Author Topic: Fries and lies  (Read 7888 times)

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
Fries and lies
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
The glut of threads currently active re: lying and liars made me remember this story from my distant dating past. I think it has a moral and I don't think I was rude.

On our first date, he took me to Steak and Shake. U.S. Midwesterners will know it is a popular chain that serves delicious steak burgers and to die for shoestring fries. Which, we both ordered. He got the big burger and sides and I went for my usual single with cheese and fries. You therefore can imagine my surprise when he turned into the food police. He made some comment about me not caring what I ate. Then, he called me out for putting salt on my french fries.

Him: Whoa, you gonna add salt to those?
Me: No.
Him: Then why did you salt them?
Me: I didn't.
Him: Yes you did.
Me: No, I didn't.
Him: Yes, you did. I saw you.
Me: No you didn't.
Him: (sneering, mock patient with the "big fibber") Ooooooookaaaaaaay. (eye roll)

I slowly reached over, picked up the glass pepper shaker and held it up.

Me: What color is salt?
Him: (figuring it out finally) Oooooohhhhh! It was pepper. (laughing it off as if he hadn't just insinuated I was a liar, and a petty one.)

The moral--"liar" is such a harsh tag. Know your facts.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Fries and lies
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Oh, I hope there was no second date!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Flora Louise

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
I'm sorry to report, it was not the only date.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:36:30 PM by Flora Louise »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
Okay wait, let me make sure I got this straight.  He called you out for a single cheeseburger with fries when he ordered a big burger and fries? 

Sounds like a real prize.  I hope there weren't too many more dates following the first.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »

He took you to a burger restaurant and then called you out on your meal? I already have enough hassels with food to put up with that.
What a goose!. And he can't even tell the difference between salt and pepper? Einstein  ::)
Stewart/Colbert '16

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »
Nobody gets to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat.  There would have been no second date if that were me.

Flora Louise

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
Yes, well, I plead extreme youth.   ;)

Why do people do that? Start dating someone and then imediately set about "improving" the person?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
Young and Dumb Syndrome.  That's my excuse and I am sticking to it. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
Why do people do that? Start d@ting someone and then imediately set about "improving" the person?

To make themselves feel superior, I guess, or that they can pat themselves on the back when they're convinced they've succeeded in "Improving" the person.

There was a jewelry commercial I saw once that made me roll my eyes.   Might have been Zales, I'm not sure.   The voiceover was a woman talking about being able to design the perfect ring on the website.   Then she said "You have the rest of your life to design the perfect guy!"  ::)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mahdoumi

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »
Why do people do that? Start d@ting someone and then imediately set about "improving" the person?

To make themselves feel superior, I guess, or that they can pat themselves on the back when they're convinced they've succeeded in "Improving" the person.

There was a jewelry commercial I saw once that made me roll my eyes.   Might have been Zales, I'm not sure.   The voiceover was a woman talking about being able to design the perfect ring on the website.   Then she said "You have the rest of your life to design the perfect guy!"  ::)

That's horrible!  How Cosmo of them!

Blueberry

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

Then she said "You have the rest of your life to design the perfect guy!"  ::)

Did she give the website for this?  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
LMAO!! Blueberry! Hmm, I could find the commercial for you! :D

One of my best friends, whom I've mentioned in other threads, is in her 50's and never married.  Partly because she says she's too much of a free spirit and partly because she just never found a guy she'd want to settle down with.

She says she gave up 30 years ago trying to find the right guy and finds her imagination to be a lot more satisfying.  LOL!

Ender

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »
Yes, well, I plead extreme youth.   ;)

I have no idea why I read this as "Start d@ting someone and then immediately set them on fire."

Either way, it's not going to end well.

Flora Louise

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Bwahaha!  No. If he had tried to ignite me on the first date, even I would have called it off posthaste.  ;D