Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1370460 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5550 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:50 PM »
Yarnspinner, surely with all your experience you shouldn't have trouble finding another job in a place you'd like to live? You deserve to work in a happy place.

Thank you, Amara.  All my coworkers deserve that.  I haven't been looking lately, partly because I am lazy and have gotten apathetic (there, I said it and I feel better) and partly because I am pushing 60 and while we all "know" it is illegal to discriminate by age, it is done all the time under the guise of needing "this particular skill" that doesn't necessarily amount to a hill of beans. 

I have one friend who keeps current with all the technologies, knows how to wrestle a computer to the ground and make it do what she wants and rebuilds them from scratch....she has been interviewing at least once a week every week for two years solid.  Another coworker and I applied for the same job...I didn't even get a rejection letter, he was told he was the best interview they had had...until they gave it to someone else just out of school.  And he was too exhausted himself to complain.

To be honest, a lot of us are burned out from dealing with people who live in alternate realities...we all think we might as well be greeters at Walmart!  ^_^    I'm looking at the things I love to do and trying to figure out where I can make some sort of living at it, even if it just means shilling at a crafts store.  The saga continues!

Not sure if this is helpful, but last year I paid for my resume to be professionally re-written.  I have been using a functional resume for several years now, but I had always written it myself.  I don't know if it was the confidence boost or the actual resume itself, but I applied to several jobs in different industries and got a lot of interest and quite a few callbacks and interviews.

If you know that you may want to change industries a functional resume is a great way to lead with your skills and accomplishments first.

How did you find the person/service to do that?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5551 on: March 17, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
Yarnspinner, surely with all your experience you shouldn't have trouble finding another job in a place you'd like to live? You deserve to work in a happy place.

Thank you, Amara.  All my coworkers deserve that.  I haven't been looking lately, partly because I am lazy and have gotten apathetic (there, I said it and I feel better) and partly because I am pushing 60 and while we all "know" it is illegal to discriminate by age, it is done all the time under the guise of needing "this particular skill" that doesn't necessarily amount to a hill of beans. 

I have one friend who keeps current with all the technologies, knows how to wrestle a computer to the ground and make it do what she wants and rebuilds them from scratch....she has been interviewing at least once a week every week for two years solid.  Another coworker and I applied for the same job...I didn't even get a rejection letter, he was told he was the best interview they had had...until they gave it to someone else just out of school.  And he was too exhausted himself to complain.

To be honest, a lot of us are burned out from dealing with people who live in alternate realities...we all think we might as well be greeters at Walmart!  ^_^    I'm looking at the things I love to do and trying to figure out where I can make some sort of living at it, even if it just means shilling at a crafts store.  The saga continues!

Not sure if this is helpful, but last year I paid for my resume to be professionally re-written.  I have been using a functional resume for several years now, but I had always written it myself.  I don't know if it was the confidence boost or the actual resume itself, but I applied to several jobs in different industries and got a lot of interest and quite a few callbacks and interviews.

If you know that you may want to change industries a functional resume is a great way to lead with your skills and accomplishments first.

How did you find the person/service to do that?

the internet :)  No really! I knew that I had gone as far as I could in rewriting my resume and that I was not being considered for jobs I should have been considered for.  I also went back and looked at previous versions of my resume and realized that while I had added things here and there, the actual look and basic information of my resume had not changed in 2 years. 

So I put on my big girl pants and realized that I was not doing myself any favors by holding on to a resume that was 4 years old.  I did do my research and interviewed several services before choosing.

In general
  • They should either be a certified resume writer or be in the field you want to move into
  • They should offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee (yes this does mean unlimited rewrites).  A good service will get it 80-90% right and then you'll need a few tweaks here and there.  If not, you should really not bother with the company
  • They should want to talk to you about what it is you are looking for in your next position.  Most good companies will have an online submission form but they will also have their writer schedule a phone/in person/skype chat with you.
  • You should talk to your resume writer  ;)  don't rely on written communication only.  A good service will ask you questions that will help them craft a good resume for you
  • Ask for samples and google them.  No one is going to put a negative testimonial on their website.  But the internet will reveal all

I paid ~300 for a brand new resume, a linked in profile rewrite, and an industry specific writer.  My writer also threw in a cover letter at no additional cost to me as well
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:18:31 AM by PastryGoddess »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5552 on: March 17, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »
I dealt with someone yesterday who is a PD candidate for sure. 

Background: my senior citizen parents (and 1 of them has a heart issue) have been having phone line issues.  They have to resort to using my dad's cell phone which neither are fond of at all.  My mother was told by several different people that on Friday, someone would be out to fix the line issue but no one came out at all.  My mother emphasized the fact about her husband's health issue as well. This could fall in the not shopping there section too. /end background

My mother got on the phone with yet another person who said to her that someone is NOT scheduled to dispatch on Friday, it will be some time on Saturday between 8am to 6pm.  My mother repeated herself several times with the promise made by other agents that Friday was the day.  I took the cell phone from my mother who is obviously NOT happy and introduced myself then said to her: my parents are seniors, my dad has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in a rest home that knows no other way to reach her daughter.  She was promised a Friday date dispatch.  Please place your MANAGER on the phone now.  The woman said I am a manager. I again repeated the statement and request for a manager.  She again denied me the request.  I explained to her I work for another carrier servicing business customers (but did not tell her I know others of various levels in the field for different companies), and if a customer asks for my manager, I get one I do not flat out refuse.  I admit I was getting a bit snippy with her at this point but remaining as calm as possible.   She again refused to get me the manager then she hung up on me.

I asked my mother for the number to ring back.  I have had it.  I know I do not get along with my mother at times but having their landline working is important to them.  During my 15 minute wait on their cell phone, I texted on my phone my best friend who works for a UK telecom then went to Twitter to post a summary of my experiences with the carrier.  I then got a new person, explained the situation as calmly as possible, the person understood but could not help then said I will transfer you to the correct group.  I had another 10 minute wait then got the new person in the correct group, explained things yet again, and they said there was NO way to get someone that day and no way to guarantee they would get an expedite as it was with a group of dispatchers/agents that assist people who have issues like my parents.  But at least the 2nd person was much more polite to me.  My tweets also paid off, I messaged the details back as requested - I know the power of social media even though my parents do not go online (beyond my mother's kindle connecting wirelessly to give her the daily bible readings).  My friend was at work so he did not respond as fast to me but gave a few suggestions too.

Miss Rose, you have my respect and admiration.  I hope those issues are reconciled FAST.

Yes good work escalating the issue, it sounds as though there are some procedural problems they need to look into.   I do wonder though if perhaps for logistical reasons they really can't get a tech out there on the Friday - perhaps their tech workforce is unexpectedly low due to an emergency (somebody is off sick, their grandma died, there's been an even bigger more urgent case elsewhere they can't pull anybody off).    That doesn't excuse the lady hanging up on you, or the fact that they let you down originally after saying they could do Friday.  But it sounds like now they really, really can't do Friday for whatever reason which is probably completely outside of the control of the people you are talking to.   I would definitely be laying a complaint with the company about the misinformation initially, but I personally wouldn't keep pushing for something they are saying they can't do.  It kind of ends up belonging in harry potter territory.   I personally feel that beyond explaining the urgency and asking again if they're sure there's nothing they can do, it's best to accept that they're probably not lying.    I mean, if it were me in the call centre, and there was a tech available, I would be assigning the tech in order to get the customer off the phone!  Not spending ages arguing with them about it.   So I doubt they were just telling you "no" for fun.
Do you have the equivalent of a US state's Public Services Commission?  A PSC regulates public utilities (gas, electric, telephone, water, and sewage disposal companies.)

We were constantly losing our landline service whenever it rained, despite SonIL#2 actually working for said telecom.  SIL2 said to call the Maryland PSC the next time Verizon tried to give us the runaround.  Sure enough, it rained again and we lost our dial tone.  Verizon tried to give us a repair date that was 10 days out, because "We just don't have anyone sooner."  I called the MD PSC as soon as I hung up from that call, and do you know what?  They miraculously found a repairman who could come out that afternoon. 

Not that it lasted very long.  As usual, the problem recurred the next time it rained, and we said some bad words and called our cable provider.  They were very happy to bundle our TV, cable, and phone (and it saved us money to boot.)  When they came out to hook us up, they found the problems where water was getting into the system and fixed all 4 of them.  Would something like that be available to your parents, Miss Rose?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MissRose

« Reply #5553 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
I dealt with someone yesterday who is a PD candidate for sure. 

Background: my senior citizen parents (and 1 of them has a heart issue) have been having phone line issues.  They have to resort to using my dad's cell phone which neither are fond of at all.  My mother was told by several different people that on Friday, someone would be out to fix the line issue but no one came out at all.  My mother emphasized the fact about her husband's health issue as well. This could fall in the not shopping there section too. /end background

My mother got on the phone with yet another person who said to her that someone is NOT scheduled to dispatch on Friday, it will be some time on Saturday between 8am to 6pm.  My mother repeated herself several times with the promise made by other agents that Friday was the day.  I took the cell phone from my mother who is obviously NOT happy and introduced myself then said to her: my parents are seniors, my dad has heart issues, my mother has a 90 year old mother in a rest home that knows no other way to reach her daughter.  She was promised a Friday date dispatch.  Please place your MANAGER on the phone now.  The woman said I am a manager. I again repeated the statement and request for a manager.  She again denied me the request.  I explained to her I work for another carrier servicing business customers (but did not tell her I know others of various levels in the field for different companies), and if a customer asks for my manager, I get one I do not flat out refuse.  I admit I was getting a bit snippy with her at this point but remaining as calm as possible.   She again refused to get me the manager then she hung up on me.

I asked my mother for the number to ring back.  I have had it.  I know I do not get along with my mother at times but having their landline working is important to them.  During my 15 minute wait on their cell phone, I texted on my phone my best friend who works for a UK telecom then went to Twitter to post a summary of my experiences with the carrier.  I then got a new person, explained the situation as calmly as possible, the person understood but could not help then said I will transfer you to the correct group.  I had another 10 minute wait then got the new person in the correct group, explained things yet again, and they said there was NO way to get someone that day and no way to guarantee they would get an expedite as it was with a group of dispatchers/agents that assist people who have issues like my parents.  But at least the 2nd person was much more polite to me.  My tweets also paid off, I messaged the details back as requested - I know the power of social media even though my parents do not go online (beyond my mother's kindle connecting wirelessly to give her the daily bible readings).  My friend was at work so he did not respond as fast to me but gave a few suggestions too.

Miss Rose, you have my respect and admiration.  I hope those issues are reconciled FAST.

Thank you Yarnspinner.  :)

They got resolved on Saturday thankfully.  My mother called me to tell me it was an issue with the ATT box outside.  Of course, after I also made some tweets and FB postings, I am sure that helped them too as my parents are not tech savvy at all.

MissRose

« Reply #5554 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »
Miss Rose, I don't know if this will help, but is there a way to get your parents on a priority list for repairs? When my sister was growing up, my parents were able to get put on some list that prioritised them for service repairs because she had epilepsy and they needed to be able to call for help. Does ATT have a similar list?

The rep I got back after getting hung up on said there is a medical expedite type thing and he even gave me the option to choose to get to that group.  I presume my parents' account is notated with that accordingly now after the recent issues.

alkira6

« Reply #5555 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
One of my co-workers is trying very hard to commit PD because she thinks she is bulletproof.  Right now is the time of year that excessing is happening in the district. This means that the projected need for teachers is being given to the principals based on enrollment from the first 20 school days of this year.  Most schools are losing people because of declining enrollment.

In comes the PD.  Our principal has been kind enough to keep the exploratory teachers in the loop (non-core teachers and special program teachers) as we are usually the first to go.  One teacher has lost it. She has cursed, she has posted profanity laden rants on facebook despite friending several key people in the district.   :o  She has told -yes told - the principal that she wouldn't dare excess her because she is the only one who does any f*****g thing.  Somehow she was totally oblivious to the fact that the principal was/is documenting the crap out of this and was totally shocked when she was forced onto a behavior plan.

She is boasting about not following the plan.  I really don't see this working out well for her despite the fact that she is 2 years from retirement.  Quite frankly the district is quietly looking for ways to get rid of the 20+ year teachers because for every two of those that go they can hire 3 new teachers and a part time aid.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5556 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
  I really don't see this working out well for her despite the fact that she is 2 years from retirement.  Quite frankly the district is quietly looking for ways to get rid of the 20+ year teachers because for every two of those that go they can hire 3 new teachers and a part time aid.

I have noticed the state university system requiring employees of retirement age with the maximum years of service into retirement. Most of them come back as non-benefit employees after the mandatory 6 months of retirement. This came up in a discussion last week and one of our staff mentioned it was age discrimination, but this is not, at least in my state since the retirement plan pays the same as the salary for the final year of employment.

alkira6

« Reply #5557 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »
  I really don't see this working out well for her despite the fact that she is 2 years from retirement.  Quite frankly the district is quietly looking for ways to get rid of the 20+ year teachers because for every two of those that go they can hire 3 new teachers and a part time aid.

I have noticed the state university system requiring employees of retirement age with the maximum years of service into retirement. Most of them come back as non-benefit employees after the mandatory 6 months of retirement. This came up in a discussion last week and one of our staff mentioned it was age discrimination, but this is not, at least in my state since the retirement plan pays the same as the salary for the final year of employment.

Our pension is crap quite frankly.  We contribute several hundred dollars per month (mandatory) to the state pension fund.  If you do the standard 30 years your retirement is 45% (or lower, depending on when you were hired) of the average of your last 5 years.  Then insurance is deducted.  I am getting better returns on a 25 year mutual fund that I contribute $100 a month to.

lietya

« Reply #5558 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
There is a running joke at my company that they won't fire *anybody.* Then there was the guy who spent every day looking at naked people on the internet (in front of a plate-glass window to the rest of the office) and the two caught independently making off with piles of materials that the company sells, all of whom decided to test the theory that no one is fired - and they lost.

Could be worse, though. It just hit the news that a local college IT director was caught both collecting and selling large amounts of illegal photos of children, and had hacked into students' accounts to boot. Not only his head rolled on that one (being in jail on multiple felony charges makes it hard to keep a job); looks like his direct supervisor is answering some tough questions too.

greencat

« Reply #5559 on: March 20, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
I'm wondering if I should gently point out to the new guy that he REALLY shouldn't keep his "adult material" on the USB stick he puts into his work PC, or just tell my boss about it.  He left it plugged into the PC and the next guy at the workstation opened it up...There was a video that purported to be about cougars, and it was not a wildlife documentary.

weeblewobble

« Reply #5560 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
A new instructor at my son's Dojang (TaeKwonDo) just committed professional darwinism.  Apparently, he didn't want to work with the female students because they 'would never be serious about the sport so teaching them is a waste of time'.  He made this comment in front of the owner of the establishment and was out the door so fast I'm surprised he didn't actually bounce.

What the heck? When I was still taking Tae Kwon Do classes, my master made sure the women weren't being neglected because he wanted to make sure we could protect ourselves. Which involved some interesting matchups for sparring. Like my barely 5'3" self matched up to the guy who was well over a foot taller.

Right... because women wouldn't want to know how to defend themselves.   ::) ::) ::)

If anything, my instructors work me harder because they know that I travel often, alone, in large cities, and want me to feel comfortable in my ability to take care of myself.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5561 on: March 20, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
We have several PD candidacies brewing at work. 

I work in a hospital.

PD candidate #1 - student nurse who, while working, convinced a staff member to look up records for her boyfriend's dying father, reading the information, then spreading all sorts of misinformation around to the family, causing much grief, confusion and consternation. 

PD candidate #2 - the staff member who looked up the records.

This has been brought to light by a complaint to the hospital from one of the relatives.  Relative wants nothing done, didn't name the PD trainee but mentioned she was now employed as an RN, and specified that this was because PD trainee's brother had repeatedly assaulted members of the dying man's family, and the relative was afraid of him.   ::)  Talk about impossible patron requests...

It should be relatively simple to find out the staff member who logged into the patient system to get the records (everything is logged), and once that happens it should be easy enough to find out who the trainee is.  But we (hospital) can't do anything about it because the complaining relative wants nothing done.  I suppose it means an eye could be kept on the now RN to see if there were any more violations of patient privacy (and anything else - particularly with her brother...) but that's all that can be done right now.

So, we have two staff members that have violated patient privacy laws, we don't as yet know who, and can't do anything about it right now.  One of whom has a violent and apparently volatile brother.  Talk about a ticking time bomb...

shadowfox79

« Reply #5562 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »
One of our lecturers may have dropped herself in it this week.

"Sirena" is a young, pretty lecturer who knows how to ingratiate herself with the students and also how to get herself out of trouble with management. When there is a deadline to be met she will never, ever meet it, no matter how hard you chase her, and when the Head of School finally pulls her in about all these unconfirmed minutes and missing exam papers she brings out the waterworks. We dread having to deal with her.

However, I was typing up student module evaluations this week for a module she teaches on. The other tutor on the module is an African man. I came to an abrupt halt when, on one of the evals, I found the comment "I believe Sirena is racist." Going through the rest of the evals I pulled out five which all stated that Sirena spends a lot of class time directing hostility towards the other tutor, even trying to incite the students against him.

I suspect there would have been many more comments had she actually said something specifically racist. However, clearly this is unprofessional, so I sent the copies over to the Head of School. He let me know he'll be investigating it. Hoo boy.

Update to this one - an email was sent round today by the Head of School stating that Sirena is leaving at the end of this month and will be taking leave as of today.

The official story appears to be that she's starting her own business, but under the circumstances, I do wonder. I know the module I mentioned above has been cancelled for next year due to "a module team that doesn't work", but if this isn't related to the evals it's quite coincidental (and very fast).

Amara

« Reply #5563 on: March 21, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »
Schools are so good at doublespeak.  ::)

Xanadude

« Reply #5564 on: March 22, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
Yarnspiner - regarding your nonworking evangelizing coworker -
Have none of the people in charge of her ever thought of having her complete a work log?  I had to do that for one of my CSRs who was majorly slacking off (and, to be equitable, had to make everyone else do one as well - but they didn't mind since even though it was unspoken we all knew WHY we were doing it).  Once evaluation time came out, I had an actual concrete example of the work that they did not do and was able to proceed from there.