Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1321057 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5880 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
That won't fly around here. I think they forgot to do any market research!

doodlemor

« Reply #5881 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
The pricey hamburger joint reminded me of a large department store in Buffalo, NY, that was only open for about 8 months or so. It was called Taylor's, and was in the building formerly occupied by a regionally famous department store called A. M. and A's.

I don't remember all of the details, but the store actually had a **dress code** for customers.  It wasn't one of those "no shirts, no shoes" things, either.  Women were supposed to wear high heels, I think, and no running shoes were allowed.  There were other stipulations, too, that I don't remember.  I wasn't surprised that the store closed so quickly.

Actually, the whole concept seemed so preposterous that I have always wondered if the store was not supposed to succeed in the first place.  Perhaps there were some sort of tricky financial dealings involved.

greencat

« Reply #5882 on: June 10, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
$5 actually -$6 for a Corona.

More on my now-former-new-coworker's PD:  He lied on his application, and fell asleep at his desk in front of the boss.  She had five pages of documented problems with this guy!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5883 on: June 11, 2014, 04:54:28 AM »
Those prices actually sound reasonable in Australia. $6-7 is what DH told me was average for a beer.

greencat

« Reply #5884 on: June 11, 2014, 05:16:46 AM »
Those prices actually sound reasonable in Australia. $6-7 is what DH told me was average for a beer.

They're reasonable in some areas of the country, like the extremely wealthy area the chain's original locations are in.  However, like ladyknight said - this is not that kind of market.  The beers they offer by the bottle for $6 can often be had in pitchers for $5 around here.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5885 on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
I don't remember all of the details, but the store actually had a **dress code** for customers.  It wasn't one of those "no shirts, no shoes" things, either.  Women were supposed to wear high heels, I think, and no running shoes were allowed.  There were other stipulations, too, that I don't remember.  I wasn't surprised that the store closed so quickly.

There was a store in a sketchier part of my hometown (Airline Blvd in Portsmouth, for any Hampton Roads people) that was sort of like JC Penney's or Sears. Mom and I walked in one time, were told "You must leave your purses at the counter to shop" and we said "Forget that, bye." For an antique / breakables shop, I'm fine with leaving my purse in the car trunk. To shop for clothes, though, nope, that's over the top  ::)

There was a post here way back about package delivery drivers. It was something like "We would get penalized for taking too long to deliver. Some drivers purposely drop packages at wrong addresses so they don't get dinged for time + there's a bonus for redelivering packages." I had never experienced that problem, until today. I saw a FedEx truck pull up in front of my yard. I could see from the porch the driver was moving lots of packages around. So then he went behind the truck, pulled out a really long, heavy package & spent quite a bit of time reading the label before using his scanner. He brought the box to the porch & said "Can you carry it in ? It's quite heavy." I thought "Oh wow, this box is huge! It's taller than me! I'm not expecting anything. Ooh, it's probably one of my contest prizes!" I was about to cart the box inside and rip it open, but then I noticed the address label. Instead of "Team Bhakta, 1000 Main Street" it said "Mitzy Jones-Green, 9735 Street Around The Block." Oh wait, where did that driver go ? He sure did run away awful fast! "*waves at truck* Sir, oh, Sir! *waves frantically* This isn't my package. You gave me someone else's package. This package is for someone named Mitzy Jones-Green on SATB. That isn't me. This is Main Street. SATB is that street over there." "What do you mean ?" "(Are you scrabbling with me, buddy ?  ???) This package is for someone on SATB. This package does not belong to me." And then he gave me one of those weird, fake laughs people do when you're caught red handed but want to palm it off as an accident. "Oh wow, it does say SATB. How did that happen ? I guess I grabbed the wrong package. I better go look in the truck again *comes back right away with correct tiny box*"  ::)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:45:20 PM by TeamBhakta »

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5886 on: June 11, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »

Harrods in London was notorious for its dress code in the 1990s. Their security guards would turn away people dressed too casually or "inappropriately." Wikipedia mentions a soldier in uniform, a scout troop, a woman with a mohican hair cut, a 15 stone (95 kg) woman and a Ukrainian football (soccer) team for wearing tracksuits Harrods said it was because the group as too large).

Now they just say "Refrain from wearing clothing which may reveal intimate parts of the body, or which portrays offensive pictures or writing"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #5887 on: June 12, 2014, 05:26:59 PM »
Heavens, I kind of want to nominate me & my coworkers right now.

I work with 5 women. We're all a part of the same department. Ever since our boss left a month ago, one of them (Cindy) has been trying to become our spokesperson/be in charge of us. Cindy is amazing at her job, but terrible at any kind of management. She's PA, she's forgetful, she doesn't read all of her emails, she takes things personally, the list goes on & on.

