Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1290625 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5565 on: March 22, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
Yarnspiner - regarding your nonworking evangelizing coworker -
Have none of the people in charge of her ever thought of having her complete a work log?  I had to do that for one of my CSRs who was majorly slacking off (and, to be equitable, had to make everyone else do one as well - but they didn't mind since even though it was unspoken we all knew WHY we were doing it).  Once evaluation time came out, I had an actual concrete example of the work that they did not do and was able to proceed from there.

Hmmmm....where I work, we were for a time asked to keep work logs.  The reason given was that because our supervisor at that time was the supervisor for several different departments, she didn't know how much time we spent doing what we did (such as helping customers on the phone) and she wanted to know more about it so she could give more detailed evaluations at the time they would be needed-and her time was spread so thinly between her departments, she wasn't around any individual one to see for herself in detail.

Now, I'm wondering if there was a slacking-off co-worker somewhere around that at least partially motivated that.   :)

andi

« Reply #5566 on: March 22, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
Xanadude- I did the same thing we all the people I supervised. It saved so much hassle. It was all there in black and white. We reviewed to each week so no surprises.

greencat

« Reply #5567 on: March 22, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
My new coworker is committing PD.  I do not think he is going to last out the month, much less his probationary period.

He is obnoxious.  He is a never-ending stream of self-aggrandizing conversation about topics that typically don't interest the other person, and attempts to disengage from the conversation get steamrolled over.
He gets up in our personal space.  Multiple people, myself included, have had to tell him to back off.
He responds to every attempt to tell him about any job duty with one of a few responses:
  • "I'm new and I'm learning." - repeated ad nauseum over whatever you're trying to tell him about.  It's hard to learn when you're not listening!
  • "We did it this other way at one of my old jobs." Go back there, please!
  • "I'm not going to do it that way; I'm going to do it my way." Learn how to do it first and then find your way.
  • "I don't want to read the procedure; I just want someone to show me how to do it."  When he was shown a process without having the documentation in front of him first, he griped about that too!

With me specifically:
Asked my age.  Got told "It's none of your business."  Repeated the question.  Got told "It's none of your business."  Starting making guesses about the year I was born.  Got told "It's none of your business."  This time, with the Glare of Death attached to it.

He made a series of comments regarding my upcoming convention costume which, altogether, ended up being quite inappropriate.  Fortunately my boss witnessed at least part of this.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5568 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
^ He will not survive the probation period.

andi

« Reply #5569 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
Calling in sock to work all week, then posting pictures of yourself at various family functions on Facebook. Especially when your "friends" with several people you work with

I realize a person could possible feel bad enough to not come to work for a full shift, but we'll enogh for a bit of a trip out later in the day - but posting pics is just stupid IMO

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5570 on: March 24, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
Calling in sock to work all week, then posting pictures of yourself at various family functions on Facebook. Especially when your "friends" with several people you work with

I realize a person could possible feel bad enough to not come to work for a full shift, but we'll enogh for a bit of a trip out later in the day - but posting pics is just stupid IMO

I'll admit it.  I'm 12 years old.  But...

"Hey, boss?  Yeah, I can't come in.  I'm a knee-high argyle today."

StarFaerie

« Reply #5571 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:53 AM »

I'll admit it.  I'm 12 years old.  But...

"Hey, boss?  Yeah, I can't come in.  I'm a knee-high argyle today."

So much love for this.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5572 on: March 24, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »

Calling in sock or sick? Lol!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Margo

« Reply #5573 on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

this has me scampering down mental rabbit holes - I'm now trying to remember which (late Victorian?) writer wrote a story in which a time traveller found himself in a society in which illness was seen as a moral failing, rather than a physical one, so if you were under the weather you would excuse yourself by 'admitting' to some minor crime such as stealing a paid of socks - stealing not being seen as particularly heinous.it's going to bug me until I place it, now. . .

