News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 09:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4292563 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5160 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
For those who don't know, I'm a corrections officer...

In a month's time, a coworker of mine did the following:
Handed a radio battery to an inmate and told him to take it to another officer who was out of sight of the PD candidate.

Did the same thing with a drink.

Left his Kevlar gloves unattended; they were never recovered.

Did the same thing with his coat a week later; his captain confiscated it but he didn't know it was his captain who took it.

Checked out a pistol having not kept his qualifications up to date. (This is MAJOR.)

The worst part is, he is by no means new. He's been an officer for probably the better part of a decade if not longer.

O.o oh... I just... there is no words for this..

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #5161 on: January 17, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »

Handed a radio battery to an inmate and told him to take it to another officer who was out of sight of the PD candidate.

Did the same thing with his coat a week later; his captain confiscated it but he didn't know it was his captain who took it.

Checked out a pistol having not kept his qualifications up to date. (This is MAJOR.)

The worst part is, he is by no means new. He's been an officer for probably the better part of a decade if not longer.

There are words for that - but they all involve something along the lines of "is he mentally ill, physically ill, or just getting stupidly complacent?"
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Mental Magpie

« Reply #5162 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »

There are words for that - but they all involve something along the lines of "is he mentally ill, physically ill, or just getting stupidly complacent?"

Stupidly complacent.  He's a lazy worker as it is.

MrTango

« Reply #5163 on: January 17, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »

The thing is, being a Corrections Officer is one of those jobs where any of those three should be grounds for automatic disqualification.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #5164 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »

The thing is, being a Corrections Officer is one of those jobs where any of those three should be grounds for automatic disqualification.

When the last occurred, the warden told him to not come back until after Christmas.  He recently returned, but I don't know what is going on in the works.  Because this is a state job, I'm sure a lot of hoops need to be jumped through before dismissal can occur.  At the very least, though, I'm sure they have taken disciplinary action, which includes things such as docking pay and so forth.

AuntieA

• Now a great-Auntie x2!
« Reply #5165 on: January 18, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
My BF was a federal (Canadian) CO for 29 years before retiring. Any of those offenses would definitely result in a fine (taken from one's pay), termination, and possibly criminal charges.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

MissRose

« Reply #5166 on: January 23, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5167 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
Mr 16Years rather put his foot in it.

He's often on his phone during meetings (I don't mean, he's talking on it, I mean he's typing on it, like he's messaging someone).

A couple of weeks ago, during a meeting of the team, he was once again fiddling on his phone instead of paying attention. Senior (whom he absolutely loathes) watched him for 10 solid minutes and he never once looked up from his phone. So she flat out said "Please put away your phone and pay attention". He put the phone away, but he was staring daggers at her for the rest of the meeting.

Right after that meeting was another meeting that they were both in. Senior arrived a little late and upon arriving, opened up her laptop to retrieve the template for a certain type of document, so that she could compare the document up for review with the template to make sure it matched. Mr 16Years saw her open her laptop and immediately announced in a snotty tone "Please put away your laptop and pay attention". Senior looked him right in the eye and gave him a verbal smackdown of note.

After that meeting, Senior dropped by the HR office to let them know that there might be another complaint coming their way about hostile work environment or some such from Mr 16Years. The head of HR just looked gobsmacked, as Mr 16Years had not 5 minutes before going to the first meeting, been in a meeting with HR about his excessive phone usage during meetings. I guess he was on his phone texting his lawyer about suing the company.