Anyways, Big Boss (used to be our boss's boss, is now our boss), gave Cindy a project. We're all to weigh in & do research, but it's Cindy's project. Cindy seems to think that means that she dictates what we do, and we're supposed to write things up for her. Um, no. It's your project, you're the one who presents it, you're the one who write it up. So we're currently at a stalemate because she keeps telling me & one other coworker (we're the youngest; Cindy is in her early 50s) to get it all written up for her, and we keep pushing back & saying "No, this is your project, we've sent you all our research, you need to put it together and read over it & make sure it makes sense". And & then says "If you type it & print it & give it to me, I'll look at it & then make corrections for you". And again, we say "No, it's your project, you do it".

(Just to be clear, we are all equals. We all have the same position. So there is no reason why Cindy should think we're doing this).

Anyways, we need to present this to Big Boss before he leaves, and we're now at a stalemate, because we're not doing it for her, and she won't do it. Incredibly stupid, I know, but we're all willing to make this a hill that we die on, because we're so sick of her trying to tell us what to do & acting like she is our boss.  :-\ >:(
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5888 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
Can you not tell the big boss beforehand, to clue him in?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Arila

« Reply #5889 on: June 12, 2014, 06:40:46 PM »
Speaking of the burger joints, a place recently opened up around the corner from our house. I was happy about it, because we had frequented the restaurant which has closed there. The sign says, "Pizza and Wings" great. I stop in to pick up dinner, and look at the menu, and don't see any pizza prices. I ask how large a medium pizza is, and how much it costs, "Oh, we decided not to do pizza after all"  ??? Well, OK. So, I look over, and there's some "grand opening specials" I think, I'll order off of that. There's...Korean BBQ sandwich (at a pizza and wings place? ??? ) but I like korean bbq, so I ask for that. Oops. They don't have that ready yet. OK, what about wings? Boneless? They don't have that ready yet either. WOW. So I just left. Maybe they were having trouble getting off the ground, but I think I would rather have some wasted food from not enough orders than not be able to serve customers in the initial days after opening, for exactly this reason: It's been months, and I haven't bothered going back.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5890 on: June 12, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
We had a Cuban and Mexican restaurant. It said both on the signs. You go in, the first time they had both. It was really good.

I went back, no Mexican and very little Cuban food available. Now? There is paper covering the windows and door, which does not indicate continued success.

JoW

« Reply #5891 on: June 12, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
The sales department at Gemu Valves.  http://www.gemu.com/about_gemu.html

No, you've never heard of them.  They sell valves and fittings and flow measuring tools to the food and pharmaceutical industries.  I have a pen that I picked up at their booth at a trade show in April.  It has their name on the barrel. 

You know the little thing on one end of a pen that you press to make the writing other end come out, then press again to bring that end back in?  That tip broke.  Now the point is permanently exposed.  The only to bring it back in is to use a tiny screwdriver in place of that same tip.  I'll use that pen for grocery lists and other things around the house until it runs dry.  And every time I see it I'll associate Gemu with low quality products. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5892 on: June 13, 2014, 01:26:39 AM »

No, you've never heard of them.  They sell valves and fittings and flow measuring tools to the food and pharmaceutical industries.  I have a pen that I picked up at their booth at a trade show in April.  It has their name on the barrel. 

You know the little thing on one end of a pen that you press to make the writing other end come out, then press again to bring that end back in?  That tip broke.  Now the point is permanently exposed.  The only to bring it back in is to use a tiny screwdriver in place of that same tip.  I'll use that pen for grocery lists and other things around the house until it runs dry.  And every time I see it I'll associate Gemu with low quality products.

I'm confused, do they actually manufacture pens?

Because I've received literally dozens of promotional pens over the years, and they're nearly always cheap and fall apart relatively quickly.  It never occurred to me that it reflected negatively on the company advertising on the pen - after all, they're just getting their name out there with a cheap free gift, not actually *endorsing* the pen. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5893 on: June 13, 2014, 02:30:47 AM »

I'm confused, do they actually manufacture pens?

Because I've received literally dozens of promotional pens over the years, and they're nearly always cheap and fall apart relatively quickly.  It never occurred to me that it reflected negatively on the company advertising on the pen - after all, they're just getting their name out there with a cheap free gift, not actually *endorsing* the pen.

Same here. Companies hand out free pens all the time. They're always of the cheap variety and I never expect them to last long... It would never cross my mind to associate the quality of the pen with the quality of the company's products... unless they actually make pens.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

JoW

« Reply #5894 on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
Most of the pens I get a trade shows work fine.  They may run out of ink sooner than a purchased pen.  The clip may break off.  But they are usable as pens.  My employer once gave the employees some pens that had been purchased as trade show give-aways.  Those pens required way too much pressure to write so they weren't suitable for giving to customers.  I figured most companies would only give out pens that work like pens.