News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 08:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4288956 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5460 on: March 17, 2014, 09:15:25 AM »
  I really don't see this working out well for her despite the fact that she is 2 years from retirement.  Quite frankly the district is quietly looking for ways to get rid of the 20+ year teachers because for every two of those that go they can hire 3 new teachers and a part time aid.

I have noticed the state university system requiring employees of retirement age with the maximum years of service into retirement. Most of them come back as non-benefit employees after the mandatory 6 months of retirement. This came up in a discussion last week and one of our staff mentioned it was age discrimination, but this is not, at least in my state since the retirement plan pays the same as the salary for the final year of employment.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

alkira6

« Reply #5461 on: March 17, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »
  I really don't see this working out well for her despite the fact that she is 2 years from retirement.  Quite frankly the district is quietly looking for ways to get rid of the 20+ year teachers because for every two of those that go they can hire 3 new teachers and a part time aid.

I have noticed the state university system requiring employees of retirement age with the maximum years of service into retirement. Most of them come back as non-benefit employees after the mandatory 6 months of retirement. This came up in a discussion last week and one of our staff mentioned it was age discrimination, but this is not, at least in my state since the retirement plan pays the same as the salary for the final year of employment.

Our pension is crap quite frankly.  We contribute several hundred dollars per month (mandatory) to the state pension fund.  If you do the standard 30 years your retirement is 45% (or lower, depending on when you were hired) of the average of your last 5 years.  Then insurance is deducted.  I am getting better returns on a 25 year mutual fund that I contribute $100 a month to.

lietya

« Reply #5462 on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
There is a running joke at my company that they won't fire *anybody.* Then there was the guy who spent every day looking at naked people on the internet (in front of a plate-glass window to the rest of the office) and the two caught independently making off with piles of materials that the company sells, all of whom decided to test the theory that no one is fired - and they lost.

Could be worse, though. It just hit the news that a local college IT director was caught both collecting and selling large amounts of illegal photos of children, and had hacked into students' accounts to boot. Not only his head rolled on that one (being in jail on multiple felony charges makes it hard to keep a job); looks like his direct supervisor is answering some tough questions too.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5463 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
I'm wondering if I should gently point out to the new guy that he REALLY shouldn't keep his "adult material" on the USB stick he puts into his work PC, or just tell my boss about it.  He left it plugged into the PC and the next guy at the workstation opened it up...There was a video that purported to be about cougars, and it was not a wildlife documentary.

weeblewobble

« Reply #5464 on: March 20, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
A new instructor at my son's Dojang (TaeKwonDo) just committed professional darwinism.  Apparently, he didn't want to work with the female students because they 'would never be serious about the sport so teaching them is a waste of time'.  He made this comment in front of the owner of the establishment and was out the door so fast I'm surprised he didn't actually bounce.

What the heck? When I was still taking Tae Kwon Do classes, my master made sure the women weren't being neglected because he wanted to make sure we could protect ourselves. Which involved some interesting matchups for sparring. Like my barely 5'3" self matched up to the guy who was well over a foot taller.

Right... because women wouldn't want to know how to defend themselves.   ::) ::) ::)

If anything, my instructors work me harder because they know that I travel often, alone, in large cities, and want me to feel comfortable in my ability to take care of myself.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5465 on: March 20, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
We have several PD candidacies brewing at work. 

I work in a hospital.

PD candidate #1 - student nurse who, while working, convinced a staff member to look up records for her boyfriend's dying father, reading the information, then spreading all sorts of misinformation around to the family, causing much grief, confusion and consternation. 

PD candidate #2 - the staff member who looked up the records.

This has been brought to light by a complaint to the hospital from one of the relatives.  Relative wants nothing done, didn't name the PD trainee but mentioned she was now employed as an RN, and specified that this was because PD trainee's brother had repeatedly assaulted members of the dying man's family, and the relative was afraid of him.   ::)  Talk about impossible patron requests...

It should be relatively simple to find out the staff member who logged into the patient system to get the records (everything is logged), and once that happens it should be easy enough to find out who the trainee is.  But we (hospital) can't do anything about it because the complaining relative wants nothing done.  I suppose it means an eye could be kept on the now RN to see if there were any more violations of patient privacy (and anything else - particularly with her brother...) but that's all that can be done right now.

So, we have two staff members that have violated patient privacy laws, we don't as yet know who, and can't do anything about it right now.  One of whom has a violent and apparently volatile brother.  Talk about a ticking time bomb...

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

shadowfox79

« Reply #5466 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
One of our lecturers may have dropped herself in it this week.

"Sirena" is a young, pretty lecturer who knows how to ingratiate herself with the students and also how to get herself out of trouble with management. When there is a deadline to be met she will never, ever meet it, no matter how hard you chase her, and when the Head of School finally pulls her in about all these unconfirmed minutes and missing exam papers she brings out the waterworks. We dread having to deal with her.

However, I was typing up student module evaluations this week for a module she teaches on. The other tutor on the module is an African man. I came to an abrupt halt when, on one of the evals, I found the comment "I believe Sirena is racist." Going through the rest of the evals I pulled out five which all stated that Sirena spends a lot of class time directing hostility towards the other tutor, even trying to incite the students against him.

I suspect there would have been many more comments had she actually said something specifically racist. However, clearly this is unprofessional, so I sent the copies over to the Head of School. He let me know he'll be investigating it. Hoo boy.

Update to this one - an email was sent round today by the Head of School stating that Sirena is leaving at the end of this month and will be taking leave as of today.

The official story appears to be that she's starting her own business, but under the circumstances, I do wonder. I know the module I mentioned above has been cancelled for next year due to "a module team that doesn't work", but if this isn't related to the evals it's quite coincidental (and very fast).

Amara

« Reply #5467 on: March 21, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Schools are so good at doublespeak.  ::)

Xanadude

« Reply #5468 on: March 22, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »
Yarnspiner - regarding your nonworking evangelizing coworker -
Have none of the people in charge of her ever thought of having her complete a work log?  I had to do that for one of my CSRs who was majorly slacking off (and, to be equitable, had to make everyone else do one as well - but they didn't mind since even though it was unspoken we all knew WHY we were doing it).  Once evaluation time came out, I had an actual concrete example of the work that they did not do and was able to proceed from there.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #5469 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
Yarnspiner - regarding your nonworking evangelizing coworker -
Have none of the people in charge of her ever thought of having her complete a work log?  I had to do that for one of my CSRs who was majorly slacking off (and, to be equitable, had to make everyone else do one as well - but they didn't mind since even though it was unspoken we all knew WHY we were doing it).  Once evaluation time came out, I had an actual concrete example of the work that they did not do and was able to proceed from there.

Hmmmm....where I work, we were for a time asked to keep work logs.  The reason given was that because our supervisor at that time was the supervisor for several different departments, she didn't know how much time we spent doing what we did (such as helping customers on the phone) and she wanted to know more about it so she could give more detailed evaluations at the time they would be needed-and her time was spread so thinly between her departments, she wasn't around any individual one to see for herself in detail.

Now, I'm wondering if there was a slacking-off co-worker somewhere around that at least partially motivated that.   :)

andi

« Reply #5470 on: March 22, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Xanadude- I did the same thing we all the people I supervised. It saved so much hassle. It was all there in black and white. We reviewed to each week so no surprises.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5471 on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
My new coworker is committing PD.  I do not think he is going to last out the month, much less his probationary period.

He is obnoxious.  He is a never-ending stream of self-aggrandizing conversation about topics that typically don't interest the other person, and attempts to disengage from the conversation get steamrolled over.
He gets up in our personal space.  Multiple people, myself included, have had to tell him to back off.
He responds to every attempt to tell him about any job duty with one of a few responses:
  • "I'm new and I'm learning." - repeated ad nauseum over whatever you're trying to tell him about.  It's hard to learn when you're not listening!
  • "We did it this other way at one of my old jobs." Go back there, please!
  • "I'm not going to do it that way; I'm going to do it my way." Learn how to do it first and then find your way.
  • "I don't want to read the procedure; I just want someone to show me how to do it."  When he was shown a process without having the documentation in front of him first, he griped about that too!

With me specifically:
Asked my age.  Got told "It's none of your business."  Repeated the question.  Got told "It's none of your business."  Starting making guesses about the year I was born.  Got told "It's none of your business."  This time, with the Glare of Death attached to it.

He made a series of comments regarding my upcoming convention costume which, altogether, ended up being quite inappropriate.  Fortunately my boss witnessed at least part of this.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5472 on: March 23, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
^ He will not survive the probation period.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

andi

« Reply #5473 on: March 23, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
Calling in sock to work all week, then posting pictures of yourself at various family functions on Facebook. Especially when your "friends" with several people you work with

I realize a person could possible feel bad enough to not come to work for a full shift, but we'll enogh for a bit of a trip out later in the day - but posting pics is just stupid IMO

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5474 on: March 24, 2014, 02:06:33 AM »
Calling in sock to work all week, then posting pictures of yourself at various family functions on Facebook. Especially when your "friends" with several people you work with

I realize a person could possible feel bad enough to not come to work for a full shift, but we'll enogh for a bit of a trip out later in the day - but posting pics is just stupid IMO

I'll admit it.  I'm 12 years old.  But...

"Hey, boss?  Yeah, I can't come in.  I'm a knee-high argyle today."