Mr 16Years was in a sullen rage for the rest of the day, and is still sulking days later.
<3

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5168 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
Tell me the smell of popcorn is wafting through your building WolfWay

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5169 on: January 27, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
Tell me the smell of popcorn is wafting through your building WolfWay
Senior pulled me aside in private to do her "I got to be a [feeemaaaale dooooog]!" dance (she says that it's nice to be able to let her inner female dog out every now and then on someone who royally deserves it). Everyone else is just wanting all the sniping and tension in the meetings to please please end already. I fortunately missed those two particular meetings but I was in another tense one a couple of weeks ago. <shudder>
<3

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5170 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »
Yikes, WolfWay!  I misread your post as "my 16yo" and thought "wow, that's an impressively snotty attitude for a teenager to have - hope he grows out of that!"  And then I figured it out and just wow, I'm amazed this guy has any work history at all.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5171 on: January 28, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
Mr. 16 yrs doesn't have the maturity of the average 16 yo. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5172 on: January 28, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Acts of Gord http://www.actsofgord.com/ - it's an old (but still extant) website telling the tales of Gord, a game store owner, who apparently had a lot of very interesting customers. Many of the tales are not e-Hell approved (and may not be safe for work), but they are generally quite amusing. Especially when he and his staff do things like fill a game console shell with completely defective parts (and a snarky note) and set it out as thief bait.

This tale, from Not Always Right, has Thief Bait intersecting with Professional Darwinism in a rather spectacular way. http://notalwaysworking.com/box-of-stolen-stupid/33571 Short version - game store staff, with an empty game console box on their hands, fill it with water bottles and a snarky note, leave it in a bag, and wait for someone to steal it. Next day, they tell another supervisor about it, after the bag had vanished. Come to find out, unknowing supervisor had told a friend to "just take it" - yep, he was encouraging theft from his own store! Not only that, but it seems he'd been doing rather a bit of stealing, and was fired.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5173 on: January 28, 2014, 02:51:43 PM »
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Acts of Gord http://www.actsofgord.com/ - it's an old (but still extant) website telling the tales of Gord, a game store owner, who apparently had a lot of very interesting customers. Many of the tales are not e-Hell approved (and may not be safe for work), but they are generally quite amusing. Especially when he and his staff do things like fill a game console shell with completely defective parts (and a snarky note) and set it out as thief bait.

This tale, from Not Always Right, has Thief Bait intersecting with Professional Darwinism in a rather spectacular way. http://notalwaysworking.com/box-of-stolen-stupid/33571 Short version - game store staff, with an empty game console box on their hands, fill it with water bottles and a snarky note, leave it in a bag, and wait for someone to steal it. Next day, they tell another supervisor about it, after the bag had vanished. Come to find out, unknowing supervisor had told a friend to "just take it" - yep, he was encouraging theft from his own store! Not only that, but it seems he'd been doing rather a bit of stealing, and was fired.

Wow.... I hadn't thought about Acts of Gord in *years*.  Thank you!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #5174 on: January 29, 2014, 04:41:57 AM »
It's been two years, so I think enough time has passed for me to write this safely.

I've been working retail on and off for 25 years. Started out as a lowly Thursday night and Saturday teenager selling computers back in the dark ages when Amiga and Commodore where the rage (yes, when dinosaurs ruled the earth) and have had many jobs since then.

One I had for a while was as console person at a booze seller. This was a national chain, and I was at a store locally to me, so almost all the other employees were locals too.

Now, the suburb I live in has a reputation as being a ghetto. It's where all the cities undesirables were sent as they were moved out of other places, as well as being housing commission estates for low-incomes, but it's also the meeting point of city and country. So all this comes into play when you're working retail here. Unfortunately, as with all booze sellers, I used to get a lot of local idiots as customers. I can deal with that. You smile, chat, make them laugh, and it's all easy. What I didn't expect was a fellow employee to become so spiteful that I not only went to HR, but that they offered money and sex to other employees to have me killed!

We were hired about the same time in October, to be trained for the xmas rush. "Sandy" was older than me and very rough around the edges. She'd done time for drugs in the past, but swore she was clean. That was probably true, as I never saw her appearing to be under the influence of anything ever. But it was also well known that she still had bikie connections and knew several of the owners / managers of local rough watering holes. Well, again, no worries there. Everyone knows someone, and it might lead to increased trade. We made it through xmas and it became obvious that Sandy hated the console but enjoyed floor work, while I was more skilled with customers and only knew about spirits.

So, I ended up with a regular 4 days a week shifts afternoon to close while she often had opens to afternoons, but our paths did cross at least twice a week. I would sometimes even give her lifts home, as she lived closer to me. But about March, she began to act very angry about me. Little things like occasionally telling me to 'get stuffed' when asking her advice for a customer, or being shirty about something. I put it down to an occasional bad mood and got on with working. After all, everyone has them, right?

Then it began to get rude. The name calling became constant, as did the swearing at me. She also began swearing about me to other staff, all of whom at first thought I'd done something to Sandy. When it became apparent I hadn't, they began coming up to me and asking what was going on. In only a few weeks, the venom had gotten quite bad. Bad enough that I would go home and vomit in the shower from the stress of it. And as I said, I've worked this type of job for a long time, so I have a fairly tough skin.

The final straw came when one day I was helping a customer. As they wanted to know about wine and I didn't have the knowledge, I asked Sandy if she could help the customer. There was also a manager wandering the store, doing the usual Wednesday night counts for ordering the next day. Sandy went into a rant of sotto vocce abuse about me while she scuffed over, led the customer over to the wine and helped her pick something out, and then slouched off.

The customer was obviously shaken, and after making sure that Sandy was out of hearing (over by the cider wall), asked me if this was normal. I shrugged and said that yes, it was. She lowered her voice even more and asked if a manager was available; I pointed to the person standing in the wine dept and said 'yep, there she is.' The customer raised her eyebrows, since the manager couldn't possibly have failed to hear what was said, thanked me profusely for being a nice and excellent console person, and left the store.

Next day, I came in early so I could 'get in the zone', so to speak, to have the two duty managers ask me what I thought had happened the night before. I said that nothing unusual, Sandy was her usual angry, swearing self, but that I had completed all my tasks and behaved fine as far as I knew. Turned out the customer went home and sent an email that gave explicit information that she was not happy about how I'd been treated and did the company think it was normal for their staff to treat each other like this?

I ended up having to write a many page document of what had been happening, which was sent off to HR. The HR person flew in the next week and did an interview with me and and then with Sandy. When it was reviewed, Sandy was shown the door the next day. That night, I found out that because of my complaint, they'd reviewed security footage for the past 2 months, and had not only found that I'd told the truth (if anything, I underplayed what she'd said and done), but that Sandy had been helping her mates steal thousands of dollars of booze. She'd arrange for them to come in and buy stock for their pubs, and when they'd come to the console, she'd let me log in, then kick me off the console and put them through. But she'd only scan about half their purchase in, she was deliberately missing stuff.

Sandy was VERY unhappy that I'd a) fought back, b) lost her her job, and c) now got her facing theft charges, as she was charged with 'stealing as a servant', something considered much more serious than just plain theft. After she'd left, one of the assistant managers complimented me on staying cool and calm about it, told me that I'd been perfectly behaved the day the interviews had been done and this was a good thing as if either of us had started anything we would have been terminated on the spot. And also asked if I hadn't been worried about her offering to arrange sex for them if one of the stock boys would lend her his dads rifle.

I said that she couldn't be serious about it. But apparently Sandy was; she'd hated me that much that she wanted me dead.

The manager who'd been on duty the night the customer was in was lucky to keep her job. Turns out Sandy tried to claim she was in on the booze thefts so she'd be fired too. Which explained some of the questions I'd been asked about the manager, but I'd said she was a kind person who might have been a bit scared of Sandy, and as it was her first manager role, she probably hadn't been trained in how to deal with her type.

Sandy never reappeared in the store and I haven't seen her since. But from a distance, it's interesting to see how someone could go from just being rough and ready to very aggressive to a single person, and not for any reason that we ever found out. She just really didn't like me.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.