part of her job is to liaise with employees/clients in other countries, but she frequently grumbles about having to stay late or come in early to talk to them (time zone issues - this was all in the job description and contract that she agreed to). She has very poor spelling and grammar skills, making even more work for my BFF because a lot of what they do goes online to the public, and poor English doesn't reflect well on them or their client.

The tipping point came on Friday. She was supposed to have an hour-long meeting with the "big boss" (my BFF's boss's boss), to explain exactly how their biggest client's brand works / exactly what her job is going to entail once her three-month "training" period is over. Now, this guy is super busy. SUPER busy. For him to take an hour out of his schedule to talk to an employee three rungs below him is a big deal.

- Crystal was 10 minutes late.
- She put on lipstick during the meeting.
- She asked several questions about salary/benefits/expenses (not his area, and definitely not what the meeting was about, wasting time).
- After half-an-hour, she told him that she had loads of work to do, and she ought to get back to it.
- Then she just got up and left.

My BFF is pretty sure they're not going to be keeping her after this week!!!

She was given one last chance to buck up her ideas, and for a week or so, she looked like she understood she'd done wrong and was trying to make amends.

Yesterday, she was sent to pick up some promotional materials from a supplier, and she didn't return for five hours. Her phone had been switched off for the whole five hours, the supplier insisted that she had picked up the stuff within 20 minutes, and she was carrying some very suspicious shopping bags.

She is no longer employed by my BFF's company.

What a moron.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5157 on: December 19, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
Or as Bugs Bunny put it "what a maroon"...(crunchy carrot noises)....

Karma strikes...the lesson is...don't add personal holiday shopping to a company errand...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5158 on: December 19, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

Karma strikes...the lesson is...don't add personal holiday shopping to a company errand...

The lesson is not to be seen with your personal holiday shopping while running a company errand ;)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5159 on: December 19, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »

The lesson is not to be seen with your personal holiday shopping while running a company errand ;)
I agree, there is a subtle difference between the two.  For example, our relatively new cat still doesn't obey the house rules and stay off the kitchen counters.  I think I am training him not to jump up on the counters, just like I have every other cat with whom I shared a home.  But the lesson the cats learn is, "Don't let Midnight catch me on the counter." >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius