Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1415514 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5235 on: January 08, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
No, just a trainer. I am always happy to see people pursue other positions. I have no authority in this matter.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5236 on: January 12, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
Here's my tip to job applicants:   for a relatively senior level role, the first impression you want to make on the hiring manager really isn't sending an email asking whether "our requirement for a clean drivers license mean no traffic violations or does it mean no drink driving charges?"        I know they just don't want to waste time applying if they're ineligible.   I know that she's probably a really lovely lady who is just worried a couple of parking tickets would be an issue, but when I read that all I hear is alarm bells.....  Ideally I don't want candidates with traffic violations or drink driving charges, so implying you have either isn't wise!

I recommend people in that situation apply, and mention it an interview if they are concerned they don't meet the requirements.      In most cases it just means you are legally allowed to drive, and not likely to lose your drivers license anytime soon (e.g. not got too many demerit points or about to be taken to court on driving charges etc).

But I will not be pursuing this candidate further - I'll pursue the people who actually submitted applications instead.   

This seems rather unfair. Let's say she has one ticket for going 10 mph over the limit. You say you don't care if she has a ticket or two, and yet you're dropper her as a candidate because she asked for clarification as to what you meant by "clean" driving record. This puzzles me. If you don't care about tickets, why are you penalizing her for asking what you mean?

A lawyer may be able to tell the candidate what they think "clean" means, but it is not necessarily what the prospective employer means.

Yes, I do agree it's *potentially* unfair.    I would argue that the hiring process isn't necessarily fair though.    It's not my job to hold the hand of applicants and walk them through the process.     We are an organisation with limited resources, my job is to find a competent person with the skills & attributes necessary to do the job.   (Obviously we adhere to all legislative requirements, we don't discriminate etc, but that doesn't make the process always "fair"). 

I have multiple good candidates who have supplied what I requested - a covering letter and a CV.    From another perspective, is it fair to *those* candidates if somebody who doesn't follow the process wastes my time on conversations discussing their application and getting special assistance?    I guess we could debate it all day long.  But the point is, I don't need to spend my time on that candidate, and quite frankly she didn't show a great deal of common sense in the wording of her enquiry.   The answer to her question is "neither are ok".   I want somebody who is a safe driver, who follows the law.    If she'd had a the odd parking ticket that wouldn't come up on any screens or checks so is irrelevant.  But if she's enquiring then it's likely more than that.    I don't know, but I don't want to open a can of worms to find out!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Library Dragon

« Reply #5237 on: January 12, 2014, 09:48:19 PM »
I appreciate the comments. I was hoping she would be interviewed to give her the chance to show that she has the skills needed. Also, since this is a different employee class than what position she has had, it would help her to know what they expect.

We have done this and it turned out well.  The employee presented a professional side that one of the interviewers hadn't expected. She has done an extremely good job and has been recognized for it by others outside the library.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5238 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
There is a temp in my new office who seems to be trying to commit PD as quickly as possible!  This may be the first time I could honestly say my flabber is ghasted. 

She started last Wednesday, so she's officially been on the job for 4 days.  In that amount of time, she's had personal calls come through twice, had her daughter come up to the office once with her lunch, made personal calls during work hours at least five times, started two (and maybe more) arguments with our boss about how things should be done in our office vs how they are done, complained to me multiple times about stupid things like why the boss didn't go out and buy her a new stapler when she started and just today sat around for half an hour doing nothing because "I didn't think anyone would care". 

I don't think she's going to last very long - and she's expressed surprise and dismay a couple of times that her previous temp jobs haven't worked out well. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5239 on: January 13, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
Can we get a permanent wall installed on this thread ::)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5240 on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
?? ???
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5241 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
?? ???

For banging one's head against.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5242 on: January 13, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5243 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:12 PM »
LOL :D

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5244 on: January 14, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »
?? ???

D'oh

A brick wall is traditional, but I'll vote for one of those nice shiny polished granite slabs.  Okay?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5245 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »
?? ???

D'oh

A brick wall is traditional, but I'll vote for one of those nice shiny polished granite slabs.  Okay?

I don't know, I think granite is too pretty to waste on PD candidates

snowfire

« Reply #5246 on: January 14, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
But it is easier to clean the blood off of granite.  >:D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5247 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
But it is easier to clean the blood off of granite.  >:D

Marble.  It's pretty, it's hard, and it's not the least bit porous.  ;D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5248 on: January 14, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
It should be a glass wall, so we can still read the thread while banging our heads in frustration.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5249 on: January 14, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Glass brick - with the new coating that sheds all fluids, so that nothing would leave a mess on the wall.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?