EDITED TO ADD - Finally remembered - it's Erewhon!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:35:47 AM by Margo »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5574 on: March 24, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »

this has me scampering down mental rabbit holes - I'm now trying to remember which (late Victorian?) writer wrote a story in which a time traveller found himself in a society in which illness was seen as a moral failing, rather than a physical one, so if you were under the weather you would excuse yourself by 'admitting' to some minor crime such as stealing a paid of socks - stealing not being seen as particularly heinous.it's going to bug me until I place it, now. . .

Yet another interesting typo. Stealing paid socks? ;D

Isn't that just... walking out of the store with your purchase? "Hey, I stole some socks! And I only had to pay $5.99 to the store to sneak them out!"
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

andi

« Reply #5575 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »
And that is why you should not type late at night when you should be asleep

Lol. It really should be "sick". (and I almost did it again)

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5576 on: March 24, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm face-palming today.    My admin team are repeatedly forgetting a very important process.    It's a very simple process, basically about escalating via email to a specific person if a specific scenario occurs.  So if they get a phone call or email about XYZ, email <important person> straight away.    Instead we keep finding a week or so later that they have received a phone call or email about XYZ and done <something completely different with it> instead.   

I would suggest two additional things;
1) Ask them why this happened...tell them that you see it happening and you are trying to figure out why.  You think it is clear but clearly others don't. Tell them to be frank.  Also if it is very infrequent it is hard to remember the procedure.   

2) Make the consequences for this worse than they are now. Now they just get a stern talking to .  Is this part of their goals for the year? Make it part of it.  "100% compliance with Procedure X".  Then there will be financial consequences. 
Or have them go in front of big boss and explain why this happened AGAIN.

Instead of boss just talking to them,

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5577 on: March 24, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »
I was visualizing a poster with sock puppets calling in sick for him.

MrSick - Sorry, boss, I'm home with a cold.
MrSick1 - Yes, he's really sick, I've told him he's not fit to come to work.
MrSick2 - Agreed. And it's contagious.
MrSick3 - Actually, it's probably not a cold. I think it's pneumonia. He should be in bed for at least the next couple of weeks.
MrSick - Aww, you guys!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5578 on: March 24, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »
DH is in a managerial position at work. A few weeks ago he had to make a decision and an employee didn't like it. The employee never said a word about it to DH but instead went to people above DH's head and tried to get him in trouble, resorting to a few outright lies about DH to make his story better. Everybody knows that the employee lied, he has a reputation for stirring up trouble, but it's not a situation where anything can really be done because the accusation is that DH said something rude so it can't be proved or disproved. Upper management has decided to basically tell everyone to get along and wait for it to blow over, which is fine by DH.

The thing is, even though the issue was weeks ago, this employee has continued talking crap about DH, continued to spread this lie and perpetuate the gossip, and ramped up the drama by including a few other managers into the mix. DH had to go talk to their equivalent of HR yesterday because if the employee doesn't knock it off he's going to get himself in trouble and they wanted DH's side of the story. DH has NO interest in pursuing it, he wants to guy to drop it and the whole thing to blow over, but at this point it's out of his hands.

That's all borderline PD as-is, but what pushes it over the edge is that a couple of days ago this employee approached a few of DH's fellow managers and asked how he can get promoted to be a manager, too. Well let's see, you cause the managers problems every chance you get, you go to their boss and try to get them in big trouble over tiny issues every chance you get, none of them trust you (a very important part of the job!), and nobody wants to work with you. So yeah, good luck with that.  ::)

SoCalVal

« Reply #5579 on: March 24, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
I was visualizing a poster with sock puppets calling in sick for him.

MrSick - Sorry, boss, I'm home with a cold.
MrSick1 - Yes, he's really sick, I've told him he's not fit to come to work.
MrSick2 - Agreed. And it's contagious.
MrSick3 - Actually, it's probably not a cold. I think it's pneumonia. He should be in bed for at least the next couple of weeks.
MrSick - Aww, you guys!

Wouldn't they all be MrSock, MrSock1...  ;)