Author Topic: .  (Read 3139 times)

MomTo5Cats

« on: December 16, 2006, 11:09:20 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:53:53 PM by MomTo5Cats »

CardenSaraid

Re: Need a recipe for pumpkin pie
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
This one is so easy and so good.  It was the first recipe I used when I first made pumpkin pie.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »
This one is so easy and so good.  It was the first recipe I used when I first made pumpkin pie.

Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx

thanx! i'll give it a try!

If you have any doubts at all about making pie crust (mine NEVER turns out right, no matter what recipe I use), just get the crusts you can buy in the package in the grocery store.  Not the frozen ones already in the plate, but the refrigerated ones that you roll out and put in your own pie plate.  They are very very good and very very easy!

pblair38

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
As far as crust goes, I make my pumpkin chiffon pie (pumpkin pie, but you beat the egg whites separately and fold them in - makes it very fluffy) in crusts made out of crushed ginger snaps.  Out of this world! 

Penny

graceh9

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 11:07:20 PM »
Hi all!
I'm wanting to try making a pumpkin pie for my DF for Christmas. Only problem - i've never made a pie, let alone a pumpkin pie. I'm good at cakes & cookies though.

Anyone got a good recipe for someone with no experience?

use the one on the pumpkin can -- which calls for evaporated milk -- and add one extra egg which makes it custardier 

you can also get pumpkin pie mix in a can (the usual pumpkin that is canned is just the pumpkin) -- the advantage of this for the amatuer is that the spices are already in the mix -- you still add eggs and milk however

I made one of these at Thanksgiving because my SIL bought the mix because they didn't have all of the spices --

it made a very good pumpkin pie (using frozen pie crusts which are as good as most homemade ones)

amiboo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:07:13 PM »
i don't have a pie plate, so i bought the frozen ones today

You've already bought it but for future reference it's better to buy the disposable pie tins and use the Pillsbury pie shells that you unroll and place in the pan yourself than to get the shells that are frozen in the pie tin.  They are invariably mushy.  My MIL insists on using them even tho I proved to her one year that the Pillsbury ones you unroll are infinitely better.  I don't know why they're different since they're both frozen but in my experience they are very different. 

Edited to add that the Libby's recipe is good but go with one more egg and be sure to use the evaporated milk and not just regular milk, there is a difference.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:10:11 PM by amiboo »

thebadchemist

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:47:37 PM »
Word to the Pillsbury pie crusts. They are THE BEST.

I asked for a pumpkin pie recipe pre-Thanksgiving and this is the place to ask for them! There were several spectacular ones posted. You won't be disappointed with the feedback you get here.

I was a pumpkin pie newbie this year, too, and I can tell you that they are fabulously easy to make.

kkl123

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »
If crusts aren't your forte, consider making the Libby's pie recipe and baking it in individual custard cups set in a pan of water.  Fewer calories, tastes
as good, or so my family tells me.  A big can of Libby's pumpkin makes about 12 6 ounce custard cups, with another cup or so of filling that gets baked in the 2 c pyrex measuring cup.  <g>

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »
I'm going to go back to the store today & buy pie tins & the pillsbury crust. Enough people have suggested it that i'm gonna try it. :)

Another question - how far in advance can you make pumpkin pie?

You will be glad you did!  If you're near a drug store, or maybe even in your supermarket, look for a pyrex pie plate, instead of using those little tin ones.  They're super cheap ($4 or $5, I think) and you'll be able to use it for many other things besides pie.  Then you can put your crust into a "real" pie plate and it will absolutely look homemade!

You can't go wrong using the recipe on the can of Libby's pie filling.  I would suggest that unless you have all the different spices already sitting in your spice rack, just get a small container of "pumpkin pie spice" and use that.  It contains all the spices you need for a delicious pie.

You can make your pie a day ahead and keep it in the refrigerator.  I wouldn't make it too far ahead, though, because unless it's all eaten up on Christmas, you'll want to be able to store it in the refrigerator afterward.  The eggs in it will only keep 3 or 4 days total in the refrigerator.  After that, it starts to go off.

Good luck and enjoy your pie!

P.S.  If you find you have success with the Pillsbury pie crust and want to try something else, I have a recipe for homemade chocolate cream pie that will knock your socks off!

graceh9

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
i don't have a pie plate, so i bought the frozen ones today

You've already bought it but for future reference it's better to buy the disposable pie tins and use the Pillsbury pie shells that you unroll and place in the pan yourself than to get the shells that are frozen in the pie tin.  They are invariably mushy.  My MIL insists on using them even tho I proved to her one year that the Pillsbury ones you unroll are infinitely better.  I don't know why they're different since they're both frozen but in my experience they are very different. 

Edited to add that the Libby's recipe is good but go with one more egg and be sure to use the evaporated milk and not just regular milk, there is a difference.

If you are using the rolled crusts it is better to use a real pie plate -- makes them browner -- and also looks 'homemade' -- I made a shaker lemon pie last night with them and the crust WAS flakier, just better, than the frozen shells so I am switching to those in the future.  We used the first crop of lemons from my miniature lemon tree for the pie -- fabulous.

kkl123

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 04:36:17 PM »
I'd prefer to bake the pie the day before, but a couple of days is ok.  Just remember, the filling needs refrigeration.