Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376599 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5250 on: January 14, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
Glass brick - with the new coating that sheds all fluids, so that nothing would leave a mess on the wall.

Win!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5251 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
For those who don't know, I'm a corrections officer...

In a month's time, a coworker of mine did the following:
Handed a radio battery to an inmate and told him to take it to another officer who was out of sight of the PD candidate.

Did the same thing with a drink.

Left his Kevlar gloves unattended; they were never recovered.

Did the same thing with his coat a week later; his captain confiscated it but he didn't know it was his captain who took it.

Checked out a pistol having not kept his qualifications up to date. (This is MAJOR.)

The worst part is, he is by no means new. He's been an officer for probably the better part of a decade if not longer.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5252 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

Handed a radio battery to an inmate and told him to take it to another officer who was out of sight of the PD candidate.

Did the same thing with his coat a week later; his captain confiscated it but he didn't know it was his captain who took it.

Checked out a pistol having not kept his qualifications up to date. (This is MAJOR.)

The worst part is, he is by no means new. He's been an officer for probably the better part of a decade if not longer.

O.o oh... I just... there is no words for this..

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5253 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »

There are words for that - but they all involve something along the lines of "is he mentally ill, physically ill, or just getting stupidly complacent?"
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5254 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »

There are words for that - but they all involve something along the lines of "is he mentally ill, physically ill, or just getting stupidly complacent?"

Stupidly complacent.  He's a lazy worker as it is.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrTango

« Reply #5255 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »

The thing is, being a Corrections Officer is one of those jobs where any of those three should be grounds for automatic disqualification.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5256 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »

The thing is, being a Corrections Officer is one of those jobs where any of those three should be grounds for automatic disqualification.

When the last occurred, the warden told him to not come back until after Christmas.  He recently returned, but I don't know what is going on in the works.  Because this is a state job, I'm sure a lot of hoops need to be jumped through before dismissal can occur.  At the very least, though, I'm sure they have taken disciplinary action, which includes things such as docking pay and so forth.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #5257 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
My BF was a federal (Canadian) CO for 29 years before retiring. Any of those offenses would definitely result in a fine (taken from one's pay), termination, and possibly criminal charges.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

MissRose

« Reply #5258 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5259 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
Mr 16Years rather put his foot in it.

He's often on his phone during meetings (I don't mean, he's talking on it, I mean he's typing on it, like he's messaging someone).

A couple of weeks ago, during a meeting of the team, he was once again fiddling on his phone instead of paying attention. Senior (whom he absolutely loathes) watched him for 10 solid minutes and he never once looked up from his phone. So she flat out said "Please put away your phone and pay attention". He put the phone away, but he was staring daggers at her for the rest of the meeting.

Right after that meeting was another meeting that they were both in. Senior arrived a little late and upon arriving, opened up her laptop to retrieve the template for a certain type of document, so that she could compare the document up for review with the template to make sure it matched. Mr 16Years saw her open her laptop and immediately announced in a snotty tone "Please put away your laptop and pay attention". Senior looked him right in the eye and gave him a verbal smackdown of note.

After that meeting, Senior dropped by the HR office to let them know that there might be another complaint coming their way about hostile work environment or some such from Mr 16Years. The head of HR just looked gobsmacked, as Mr 16Years had not 5 minutes before going to the first meeting, been in a meeting with HR about his excessive phone usage during meetings. I guess he was on his phone texting his lawyer about suing the company.

Mr 16Years was in a sullen rage for the rest of the day, and is still sulking days later.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5260 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
Tell me the smell of popcorn is wafting through your building WolfWay

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5261 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
Tell me the smell of popcorn is wafting through your building WolfWay
Senior pulled me aside in private to do her "I got to be a [feeemaaaale dooooog]!" dance (she says that it's nice to be able to let her inner female dog out every now and then on someone who royally deserves it). Everyone else is just wanting all the sniping and tension in the meetings to please please end already. I fortunately missed those two particular meetings but I was in another tense one a couple of weeks ago. <shudder>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5262 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »
Yikes, WolfWay!  I misread your post as "my 16yo" and thought "wow, that's an impressively snotty attitude for a teenager to have - hope he grows out of that!"  And then I figured it out and just wow, I'm amazed this guy has any work history at all.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5263 on: January 28, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »
Mr. 16 yrs doesn't have the maturity of the average 16 yo. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5264 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Acts of Gord http://www.actsofgord.com/ - it's an old (but still extant) website telling the tales of Gord, a game store owner, who apparently had a lot of very interesting customers. Many of the tales are not e-Hell approved (and may not be safe for work), but they are generally quite amusing. Especially when he and his staff do things like fill a game console shell with completely defective parts (and a snarky note) and set it out as thief bait.

This tale, from Not Always Right, has Thief Bait intersecting with Professional Darwinism in a rather spectacular way. http://notalwaysworking.com/box-of-stolen-stupid/33571 Short version - game store staff, with an empty game console box on their hands, fill it with water bottles and a snarky note, leave it in a bag, and wait for someone to steal it. Next day, they tell another supervisor about it, after the bag had vanished. Come to find out, unknowing supervisor had told a friend to "just take it" - yep, he was encouraging theft from his own store! Not only that, but it seems he'd been doing rather a bit of stealing, and was fired.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture