Author Topic: Need Advice - Apple Pie  (Read 1671 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Need Advice - Apple Pie
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
I've been asked to bring rolls and apple pie for Christmas Day. I want to make the apple pie from scratch. I have Mom's recipe, but I've never done it before.

If I make the pie Sunday, could we reheated on Monday for dessert?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Need Advice - Apple Pie
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
Yes.  It can most definitely be reheated.  In fact, it might even be better the next day, as the flavors will have been given enough time to "meld" a bit with each other more.

kkl123

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:38:23 AM »
Sure you can reheat it.  If it doesn't disappear before then.  <g>  Around here, leftover apple pie is known as "breakfast". 

Choice of apples makes a big difference to apple pie -- some cook to mush, while others hold their shape when sliced and cooked.  Of the commonly available commercial apples this time of year, I'd probably use mostly Granny Smith, with a couple Golden Delicious (they mush and make a nice thickener). 

If I can get them, I'd prefer Northern Spy, Cox's Orange Pippin, Macoun or Ginger Golden to Granny Smith.  YMMV.

oops... nearly forgot... heap those apples up pretty high... they cook down
quite a bit.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:46:44 AM by kkl123 »

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 02:42:03 AM »
I LOVE Granny Smiths in pie. Their tartness really makes it taste special. If it's an apple pie with regular apples I'd rather just pass.

Also Pilsbury has pre-made crusts. My mother (who makes the best apple pie in the world) and the rest of our family swears by them. There is no need to spend an hour getting a crust just right, when someone has already made the perfect one for you. (But they are expensive considering it's just flour salt and water, but you make it back in lack of frustration)