News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 04:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4291493 times)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5490 on: April 02, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
My department just starting doing a recheck on everyone's driving license status before checking out a vehicle after one of our employees got pulled over in a company vehicle with a suspended license  :o  The other location of my department works the car checkout on an honor system where you just sign a book, because they need to do it so frequently, so the office manager over there has requested everyone's license effective immediately so she can do a check.  One of my coworkers over there has refused repeatedly to do so - it seems that he is aware that his license is suspended!

dawbs

« Reply #5491 on: April 02, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
My department just starting doing a recheck on everyone's driving license status before checking out a vehicle after one of our employees got pulled over in a company vehicle with a suspended license  :o  The other location of my department works the car checkout on an honor system where you just sign a book, because they need to do it so frequently, so the office manager over there has requested everyone's license effective immediately so she can do a check.  One of my coworkers over there has refused repeatedly to do so - it seems that he is aware that his license is suspended!
FWIW, if you're in one of the states that has handy magnetic strips on the license, they can be used to clock things in and out.
Mr Dawbs has to swipe his every time he clocks in at work--it's the best way to be sure that everyone has valid licenses.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5492 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »
FWIW, if you're in one of the states that has handy magnetic strips on the license, they can be used to clock things in and out.
Mr Dawbs has to swipe his every time he clocks in at work--it's the best way to be sure that everyone has valid licenses.

We only have about 30 or so people checking out the cars on a regular basis, so I doubt that the benefit of getting a system like that instead of doing it by hand is worth the expense.  We also don't clock in since most people are salaried, and they'd probably be pretty offended if they had to start punching a time clock!

FauxFoodist

« Reply #5493 on: April 05, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
We are hiring in my department area and will sometimes get candidates who also completed their student externships in our area, which can make or break them as far as being considered.  This PD's behavior during her externship "broke" her as far as EVER being considered for a position in our area.

The externships are competitive, and the schools with whom we are connected are told only to send their top student(s) to apply for the externship, for which they have to complete a timed calculations test, a skills test and undergo an interview to see if they'd be able to handle the externship.  Despite all this, we sometimes get bad apples (twice now in the 5+ years I've been there so it doesn't happen often).  Student was instructed multiple times by the staff training her to PUT AWAY HER CELL PHONE AND STOP TEXTING.  She wouldn't stop!  There were some other behavioral issues I was told (can't remember what they were at this time).  Really, who wants to hire someone who, just as a student, would jeopardize accuracy of processing a patient's medication order by fiddling around with her cell phone instead?

Anyway, Candidate's app came across my desk so I forwarded it to the appropriate parties.  I was told she would not be invited to interview for the issues I outlined previously so I processed her as "rejected," which means she disappears off the list of applicants and, I'm pretty sure, would not come up on our lists again.  Sometimes, you want to tell these students, "Do you really want to spend $10-15,000 for an education you will just throw away on stupid things like playing with your phone when the opportunity to advance yourself comes along?"  Yeah, she (or her parents) would've had to spend about that much money for her education at the vocational school, and it was far more important to her to spend her hard-earned externship texting, rather than paying any attention to what staff was trying to teach her.

Tosca

« Reply #5494 on: April 05, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
Someone in my field was applying for work.  It's an artistic pursuit, VERY competitive and VERY subjective; it's important to be good at what you do, but it's equally important to be able to play nicely with others.  She was interviewing with the head honcho of one of THE major places to work at.

She didn't get the job, and emailed HH asking for feedback on her interview; what did she do that resulted in her not being chosen?  An unusual request, but not unreasonable.  He wrote back giving the requested feedback.

She wrote back a ranty and frankly insulting reply, saying he was TOTALLY missing the point of what the field was all about, and he should have TOTALLY chosen her because HER SKILLS ARE JUST THAT GOOD and REASONS!!!!!  She wasn't secretive about it - she was ringing around all sorts of people, reading the email out aver the phone and declaring her intention to send it.  Everyone told her not to.  She did.

HH was about as impressed as you'd expect.  It's a very small field, even globally, and people talk.  She just insulted the HH of the most prestigious "firm" in the world.  We're pretty confident she will never work in the field, anywhere.  Even the small semi-pro places locally don't want to touch her.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #5495 on: April 05, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
Wow, way to burn all your bridges. That kind of stunt will follow her forevermore, and the fact that she was repeatedly warned and did it anyway? Really, really dumb.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

bo

« Reply #5496 on: April 06, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
At my husband's work they hired a Junior developer.Now this company is a great place to work for. They frequently take workers out to dinner, pay for lunch, give good bonuses, and even lend money if needed.

So, Jr. developer is assigned to a project. Basically he wasted time until crunch time, when the project was due and his part was not done. He was advised he needed to stay late to make sure it is finished.Now in the company's defense if you work late one night, you are allowed to come in late the next day and noone blinks an eye.
Jr. developer agrees but at 6:pm he is not found anywhere he just up and left and told noone!

So DH pulls jd aside the next day explains he need to communicate then asks him "Are you committed to this project?" Jd looks DH straight in the eye shrugs his shoulders and says "Not really". Okaaay. Dh then asks him if he wants to be moved onto another project  or what he wants to do.JD says No, he wants to be on this project . Uhmm ok. DH is at a loss to do so he passes this along to CEO. CEO brings jd in the room and asks him the same question about being committed and JD says the same thing!

DH is predicted he won't be there long. They basically took the jd's tasks away from him and assigned him easy tasks.

HorseFreak

« Reply #5497 on: April 07, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
One of the assistants at the small business I work at has committed full-on PD. She has only been employed for a few weeks, but has done numerous things to get fired:
- Start the gossip/trash talking on her first day
- Make the lower level assistant cry (she's a very sweet girl and did NOTHING to deserve such treatment)
- Show up in a grungy, ancient, cracked applique sweatshirt instead of professional dress then complain she's being singled out because another worker wore an (acceptable) collared shirt over her work shirt. A tidy fleece also would have been acceptable, but this looked more like something I wouldn't go to Walmart in
- Go ballistic when the boss gives a warning to all the new staff that theft will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted and accuse Boss of singling her out. I was at the meeting and NO ONE was singled out. The warning was given due to previous problems.
- Instead of talking to Boss about how she communicates (writes on a board instead of direct...it's obnoxious, but nothing to get that fired up about) rant to every other staff member about how disrespectful it is
- Do her job halfway or not at all. Glare at me when requested she do some regular tasks within her job description.

And the topper: call Boss (owner) a certain body sphincter associated with donkeys to me while working on a Saturday morning, complain about Boss in a PA fashion in front of a client, and make several other disparaging remarks all in three hours. I was given permission to send her home, but I needed the help that day and I wasn't the one being called bad words.

She was supposed to come in after lunch today and Boss called her to say not to bother, then called me to apologize for having to deal with her which wasn't necessary at all.

magicdomino

« Reply #5498 on: April 07, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
One of the assistants at the small business I work at has committed full-on PD. She has only been employed for a few weeks, but has done numerous things to get fired:
- Start the gossip/trash talking on her first day
- Make the lower level assistant cry (she's a very sweet girl and did NOTHING to deserve such treatment)
- Show up in a grungy, ancient, cracked applique sweatshirt instead of professional dress then complain she's being singled out because another worker wore an (acceptable) collared shirt over her work shirt. A tidy fleece also would have been acceptable, but this looked more like something I wouldn't go to Walmart in
- Go ballistic when the boss gives a warning to all the new staff that theft will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted and accuse Boss of singling her out. I was at the meeting and NO ONE was singled out. The warning was given due to previous problems.
- Instead of talking to Boss about how she communicates (writes on a board instead of direct...it's obnoxious, but nothing to get that fired up about) rant to every other staff member about how disrespectful it is
- Do her job halfway or not at all. Glare at me when requested she do some regular tasks within her job description.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.  A guilty conscience, perhaps?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5499 on: April 08, 2014, 02:58:12 PM »
This hit the media last week.  A state employee (not my department, but Human Services) left their work laptop in their car and it was stolen.  The lap top had some fairly high level encryption but the flash drive that was in it was not encrypted AT ALL.  Over 2500 people have had their personal information stolen, including: full legal name, date of birth, social security number, medical history, and income information.

I read the press release and wanted to scream at the person who left the laptop in their car: Duuuuuude!  Lying on the front seat of your car?????????

The state is trying to figure out all the people potentially affected.  My only hope is that who ever stole it just wanted the laptop, and pitched the flash drive.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hillia

« Reply #5500 on: April 10, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
DS shared an example of preemptive PD today.

The company he works for is hiring salespeople.  He saw an email that was sent to the address used for receiving resumes.  Apparently the writer had sent his resume in a few times and had received the 'Thank you for your interest,but no thanks response each time.  After the third rejection, he sent a furious, expletive-filled rant about how wonderful he was and how much they'd regret not hiring him, and how stupid the recruiter was for not realizing it.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5501 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »
http://gawker.com/professor-suspended-over-threatening-game-of-thrones-1564357810

Professor posts a picture of his daughter wearing a shirt with a Game of Thrones quote - "I'll take what is mine with fire and blood".

The administration suspended him. They are claiming that he could be threatening to shoot up the school. It had nothing to do with the fact the professor had filed a grievance about being denied a sabbatical.  The faculty had registered a no confidence vote against the University President.

It sounds like the administration might be committing PD.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:14:55 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

AngelicGamer

« Reply #5502 on: April 17, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
http://gawker.com/professor-suspended-over-threatening-game-of-thrones-1564357810

Professor posts a picture of his daughter wearing a shirt with a Game of Thrones quote - "I'll take what is mine with fire and blood".

The administration suspended him. They are claiming that he could be threatening to shoot up the school. It had nothing to do with the fact the professor had filed a grievance about being denied a sabbatical.  The faculty had registered a no confidence vote against the University President.

I don't think there's any might about it there.  GoT is a popular fandom and it could just be that he's happy that he can share a fandom with his daughter.

Cherry91

« Reply #5503 on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:49 AM »

I don't think there's any might about it there.  GoT is a popular fandom and it could just be that he's happy that he can share a fandom with his daughter.

IIRC, there was a similar incident a few years ago at a university where a professor put a quote from Firefly on his door ("If I ever do kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be standing and you'll be armed" or something along those lines - it's the main character's response when one of the other characters asks what's stopping the MC from killing him in his sleep). The administration told him to take it down because it was "threatening" and when he complained threatened to suspend him.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #5504 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »

IIRC, there was a similar incident a few years ago at a university where a professor put a quote from Firefly on his door ("If I ever do kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be standing and you'll be armed" or something along those lines - it's the main character's response when one of the other characters asks what's stopping the MC from killing him in his sleep). The administration told him to take it down because it was "threatening" and when he complained threatened to suspend him.

He put a quote like that on his office door and was surprised when he was told to take it down? If someone in my office posted that I would definitely take it as a possible threat. That really has no place in a workplace.