News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3893581 times)

guihong

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11535 on: January 14, 2018, 12:37:08 AM »
Four cashiers, two baggers, and a security guard were all fired the other day for theft  :o.  Now the rest of us have more hours than we know what to do with.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #11536 on: January 14, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »
I could not scroll, but here’s the direct link: http://www.wlwt.com/article/kings-school-board-member-player-parent-resigns-over-jersey-controversy/15050873

“Guilty of not saying no.” That’s just a fancy way of saying they condoned it, correct?  ::)

My Jerk to English reader says it means, "I thought it was hilarious until someone applied consequences and now I'm pretending to be sorry."
Also, "I totally didn't do it, some other nasty totally people did it, I just didn't say no to it".

I particularly like the phrase "We must learn somethings are never funny." They were never funny to begin with and the fact he's hiding behind claiming "it was a joke, bro" probably means he was 100% fine with the joke until people called them out on it.
<3

Cleargleam

« Reply #11537 on: January 15, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
PD of the highest order: sending out false missile strike warnings to Hawaiians  :o

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/13/false-ballistic-missile-alert-rattles-hawaii/1031491001/

I think doing it *deliberately* (as a "joke") would be.  Human error still happens; people do make mistakes.

This incident *did* highlight a *process* that is broken (they are already saying that one corrective action is to require two individuals to initiate the alarm). 

I don't think one person should bear the accountability of the entire fiasco on his/her head alone.  As I understand it, the conditions in those bunkers is pretty unreal.  If my understanding is correct, there is too much time spent on training and testing ("too much" because the test becomes the only assessed metric).  This sort of situation led to mass cheating in the Air Force a few years ago.

The problem is the culture and the environment (and a broken process) more than simply one person's actions.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #11538 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
PD of the highest order: sending out false missile strike warnings to Hawaiians  :o

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/13/false-ballistic-missile-alert-rattles-hawaii/1031491001/

I think doing it *deliberately* (as a "joke") would be.  Human error still happens; people do make mistakes.

This incident *did* highlight a *process* that is broken (they are already saying that one corrective action is to require two individuals to initiate the alarm). 

I don't think one person should bear the accountability of the entire fiasco on his/her head alone.  As I understand it, the conditions in those bunkers is pretty unreal.  If my understanding is correct, there is too much time spent on training and testing ("too much" because the test becomes the only assessed metric).  This sort of situation led to mass cheating in the Air Force a few years ago.

The problem is the culture and the environment (and a broken process) more than simply one person's actions.

Another way the process is broken: most people had no idea of what they should do in response to an alarm. If you're setting up a warning system (for anything) you should also publish information about what to do if the event happens. I know a little more than I did a week ago, because one article I read about this false alarm included a pointer to ready.gov and a brief description of their advice.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

rashea

« Reply #11539 on: Yesterday at 09:39:07 AM »

Another way the process is broken: most people had no idea of what they should do in response to an alarm. If you're setting up a warning system (for anything) you should also publish information about what to do if the event happens. I know a little more than I did a week ago, because one article I read about this false alarm included a pointer to ready.gov and a brief description of their advice.

And maybe have an "oops" or "all clear" message ready. I guess a lot of the delay in telling people that there was no threat is they hadn't written that message.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

AnnaT

« Reply #11540 on: Yesterday at 04:58:06 PM »
And now it looks as if Japan has done the same thing...  :o

At least it only took them 5 minutes to send the "oops"...

DanaJ

« Reply #11541 on: Yesterday at 05:11:15 PM »

There is a photo circulating of what the screen looks like that resulted in the bad click. It is a really, really bad user interface design. It was a list that basically looks like:
  • Amber Alert - Statewide
  • Amber Alert - County Only
  • Missle Alert
  • Tsunami Warning
  • Landlside Road Closure
  • Drill - Missle Alert
  • High Surf Warning
Then there is a Yes/No confirmation. That this false alarm hasn't happened before now is shocking.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11542 on: Yesterday at 11:06:50 PM »
I keep seeing on tech subreddits that it's also a largely untested system, aside from looking like a toddler's first web page in 1996.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture